• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

BSU Game

biobengal

I don't have anything specifically to say about the Bengal's performance, but......  I just hope this is the last installment of the BSU-ISU game. 

This was a better performance than most people want to admit.

The Bengal offensive and defensive fronts were not dominated at all. What killed ISU was the team speed of the Broncos.

ISU had at least three scoring threats--compared to none five years ago. If memory serves me correctly, ISU did not get into Bronco territory until late in the second half the last time they played. Also, BSU did not punt the last time they played--they punted four times last night.

ISU will be able to run the ball in the BSC. R. Hill looked intimidated early on, but he ended up playing well completing close to 70% of his passes. ISU tried to throw deep once to ET, but ISU clearly could not get players deep nor were they going to have the time needed to go vertical. The short passing game was the only thing that ISU had a chance to do. With that said--ISU will be able to pass well against BSC opponents as the season wears on.

On defense--how about Phillip Arias and Michael Wright? I am watching the replay now and they played well. I know ISU got killed with the speed of the Bronco passing game. However, BSU ran the hurry up and ISU was often trapped with the same personnel groupings stuck on the field. You could also, tell that as the game wore on, ISU was having problems getting the play calls implemented from the sideline.

Typically, when ISU plays up they get dominated on special teams. We did not see that last night at all. Also, other than Barden from Cal Poly--ISU won't see any WR's as talented as the ones Boise State has.

I liked the effort and I liked the fight. I expect this team to give the Vandals all that they can handle.

I agree with Cub on how we did in this game. We played better than we did the last time we played Boise and better than we did last year at Oregon State. Our offensive line did a good job against Boise, allowing us to run the ball effectively. We had to go to the short passing game because of pass rush and the inability of our receivers to get open, while we did not get many yards after the catch, at least we were completing passes and moving the ball. Recognize almost all of Boise's sacks came off blitzes; there D-line was not getting a great rush. They were putting pressure on, but the Blitzing that caused the sacks. We played a soft zone all night trying to keep the Boise receivers in front of us, for the most part it worked. They had one play over the top for a completion and touchdown. Our D-backs did a good job of making the tackle after the catch. The one exception I can think of was a tired back late in the game against a fresh wideout who weighed about 215. This is not the Boise team of the past. Boise is a legit Div. I program with 85 legit Div. I players. We play them for the paycheck, not because we plan on winning. Idaho on the other hand is a beatable team simply because they play with some legit Div. I talent the same as we do, but not a whole team of legit Div. I talent. Idaho will have the advantage because they do have 85 scholarships, all full ride compared to our 63. However, as far as talent goes we are as good at most positions, better at some. The Boise game was a chance to hit someone other than ourselves. Did we learn anything about our team, Yes we learned that they play tough and do not quit like some teams I have seen in the past. Let us get ready for Idaho, the Boise game is past history.

Let’ get down to some real talk here. I just finished watching the game. I hope after the coaches watch the game film and grade the players on their performance they will make the correct adjustments THAT HAS TO BE MADE. Coach Z said it in his interview. We have to fix it and we will. He knows the problem. Can he make the necessary adjustments without minimal disrupting, or hurting some feelings? Example: Coach of Boise State made the change at QB because he was better than what he had. Gutsy move but the team is better because of it. There are three players on our defensive that needs to be changed out as starters. (JMO). We have the best 9 players on the field and one that needs to go back to the 3.. I will not mention the 3. The coaches know. Will they make the changes? The coaches will probably go with the same at Idaho, Yes, we have a 50-50 chance. Make the change 70-30.
I made a prediction on the Boise state game, that it would be close. That’s before he made some changes 2 weeks before. We would have beaten Boise? NO. But the score would have been more respectful. Two players on Offensive gets changed out will help out in scoring. (Deep snapper) you only need look as far as your back up TE. Diamond in the rough. The reason I don’t mention players name as being a bad player. Let’s say it’s a code of conduct. But if you would ask the players who needs to be out there, they could tell you. If the best is not out there it will show. As it did.
The coaches we have are awesome, and I’m not bashing them. I have 100% trust in what they are doing. Sometimes coaches have to do things just because. When the time comes the right players will play. Fans don’t understand why coaches do things but it’s their job not ours. “Go Bengals”

Sign: Arm chair quarterback

I dont think this game was a disapointment at all. ISU kept it close until the start of the second quarter, and if it weren't for an 80 yard touchdown pass and a couple of bad plays on fourth down this one could have been a good game. Our running game looked awesome against the broncos defense, Cornist rushed for 98 yards (11 more then then Ian Johnson) and Knickrehm and Bird looked very solid combining for almost 70 yards. I think our backs have the potential to punish Big Sky teams. Even though Hill only threw for 75 yards he played better then people think, completing over 70 percent of your passes and having no interceptions against a very good bronco secondary is no easy task. The D looked good, especially in run defense. Im excited about next weekends game against the Vandals and i think the Bengals have a very good chance of coming out on top. Final score 31-21 BENGALS 

Judging by what I saw on the replay today--I would anticipate these changes.

