• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

BLACKFALKIN'S ADVICE FOR ISU FANS & ALUM

BLACKFALKIN

If you guys want ISU to be a title contender, you guys have to press the issues. What are the issues?

1. Stadium - The color of the chairs and overall "look" of the dome... needs to be stepped up to D1 level.
2. Attendance - needs work. ISU should have 90%+ attendance. All of Pocatello should be at those games
3. Playing Surface :check:
4. Video Board :check:
= fan experience: Fan experience at the dome can use some work.
all of that will bring in better recruits, which in turn will turn Idaho State BACK into a title contender.

You're right about the seating...attendance will continue to go up as Coach K's teams get better and win more...the video board is nice enough (only about 3 years old), just needs to be used more efficiently, and if you were paying attention, you'd know that we have a GREAT Turf, just put in before the 2011 season. Thanks for the input, though...

votb said:
You're right about the seating...attendance will continue to go up as Coach K's teams get better and win more...the video board is nice enough (only about 3 years old), just needs to be used more efficiently, and if you were paying attention, you'd know that we have a GREAT Turf, just put in before the 2011 season. Thanks for the input, though...

Notice the :check: by playing surface. :coffee:

Guess I'd better pay attention...by the way...nice work on making it sound like I was screaming at you. Sensitive?

rcj480.jpg

+Needs larger pressbox. (take a page out of NAU's book)
+Needs endzone seating. (so what ...alter the dome's outer shell) The vandals need to do the same. BE FIRST.
+Need to paint all the seats the same color. replace the individual seats w/benches with back rails.
+Remove tacky looking banner ads. put them on YOUR NEW VIDEO BOARD.

=Beautiful Division 1 20k facility.

Red Hill's Advice for ISU Fans &Alumni:

Build a high school stadium in a farm field near the Spokane airport.

Make sure the high school field has just enough seats to take advantage of Griz fans who will travel to the game.

The stadium does not require locker rooms, you can just use a gas station restroom or if you are lucky, borrow some space from a basketball arena a 1/4 mile down the road.

Install a hideously ugly turf that will make you the laughingstock of college football but bring some short- lived national attention to the school.

In the spring before the turf is put in, tell recruits how beautiful it's going to look but don't EVER let them ever see it until they have already commited.

Most importantly, you need to be able to keep the talent from a very underated high school football state from leaving. You should have a shot at any player that is not being recruited by UW, WSU, or Central Washington and pray every night that the Zags never add a football team.

If this all works, you should at least be competitive and make a freak run at a national title whenever you decide to put in another ugly rug.

So who wants to help raise the $40,000 or so to build a high school stadium near the Spokane airport? This could be all we need to rise to the next level. I'm sure we could spray paint the grass if we needed to, just until funds are available for a disgusting color of turf.

Red Hill said:

Make sure the high school field has just enough seats to take advantage of Griz fans who will travel to the game.

The stadium does not require locker rooms, you can just use a gas station restroom or if you are lucky, borrow some space from a basketball arena a 1/4 mile down the road.

Install a hideously ugly turf that will make you the laughingstock of college football but bring some short- lived national attention to the school.

In the spring before the turf is put in, tell recruits how beautiful it's going to look but don't EVER let them ever see it until they have already commited.

Most importantly, you need to be able to keep the talent from a very underated high school football state from leaving. You should have a shot at any player that is not being recruited by UW, WSU, or Central Washington and pray every night that the Zags never add a football team.

If this all works, you should at least be competitive and make a freak run at a national title whenever you decide to put in another ugly rug.

So who wants to help raise the $40,000 or so to build a high school stadium near the Spokane airport? This could be all we need to rise to the next level. I'm sure we could spray paint the grass if we needed to, just until funds are available for a disgusting color of turf.

If Idaho state's dome was better than EWU's stadium... dont you think ISU would get better recruits? I was recruited by ISU AND EWU. I choose EWU. Guess what? EWU was the right choice. More BSC Titles, 2010 Natl Championship.

