• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Booster Letter, ISU investigation of NCAA rules violations.

bengalcub

Text of letter sent to me (weeks ago) by ISU employee that wishes to be unnamed.

April 27,2012

Dear Mr. ***************:

As you know, Idaho State University recently began an investigation into whether your contacts with certain ISU athletes and/or recruits constituted a violation of NCAA rules. During that investigation, we discovered that certain rules violations relating to contacts with athletes on or being recruited by the ISU Men’s Basketball team in fact occurred. We have notified the Big Sky Conference and are in the process of notifying the NCAA of the investigation and our findings. We anticipate further investigation and action by the NCAA. As a result, effective immediately, Idaho State University Athletics must disassociate itself from you until further notice. We ask that you not have any contact with the ISU athletic department, its coaching staff, athletes, and its recruits. This includes attendance by you at athletic contests, practices and fundraisers, including the annual ISU Bengal Auction scheduled for tomorrow evening, April 28, 2012, any further monetary donations, any participation in the Bengal Athletic Boosters organization or its board, and any further employment by your or your company of any ISU athletes.

We hope that you understand that this action is both required and appropriate under the circumstances.

Very truly yours,

Darlene E. Gerry
Associate General Counsel

Oh boy... if he not only contacted them illegally, but also employed them (whether legitimately or illegitimately), that is not good.

I think that a booster can employ an ISU athlete, but they can't pay them an exorbitant wage. They need to pay them the same wage that they pay everyone else for that type of work.

Personally, I am not AS concerned about the boosters actions. Why? Because he has been eliminated from interaction with ISU athletics.

What concerns me more is the level of interaction that was permitted to the booster within the athletic department. The fact that the booster was a close personal friend to the AD and a member of the basketball search committee is also very troubling. Also, for a booster to have interactions with potential recruits he/she must first know who ISU is recruiting. The booster gained that knowledge by being a part of the recruiting process.

My single greatest fear is that the booster gets excommunicated from ISU and the AD survives untouched and unaccountable.

As for employing athletes, I think Boise Bengal is correct on this one. You cannot pay someone a ridiculous amount of money or buy the star point guard...I don't know...a car or something like that. ;)

Cub, You have to be concerned with the boosters actions. You can't just brush it aside just because he has been eliminated. He is the beginning of this whole thing. He was wrong way before Martin blew the whistle out of revenge. One bad apple can spoil the whole barrel.

If he was a good friend with the AD as reported, then you have to surmise that they both could have been in on this. From that stand point, I think the AD goes as well.

I'm anxious for names to come out.

My apologies...I forgot to type AS in my message. Please don't think I am absolving the booster. What I am trying to state is that the booster has been eliminated and I am afraid that leadership will be absolved and protected.

Latest posts

Back