• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

BLACKFOOTBENGAL UNOFFICIAL TWO DEEP

blackfootbengal

QB- Yost, Arias, Sessions
RB- Prior, McSurdy, Finney, Stout
WR- Rumble, Cameron, Bevin
Slot- Austin, Graves, Campbell
TE- Hill, Despot, Cook
LT- Beckwith, Prostesater
LG- Clampitt, Cutler
C- Namohala, Wingate
RG- Park, Van Vliet
RT- Jacobson, Deihem

DT- Bergren, Fuapau, Word, Sharkey, Ryan
DE- Rouser, A. Graves, Berrey, T. Graves
OLB- Beckstead, Allen, Pritchett, Pleasant
MLB- Pele, Ragen, Teo
SS- Coleman, Tanner
S- Gumpton, Carter
CB- Henley, Boyles, Bergner, Weber

Because I did not see the Spring Scrimmage I'm not sure about anything on Defense or the O-line. The above is just a guess for the most part.

Here's what I think we'll see..

QB – Yost, Arias, *Sessions
RB – Prier, McSurdy, Finney, *Stout
SL – Graves, D. Williams
SL - Campbell, Johnson, *Reaves
WR – Rumble, Place, *Taylor
WR – Austin, Richmond, *Benjamin
TE – Hill, Cook, Despot
LT – Jacobson, Prestesater, Diehm
LG – Clampitt, Van Vliet, *Gessell
C - Namohala, Warner, Wingrove
RG – Cutler, Park, *Abbott
RT – Beckman, Bagley, *Lewis

DE – A. Graves, Berrey, *Sharkey
DT – Makuala, Bergren, *Ryan
DT - Forester, Fuapau, Edwards
DE – Rouser, T. Graves, Baker
LB – Coleman, Ragan, McCaffery
LB – Pele, Allen, Monroe
LB – Beckstead, Spence, *Karstetter
CB – Henley, Davidson, *Malcom
CB – Boyles, Berger, *Perkins
SS – Pritchett, Davis, Carter
FS – Gupton, K. Williams, *Lemer

*Predicting redshirt.

bill_idaflls said:
What does all this mean, in terms of *strengths*?

I think it means the team is deeper, faster and stronger. It also means that they cleared the APR issue for the time being and that is a miracle in and of itself.

I doubt it turns into a ton of wins this season, but huge progress is being made as the program is being reinvented from the ground up.

I am way excited about what I have seen in one short year. Way excited about Kramer and his staff.

I do not have any predictions with starters or backups as the coaches will determine during fall camp. We have plenty of depth this season which will allow for some good competition during practices. I do predict that the Bengals will place higher than the pre-season predicted polls by the media and coaches.

WR- Rumble, Cameron, Bevin I don't see any of the freshman WR starting right away.
TE- Hill, Wright, Cook Did not know Despot had left.
LG- Clampitt, Cutler I'm sticking with my selections, Cutler is coming of a shoulder, would not be surprised to see him redshirt.
C- Namohala, Wingate
RG- Park, Van Vliet
RT- Jacobson, Deihem Bagley is still listed at 265, he needs to find the weight room and get serious. We have much better depth this year but very young.

DT- Bergren, Makuala Bergren is really a Big End, good against the run, but not a great pass rusher.
DT- Forester, Fuapau, neither Makuala or Fuapau played in the spring, they will have to play their way in. Word, Sharkey, Ryan
OLB- Beckstead, Allen, Pritchett, Knew Pritchett had been moved to OLB.
MLB- Pele, Ragen, Beck If we run a 3-4 Allen will move inside, may be there anyway. Watched film on Beck good depth at MLB
SS- Tanner, K. Williams Did not know Coleman was gone, I'll go with Tanner for at least the first part of the season
S- Gumpton, Carter
CB- Henley, Boyles, Bergner, Weber New kids will have to play their way in.

blackfootbengal - Unfortunately, Josh Cutler played in 7 games as a true freshmen last season (prior to his injury) which is 30% or more of the games so he will not get back his redshirt year back as a freshmen. If his shoulder injury prevents him from playing as a sophomore he could apply for a medical redshirt.

