• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Broncos Blow Shot at Outright WAC Title

skippy57 said:
Aggies will probably wind up as co or tri-champs:

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/story/316892.html

From the article:
Utah State took advantage of BSU's shooting woes and put on an offensive clinic of its own in steamrolling the Broncos 88-69 in front of a season-high crowd of 10,352 at Taco Bell Arena.

10K for a hoops game...well done!
smileyclap.gif

JC

Granted, there are more options to do in Boise nowadays, but I believe BSU's highest average attendance for a season (basketball) still was during the Big Sky days...

SLCBengal said:
Granted, there are more options to do in Boise nowadays, but I believe BSU's highest average attendance for a season (basketball) still was during the Big Sky days...

More options.... yes. Although, considerabley more people. Given their population base >500,000 and growing they should have no trouble getting 40K for football and 10K for basketball, provided they are winning.

There was an interesting debate on the Idaho Statesman web site blog earlier this week about the value of BSU hoops. Bottom line to me is Boise State is an entertaining and talented team that will likely at least tie for the WAC title. And they have a wonderful facility, so I don't understand why they average only around 5,000 fans a game. I guess all the football success has made their fan base somewhat jaded. I know Pocatello would go ape-poo over a conference championship team, particularly if they had a facility as nice as TBA.

I can't explain any reason that the "fans" don't attend. Back in the Big Sky days, the Pavillion was rocking. 10,000 in attendance was the norm. Some "fans" say they were dissatisfied with the last several years of Bobby Dye's tenure and demanded a change. The school got rid of Dye and hired his assistant - Rod Jensen. Rod's teams always were GREAT defensive teams but they played slow down methodical basketball. The "fans" demanded an up tempo team. Eventually, the school gave Jensen his walking papers and hired Graham. They fly around and play up tempo. The guy wins 22 games this year and there are those same "fans" wanting his head. He was named the conference's Coach of the Year and there is still rumblings.

There has been more than enough growth in the Treasure Valley to fill the arena with 10,000 fans each and every game. The ratio of the overall population to fill TBA is nothing. Sure there are other options - hockey, the semi-pro basketball team (I've never seen one of their games and don't plan to), movie theatres. But people are staying away in droves. There are some theories but I can't explain it.

One possible explanation is poor student attendance. I've been to a several men's games and a few women's games and the students are nowhere to be seen.

Despite their success the women's team struggles to better ISU's attendance.

I've been following BSU athletics since 1975 and ever since then, BSU has considered itself a football school. Sure there were a few down years, but they've been few. But during the Bobby Dye stretch, BSU was also a basketball school. As I already stated, the Pavillion rocked for years under Dye. I can't remember the year that Utah came up and played BSU in the NIT in Boise. The game came down to a Ute shooting two free throws at the end of the game. If he sinks one, the game ties. If he sinks two, the Utes win. The Pavillion was so loud as he attempted his first shot the net was visibly moving from the sound. He missed the first shot. And if possible, the crowd noise became louder. He missed the second shot. I've been in the Pavillion when Edny from UCLA scored with less than 3 seconds left to defeat Missouri. I was there when Hampton beat Iowa State. When Georgetown beat LSU. I have never heard the crowd that loud before the Utah game and certainly not since.

Short of it all, BSU could be a basketball school. For some reason, the fans just aren't interested.

BSU stepped up and played well in the WAC tournament. They beat Hawaii and then took on the USU Aggies and having survived that game, they took on New Mexico State Aggies. It took a triple overtime effort, but BSU won the right to represent the WAC in the Dance. The last time that they went to the dance was in the Big Sky Days.

It's amazing what a week and decent tournament play can do for a team.

spazdog1 said:
Short of it all, BSU could be a basketball school. For some reason, the fans just aren't interested.

The same reason I'm not interested, the game tempo is controlled by the officals. In the BSC most of the time you go and watch officals blow their whistles. How many times do you here complaints about the officiating?

Latest posts

Back