Anyway, lets look at the 3 Division 1 domes ISU's size:

qzkcna.jpg

2u8i1cx.jpg

4g0nf7.jpg

2lk3f6d.jpg

What we see at NAU & Idaho is:
+UPDATED LIGHTING (ESPN GAMES REQUIRE EXCELLENT LIGHTING)
+UNIFORMITY IN THE SEATING COLORS
+NO TACKY BANNER ADS HANGING FROM THE CEILING
+UPGRADED DIVISION 1 PRESS BOX
+UPGRADED PREMIER SEATING OPTIONS FOR DONORS ETC..
+SPECIFIED STUDENT SEATING AREA
+SCHOOLS MASCOT/NICKNAME PROUDLY DISPLAY WITHIN THE DOME
+++IDAHO STATE HAS A BIG SKY TITLE & A NATL TITLE. FIND A BETTER WAY TO PROUDLY DISPLAY THEM

These are easy fixes that can upgrade ISU's dome.

I love that you compare ISU with the U of I and NAU because ISU has more National Championships than those two schools COMBINED. The dome improvements will take care of themselves after a couple of seasons with Kramer. I'm not sure if you were aware of this but ISU actually hosted the 1-AA National Championship game for a couple of years in the 80s. Tell me your piece of crap stadium could do that. Go pick on a Northern Colorado. Their stadium is almost as bad as yours.

The Kibbie and Skydome look pretty nice in those photos. Falkin's right, replacing the seats would go a long way; however, I seem to remember something about the cost... or lack of a manufacturer... or larger arses reducing capacity... etc. Anyway, it didn't seem likely.

It's funny to hear an EWU fan talk about the seat situation... in 2005, while beating the Eagles, a EWU fan threw a fit and blasted one of the chairs and "flew" out of Holt; Heckler can back this up. Some real funny stuff.

IMO, the Mini Dome is the best and worst thing to ever happen to ISU athletics. :?

biobengal said:
IMO, the Mini Dome is the best and worst thing to ever happen to ISU athletics. :?

I remember back in the early 80's hearing a Bobcat fan lament MSU's inefficient facilities. We had a domed arena that wasn't quite big enough for a football field, a footall stadium that couldn't be used for much of anything else, and a separate running track behind the football stadium. Wouldn't it be great if we combined all those into one facility! Ha!

ISU built the Mini Dome in the era of multi-purposed facilities. A lot of NFL and MLB teams shared stadiums, and most college stadiums had a track around them. Then there was ISU and UI combining their basketball and football arenas. Of course now-a-days there is only one shared NFL/MLB venue (Oakland), and colleges are ripping out their tracks all over the country. Times have certainly changed.

I've been to games at ISU and EWU. The fatal flaw with Roos Field is the running track. It puts fans too far away. I've enjoyed going to games in Holt Arena-maybe because it is so unique. I don't know that I'd like to go there all the time, but once every few seasons is fun. I think the place could use some sprucing up, like concealing the insulation in the ceiling, updating the seats, better lighting, better press boxes and some suites (although that's not something I personally use or need). The new turf is a huge improvement of course.

Has there been any consideration to curtaining off the basketball setup like they do at UI. I always thought the "Cowan Spectrum" setup they have looked good (though I've not seen it in person-just on TV).

Anyway-I'm not telling ISU fans anything they don't already know. But this is an interesting thread.

Thanks BelgradeBobcat. As a Bengal fan, I am totally jealous of what you guys have done up there and it's not just limited to athletics. You guys have a system in place that should keep Cats competing at the highest level of the conference for years to come. I don't have a problem with Bobcat fans giving us advice about our facilities but Eastern is a joke. Spokane isn't even that big and yet the "Eags" are a distant third in capturing the sports fans of that part of the state. For all I know, they could be even lower than that when you consider the amount of alumni from University of Washington and University of Idaho that live there. I agree that there are things that need to be done to ISU's facilities but the dome has served us very well. It's getting the job done right now but ISU could run into some problems if and when the Bengals start competing for Big Sky titles again. Eastern Idaho is just itching for a team of their own and if ISU is ever able to put back to back winning seasons together, we might find out that Holt Arena is not big enough for all of the bandwagon fans.