I don't see Taison Manu mentioned on any of these two deep lists. I went to most of the high school games last year and Taison was an absolute tackling machine and the best defensive player in the state in my opinion with Patrick Ryan running a very close second. Taison is still committed to play for the Bengals isn't he? Kramer said at the meeting when the 2012 Recruiting Class was announced that with the injury to Cody Sorensen that Taison Manu finds himself in a two-deep position already. I also think people are underestimating Hayden Stout from Meridian. I've watched him play for 3 years and he has a great combination of speed, power,size and most importantly runs with an attitude. I think we will see him move up the depth chart and possibly end up on defense as a linebacker or D-End. I applaud the ISU coaching staff for starting to keep the Idaho kids home. For years I've watched Montana, Montana State, Carrol and the other teams from Montana in the Frontier Conference play with mostly Montana kids and kick butt. A few years ago the Highland Rams played two of Montana's best high school teams Helena Capitol and Charles Russell High and beat both of them, 1 on the road and the other at home. Montana, Montana State and Carrol recruit Idaho quit regularly. In my opinion we could own Idaho recruiting once kids see the commitment to in state athletes. Boise skims a few off the top but mostly recruits California and nationally while University of Idaho dosn't seem to care too much about Idaho kids. A few years ago when Taysom Hill was the Highland quarterback they played California's big school champion Grant Union Pacers from the Sacramento area, in the Rocky Mountain Rumble and lost by about 35 to 27 in a very close game. I watched the results from the rest of Grant Union's season and they were beating other big schools from California by 50 points. Grant Union placed 15 players on Division I teams and all we placed to my knowledge was Taysom Hill to Stanford. I wonder how we played such a power house so close but had no college prospects? The big payoff for becoming the place for Idaho kids to play college football will be when you look in the stands. Just go to a Highland Poky game and see the potential for huge loud crowds. Underdog

Other than Cutler, I did not address any red shirts. If I did not list a kid in the two deeps it means I believe they will red shirt. Up, every player gets five to play four. If a player did not use his red shirt year as a freshman, he still has a red shirt year to use. You can use this anytime. For the most part freshmen are not ready to play their freshman year. The first year in the weight room while they finish growing makes a big difference to the kids. The average freshman will put on 15 to 20 pounds the first year. That is what led to my comment on Bagley, to compete you have to get bigger and stronger each year. Cutler came in at 285, he now weighs over 300. Shedd walked on as a 6'6" 235 lb tightend. They moved him to OT and he was terrrible. The next fall someone had taught him to move his feet and he won the starting job at LT, he was 255 lb. Each year he put on 10 to 15 lbs to end up at 280 his senior year. The same is true of every player, Prittchet was a tall skinny safety last year, now he is over 200. Store started as a 200 lb safety and ended as a 230 lb linebacker. Having to play your freshmen is a bad thing not a good thing, let's up we have improve enough to not play all our freshmen. Additionally, the advantage kids who had better training in the weight room or on the field starts to even out, everyone gets the same training in college. Also being a Texas Red shirt is no longer an advantage, as the kids get older they catch up physically. In Junior High and early in High school they stand out, later everyone catches up.

blackfootbengal:

Yes, you are right, any player may take a year off (redshirt) during his five years without losing a season of eligibility; however, I personally do not see any scholarship players on the ISU football team redshirting unless a player obtains a serious injury early into the season which prevents him from playing during the rest of the season. I believe ISU is wanting to get players graduated in 4 years rather than 5 years as it will cost ISU an additional year of scholarship money while the player is not playing. I do agree with you about the opportunity to redshirt an incoming freshmen but that is entirely up to the head coach as redshirting is not part of the scholarship contract. Cameron Richmond was injured during the first game of the 2011 season and was granted a redshirt as his injury prevented him from playing the rest of the season. I do not know of any other players from the 2011 season that redshirted.

I counted 7 incoming FR scholarships kids on last years roster that did RS...who were not injured. Duboski and Kragthorpe are no longer with the team.

I count 5 incoming FR that burnt RS.

These numbers may be slightly off, because I do not know if some kids were partials.

i've heard they are looking strongly at getting sessions "up to speed" and he'll be # 2 this year ..and arias will be red shirted...then after yost graduates this year...it will be arias and sessions backing him up...then arias graduates and we have sessions for 2 years....

bengalcub - Please correct me if there were additional freshmen players that were on full scholarships that redshirted during the 2011 season.