Milbourn for Crittenden
Richards for Owens
Wright or Ortiz for Miller

I didn't see enough of the offense to forecast any major changes. It is hard to evaluate the RB's, WR's or the QB when they go up against a defense as fast as BSU's.

However, I wonder if Shedd might be a better option than Klovas.

But what do I know?

As far as M. Wright beating out Miller, I see that coming in the future. Remember Wright didn't come in until half way through camp. Who will be you guy coming off the bench if you put Shedd in rather than Klovas, Shedd practices both sides and can play both sides. Klovas is a right tackle. Same at D-tackle. If Milbourne starts your rotation is now Crittienden and Rutten, see a problem size wise. To use something Petersen from Boise said; your to wrapped up in depth charts. The D-line rotatates every series, it does not matter who starts. Everyone plays about the same amount of plays. As for D.M.'s protegy. A little fire in practice would help, show them you give a damn about being on the field and playing football. Right now they don't see that emotion on the field. Remember what made Jarad Allen special was his moter, never stopped until the play was over and played like a demon on every play. Watch Arias play, same fire, that is how you get on the field. Natual ability will only carry you so far, play angry, play hard, and give a damn on every play.

Another point of interest. We ran roughly the same offensive plays we ran in two of our scrimmages, short quick passing game. Little to nothing over the top and only about a third of our offense. Remember what happened when we opened up during practice. We were very vanilla against Boise Offensively, just trying to control the clock and keep their offense off the field. We were successful for the most part in doing this and as pointed out, if some things had gone right we would have made the game more respectable. Boise is a very good team with so many weapons on offense it is scary. While I didn't see a size advantage anywhere, the difference I did see was in speed. Their linebackers were all fast as were the safeties and corners. I do believe Boise is going to have trouble stopping teams that run right at them. Our lines both sides were never really pushed around, it just came down to adjusting to the speed of the other team and the fact that #2 and #3 was as fast as #1. By the way I would like to point out that Coach Petersen is a class act; they could have scored on that last drive and Hawken's would have. Petersen took the high rode and took the win without trying to stomp on the other teams neck.

We have a great rotation on defense. They could be placed at better positions with a greater result. Bengalcub saw the same thing. These are the correct moves for the coaches. This would give the linebackers a little confidence on the line to concentrate on their own job. I saw Scott in there on the nose for only three series. Four tackles, two for loss. But Dem needs to be at the three when he is in there. Can’t double team both. As quick as Scott is up the middle they would have to double team him, which would release Dem to wreak havoc on the line. I like my chances with Dem one on one with just about anybody in the league. Richards is just downright mean. That’s what you need. The intensity that he brings makes up the difference in his talent.

You are right, depth charts don't mean a whole lot. But nonetheless, it is fun to talk about.

As for the rotation on the defensive front--I'd like to see a pair of 290-300lb kids clogging the middle. I think Milbourn and Amos would be a fine pair. Crittenden looks like an end--but if the coaches think it is the best option, then it probably is. I guess I struggle with seeing DE's and TE's and tackle. I expected Jones and Tyler to be in the rotation at DT as well. That would be four guys over 280, but obviously there is more to it. It is hard for me to believe that two kids in the 240 lb range are that much better, but I guess it might be the case. As for Milbourn's motor, I trust you have heard something--but remember Milbourn is just a young kid and we still may be waiting for his balls to drop. When they do, I think he will be lights out. What I saw Saturday impressed me--he had 3-4 solos.

I don't know why Jones is not in the rotation, he was who I expected too. The only reason I see Crittenden starting is for the reason I stated, they need to keep a big guy in with every rotation. I don't disagree with Scott being in their with Amos, but who do you put in when you rotate lines. No matter what you have a small DT unless Jones is the man. Seems like he has been less than spectacular in practice and has been beaten out by a 230 lb kid. By the way Rutten earned that honor by being all over the field and in the backfield making plays in practice. Strandley may need to look at his rotation to find a way to keep the players fresh and effective at the same time. As I have said before to Cub when talking about a player, "I can't wait for his balls to drop, going to be one hell of a football player". At the time I made this statement I was talking about Jared Allen. I'm now saying that about Milbourne. Great first step and much faster than you expect. Remember this is the first game, things will change you can count on that.