Yeah, we're missing out on recruits because of banners and because the seats are multi-colored. :rofl: :dunce:

Northern Iowa has really sucked for quite some time because of their multi-color seats. :sarcasm:

6.jpg

sasquatch said:
Yeah, we're missing out on recruits because of banners and because the seats are multi-colored. :rofl: :dunce:

Northern Iowa has really sucked for quite some time because of their multi-color seats. :sarcasm:

6.jpg

UNI%20Dome%20Pic%20001.jpg

RECRUITS FIRST, THEN WINS, THEN FANS, THEN CONF TITLE, THEN NATIONAL TITLE.

They're called priorities, get em straight.

Red Hill said:

Great post Mr. Hill, although in your recommendation you forgot to mention that they also don't have running water, outdoor plumbing, or electricity in Cheney, WA, either - a problem that the EWU engineering department is frantically trying to remedy!

I appreciate the humor, but in all seriousness, I think most EWU fans, coaches, players, etc. are aware that the facilities need to be improved to maintain EWU's status as a perennial Big Sky challenger and playoff caliber team. At the moment there's apparently a proposal going forward to the Regents for a complete remodel of the entire east side of the stadium - something that is drastically needed and that we, as fans, are very excited to see come to fruition. The locker rooms were re-done in 2003, and are amongst the best in the Big Sky Conference, as are the weight/conditioning facilities - remember that the Seahawks conducted summer training at EWU for a number of years - something the school benefited from. We have a modern press box/donor suites facility that was also part of the 2003 remodel, along with the north end zone facility. When the East side of the stadium is complete, we'll have a great 15k-ish size FCS stadium that will do justice to the the quality of our football program.

As for your assertion that Eastern Washington's football program is the "laughing stock of college football", I suppose you and I will have to agree to disagree on that point. However, I do understand how you could feel that 5 playoffs appearances, four national Player of the Year Award Winners, multiple Big Sky offensive and defensive MVP Award winners, multiple All-Americans, and a National Championship - all accomplished within the past 7 years, would be something to laugh at. And to think all those accomplishment were done by kids who were passed up by Central Washington (don't kid yourself). :roll: And, gee-whiz, we also have an NFL pro-Bowler who actually acknowledges and donates to our program, and is proud to be an alum. The last time I saw Allen on Monday night football he claimed Los Gatos High School. Nice.

As for the red turf, it is what it is - you either love it, or hate it. We like it, as do a lot of other people around the country, although I am sure that there's equally as many people who don't. Can't please everyone, I suppose. Can't say I really like the appearance of Holt Arena too much, either, but "to each their own"?

And while you are correct that EWU is a distant third in the Spokane media market, the greater Spokane area is approaching 650k people - that's more than adequate to support multiple football programs, and there's plenty of room for growth. EWU averaged right at 9k per game this season, which is actually over 100% of capacity when you consider there's only 8700 permanent grandstand seats. Not spectacular, but not bad for a season that didn't include a Montana home game......I haven't seen ISU's attendance figures this year, perhaps they were over 9k, I don't know. But attendance has increased, and the Athletic Department is working very hard to keep it improving. I like the direction they're going. I wonder what ISU's position in the SE Idaho market might be......a distant third, behind Boise State, and BYU, perhaps? Just a thought, but I think fans of FCS schools can certainly agree that it's difficult to compete with the Pac-12's, BSU's, and BYU's of the world. Just don't try to act like ISU is in any other position than EWU, PSU, NAU, UNC, or any other Big Sky school that has to compete in-state with much larger and more high profile programs. Tsk, Tsk, good Sir.

Another point we will agree on is that Washington is, in fact, a highly under-rated HS football State. And that's probably a big ingredient in EWU's success over the years, we get some great kids that for whatever reason got over-looked by the Pac-12 schools. But we also do branch out to Oregon, California, and yes, Idaho. We've gotten some great players from those states, to include the 2010 Idaho Gatorade Player of the year. I wonder why he didn't even consider ISU? Very puzzling, indeed.

