• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

By the Numbers 2008 to 2009.

bengalcub

Some information that I found on the ISJ blog that I was to lazy to find myself:

There are 118 teams in the FCS division. Last year, 2008, ISU finished #118 for total defense (480.33 ypg). They finished #117 for scoring defense, allowing 41.17 ppg.

Thus far this year, 2009, ISU is ranked #117 in total defense, allowing 483.00 ypg. They are currently at #115 for scoring defense, allowing 45.80 ppg.

Worse, the offense is averaging 9 points a game, ranking #113.

There is no real evidence the defense is better by the numbers. The stats are worse, although the remaining 6 games could show some improvement.

However this may be some of the reason as illustrated by Brad:

http://isubengalblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/bengal-mash-unit-heads-west.html

There's no doubt that ISU's defense is giving up points and yards. I'm not disputing any of the things you say Cub...I just want to point out that if ISU had started the season with 1 or 2 "fluffies" instead of ASU and OU, they probably wouldn't have given up 114 points in the first two games. Still, we've given up 115 points in the last three, against supposedly lesser opponents.

One thing you cannot judge though by just looking at national rankings is you can't see the schedules of the other 100+ teams in front of ISU on the list...and see how many cupcakes they've played. Weber, obviously, would not fall into that category, with games at CSU and Wyoming. For a different example however, Montana played Western State at home and lit them up for 38 points and only gave up 116 yards total offense...last year Montana hosted Central Washington and won by just 3 on a last second field goal.

My only point is that rankings can tell a story...but rankings seldom compare apples to apples. The only REAL VALUABLE statistical rankings I find every year are those we use for Big Sky teams in conference games only. Those are the most accurate as it offers a closed sample...with everybody playing the same opponents. Even then you have to take into account things like home field advantage, weather, injuries, etc.

Are we "good"? No...but if you took away all the points our opponents have scored this year after ISU turnovers...even if you just cut the turnovers in half...our points-given-up average would likely be much lower.

I'm just sayin... ;)

Part of the problem is the amount of time the defense is on the field. Just observing the defense makes it clear that it is better. Turnovers in the red zone also make a difference. Make no mistake. This defense is better. It just hasn't had the opportunity to show it.

I took that information from a blog and it does not exactly reflect how I feel. I think the defense has improved quite a bit over last season. I do think that those numbers will go down some in the final six games.

What shocks me is the offensive production. It has been a long time since ISU was not in the top 30 in passing offense. I'd say scrap the run for the most part and make the run game a short controlled passing game.

Latest posts

Back