Duke Bukoski - left program
Brad Kragthorpe - left program
Derek Berrey
Christian Diehm

clawsout - I also heard that Justin Arias would redshirt for the 2012 season so he would have opportunity to start at quarterback during the 2013 season. Brad Kragthorpe was discussed as being the backup to Kevin Yost but Brad has left the program. Justin Arias may still redshirt this season but Sessions will have to show in fall practice and in game situations that he can step in for Kevin Yost and perform well when needed. If Arias or Sessions plays in one down their redshirt opportunities will have been burned.

I believe Taylor Ragan, Seth Johnson and Tyler Graves were the others. I cannot say if all were on full scholarship, but I think that they were.

bengal cub - Tyler Graves was on the original recruiting class for 2011 but I did not see Seth Johnson or Taylor Ragan on the listing so I'm thinking they were not offered full scholarships. With Kragthorpe and Bukoski leaving the program that would only leaves us with 3 full scholarship players that redshirted as freshmen. Maybe, all of the incoming freshmen will redshirt this upcoming season but based on the incoming full scholarship freshmen players from last season not redshirting I have to think that most of incoming full scholarship freshmen will have their redshirts burned this upcoming season.

I don't believe last years recruiting class can be called the norm for Kramer. We had 1 div I transfer and five JC transfers, all skill positions. One of the JC's ended up redshirting because of an injury. Of the High School kids, two were asked to grey shirt. Additionally, we started the football season with 16 scholorshiped kids not available to play, leaving Kramer little choice on playing freshman because of depth issues. I believe more freshman will redshirt as the classes become more balanced and the kids we have going to school who cannot play move on.

Taylor Ragan and Seth Johnson were both late signees...

Ragan:
http://www.isubengals.com/news/2011/4/28/FB_0428113237.aspx?path=football

Johnson:
http://www.hometeamsonline.com/team...TBALL&t=c&s=football&p=newsstory&newsID=30033

Upon further review--it is not 100% that Johnson was a scholarship athlete. When I first read this article, I assumed opening on roster meant scholarship.

I think Blackfoot nailed it. Last year was a tough year because of APR and lack of depth. ISU had so many kids on scholarship that they knew couldn't contribute because of injury before the season even began.

bengalcub and blackfootbengal: The recruiting class for 2011 is mostly freshmen, it will be interesting to see who redshirts and who does not redshirt.

Here is some information on scholarship players for D-1AA.

The NCAA funds Division I-AA to award 63 scholarships to football players. However, to keep Division I status, schools must have 76.5 football players on scholarship. Therefore, many Division I-AA college football players receive partial instead of full scholarships. Most I-AA schools divide their 63 scholarships amongst 85 football players to fill out an active roster

blackfootbengal said:
WR- Rumble, Cameron, Bevin I don't see any of the freshman WR starting right away.
TE- Hill, Wright, Cook Did not know Despot had left.
LG- Clampitt, Cutler I'm sticking with my selections, Cutler is coming of a shoulder, would not be surprised to see him redshirt.
C- Namohala, Wingate
RG- Park, Van Vliet
RT- Jacobson, Deihem Bagley is still listed at 265, he needs to find the weight room and get serious. We have much better depth this year but very young.

DT- Bergren, Makuala Bergren is really a Big End, good against the run, but not a great pass rusher.
DT- Forester, Fuapau, neither Makuala or Fuapau played in the spring, they will have to play their way in. Word, Sharkey, Ryan
OLB- Beckstead, Allen, Pritchett, Knew Pritchett had been moved to OLB.
MLB- Pele, Ragen, Beck If we run a 3-4 Allen will move inside, may be there anyway. Watched film on Beck good depth at MLB
SS- Tanner, K. Williams Did not know Coleman was gone, I'll go with Tanner for at least the first part of the season
S- Gumpton, Carter
CB- Henley, Boyles, Bergner, Weber New kids will have to play their way in.

Blackfootbengal -- good analysis....Regarding DT -- expect improvement from Bergren. Off-season strength workouts are expected to yield positive results -- darkhorse candidate for all-conference.

Do we expect to do better than the predicted pre-season media and coaches polls based on our unoffical two deeps? The Big Sky Conference has us picked 12th by the media and picked 11th by the coaches. I think this team wil do better than the predicted pre-season polls. What do you think ?

Latest posts

Back