Anyway, all the smack aside - congrats on the hire of Coach Kramer! He's a terrific coach, and I'm sure he'll get ISU competitive given due time. :thumb:

In previous years EWU's only averaged about 4,000 fans or less, and the only reason why they've averaged about 9000 this season, if what you say is true, is because of the success they've had from last year's team which won the championship. If you can't have that kind of success again next season, then it's just a matter of time before you'll be back towards averaging less than 4 or 5000. Most of the fans in the Spokane area are die hard Wazzu fans, and most really don't care about EWU. Several years ago I saw the Bengals play up in Cheney and there was only about 3600 fans in attendance. Right now we've got the SE Idaho market to ourselves, and when we start winning soon, which should happen under Kramer, then you'll see very, very good crowds there and then we'll worry about adding on to the facilities we've already added to.

EWURanger29 said:
Red Hill said:

Great post Mr. Hill, although in your recommendation you forgot to mention that they also don't have running water, outdoor plumbing, or electricity in Cheney, WA, either - a problem that the EWU engineering department is frantically trying to remedy!

I appreciate the humor, but in all seriousness, I think most EWU fans, coaches, players, etc. are aware that the facilities need to be improved to maintain EWU's status as a perennial Big Sky challenger and playoff caliber team. At the moment there's apparently a proposal going forward to the Regents for a complete remodel of the entire east side of the stadium - something that is drastically needed and that we, as fans, are very excited to see come to fruition. The locker rooms were re-done in 2003, and are amongst the best in the Big Sky Conference, as are the weight/conditioning facilities - remember that the Seahawks conducted summer training at EWU for a number of years - something the school benefited from. We have a modern press box/donor suites facility that was also part of the 2003 remodel, along with the north end zone facility. When the East side of the stadium is complete, we'll have a great 15k-ish size FCS stadium that will do justice to the the quality of our football program.

As for your assertion that Eastern Washington's football program is the "laughing stock of college football", I suppose you and I will have to agree to disagree on that point. However, I do understand how you could feel that 5 playoffs appearances, four national Player of the Year Award Winners, multiple Big Sky offensive and defensive MVP Award winners, multiple All-Americans, and a National Championship - all accomplished within the past 7 years, would be something to laugh at. And to think all those accomplishment were done by kids who were passed up by Central Washington (don't kid yourself). :roll: And, gee-whiz, we also have an NFL pro-Bowler who actually acknowledges and donates to our program, and is proud to be an alum. The last time I saw Allen on Monday night football he claimed Los Gatos High School. Nice.

As for the red turf, it is what it is - you either love it, or hate it. We like it, as do a lot of other people around the country, although I am sure that there's equally as many people who don't. Can't please everyone, I suppose. Can't say I really like the appearance of Holt Arena too much, either, but "to each their own"?

And while you are correct that EWU is a distant third in the Spokane media market, the greater Spokane area is approaching 650k people - that's more than adequate to support multiple football programs, and there's plenty of room for growth. EWU averaged right at 9k per game this season, which is actually over 100% of capacity when you consider there's only 8700 permanent grandstand seats. Not spectacular, but not bad for a season that didn't include a Montana home game......I haven't seen ISU's attendance figures this year, perhaps they were over 9k, I don't know. But attendance has increased, and the Athletic Department is working very hard to keep it improving. I like the direction they're going. I wonder what ISU's position in the SE Idaho market might be......a distant third, behind Boise State, and BYU, perhaps? Just a thought, but I think fans of FCS schools can certainly agree that it's difficult to compete with the Pac-12's, BSU's, and BYU's of the world. Just don't try to act like ISU is in any other position than EWU, PSU, NAU, UNC, or any other Big Sky school that has to compete in-state with much larger and more high profile programs. Tsk, Tsk, good Sir.

Another point we will agree on is that Washington is, in fact, a highly under-rated HS football State. And that's probably a big ingredient in EWU's success over the years, we get some great kids that for whatever reason got over-looked by the Pac-12 schools. But we also do branch out to Oregon, California, and yes, Idaho. We've gotten some great players from those states, to include the 2010 Idaho Gatorade Player of the year. I wonder why he didn't even consider ISU? Very puzzling, indeed.

Anyway, all the smack aside - congrats on the hire of Coach Kramer! He's a terrific coach, and I'm sure he'll get ISU competitive given due time. :thumb:

:lol: :clap: Couldnt have said it better.

Latest posts

Back