I don't know what is up with JJ??? I know that kid can play. I say we are going to need a strong Dline rotation. In a game like what we just were in where the offense was going no huddle, I could tell that our dline was a bit tired early on, who wouldn't be in that situation. I expected to see much earlier substitions on that dline in the game. Something must be there????

And what about getting Blum some snaps in the game? I thought it would've been a good opportunity for him to have grabbed a few series, especially toward the end of the game. I think it would have been beneficial for the future. I thought he was about to go in after Hill got rocked on that one play.

One of the problems a no-huddle offense creates is it severly limits the defense's ability to substitute. It's tough to get players in and out on a situational basis. Idaho also runs a no-huddle, and I'm sure you'll see several Big Sky teams migrate to that approach this year -- it's all the rage in college football these days.

“As for D.M.'s protegy. A little fire in practice would help, show them you give a damn about being on the field and playing football. Right now they don't see that emotion on the field.”

I am confused as to why that is necessary. The following demonstrates great heart and enthusiasm, and fire?
1. Beating on ones chest after a tackle.
2. Pointing at a player as to mock him.
3. Point at the coach when making a tackle.
4. Jumping up and down like a 2 year old that had his toy taken away.
5. Running around wasting energy.

No, these are fan favorites. This drives the coach’s nuts. The player demonstrating these special techniques forgets that this happened because everybody did their job.
Also, somebody needs to tell the d-line, in the fourth quarter, when you make a tackle, and it looks good, just walk back to the huddle and get ready to go again. Don’t beat on your chest like you did something. You look foolish. The score is 42-7. Makes you look stupid.

Just because he, #94 (Scott), goes about his business and draws no attention to himself doesn’t mean the intensity is not there. If I were to use the above as criteria for talent, I wouldn’t win many games. But the fans would get a great show…

Skippy we are talking about two different kids. Scott is #2 on the depth chart not #3. Unless I'm mistaken D.M. is talking about a DE who is #3. Granted I could be mistaken on who he is talking about. The kid I spoke of is a DE not a DT.

Here are a couple of obsevations and comments...

Hill will be pretty darn good this year. His first pass was intercepted but a penalty gave the Bengals new life. He was poised and performed pretty well. Even after he took the hit, he was on the field on the next series. I was impressed.

Where's Cornist been? Wow, good game. The kicker... great game. O-Line did a pretty good job of opening holes and pass protection. The defense plugged the middle nicely. I believe that most of BSU's rushing yardage was from the outside.

The Statue... well, although the formation looked a bit different, BSU has seen it before. I heard the boos, but I thought it was cool that ISU tried it. I also think that perhaps this is a preview to things to come. Coach Z taking the play calling to a different level. Make the defenders defend against misdirection plays such as the Statue... And when it's done at Holt, it will bring the crowd to its feet!

From the Skybox... I saw and heard several Bengal fans. I will tell you, there was a bit of nervousness late in the first quarter from several of the Bronco faithful.

Anyway, I'm sure the team is happy to take on someone other than themselves. This Bengal team played better than the last team that came into Bronco Stadium and is better than last year's team. The teams around the BSC will look at the box score and think the Bengals are the same as previous years. Boy, will they be surprised.

Speaking of surprised... 70 - 0 Vandals lose! Against Arizona, for heaven's sake. I didn't expect the Vandals to win, but not slapped around like that. I predict that the Bengals even their record next week and the Vandals will continue their streak.

The game was a lot better then most thought. If we would have just kicked that field goal early in the first half and punched in that 4th and goal I would feel even better. Hill was off in the first half; he needs to learn to throw the ball away when he is out of the pocket. That play were he got drilled didn’t even need to happen if he throws the ball away. Speaking of that play. That CB for BSU needs to be suspended, that hit was helmet to helmet. Somebody on our team should have taken that fool out later in the game, regardless of the penalty. To see him jumping around on the field after the hit was ridiculous. I am done watching any BSU games on channel six. Those announcers sucked a?!. Would it have killed them to give us a little love on air?

The lack of love I'm sure stemmed from them calling on Thursday afternoon right before practice wanting to set up times to meet with the Coordinators and Zamberlin on Friday, when they had their whole weekend planned out...those things are usually set up WELL in advance ... they didn't seem too happy when I told them they couldn't meet with the coaches.

ISUSID

Let people here talk about what they want to talk about. There's nothing wrong with elaborating on the previous week's game and talking about what ISU could have done better, and what they need to work on in order to improve for the next game.

Latest posts

Back