• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Choke

sasquatch

Bengals shitty free throw shooting finally costs them a game.

Bad subbing. Again. Played right into PSU's hands.

Second half defense was crap.

Blow a 16 point second half lead.

Student passes the teacher.

Disappointing outcome, sure, and a few frustrations are understandable. I still love the team, the heart, the effort, the fearless play. Most fun I've had watching Bengal basketball in years.

PSU was relentless on defense and consistent on offense. That being said, ISU has the ball handlers to negate the press and did well last night, but-- over the long haul that defense did wear us down. Most disappointing? Free throws. They made 'em and we didn't. Both teams were exhausted at the end, but, they still hit their free throws and we didn't. I, too, love the team and their effort, but what is it that will push us over the top, rather than being pushed over the top?

I think foul trouble was more of the problem than missed free throws. Yes you aren't going to win many close games shooting 50% from the free throw line but having Geno sit for 10 straight minutes in the second half with 4 fouls really hurts the defense. Rebounding... The under 6 foot backup point guard led the team in rebounds with 9... we have a 7 footer and he has 2 rebounds in 29 minutes of play c'mon man.. But on the positive I do feel like this team when playing as well as they did in the first half can play with anyone in the conference. Just have to play a full 40 minutes to get the W.

I've said all season that free throw shooting had already cost us one or two games early. Add last night to that list.

Yes, one could call it a "choke", but coming into last night's game Big Sky RPI rankings looked like this:

Big Sky Team Rankings
114 Portland State 9-6
125 Montana 11-5
145 Northern Colorado 9-7
174 Idaho 9-6
193 Eastern Washington 6-10
213 Montana State 9-8
237 North Dakota 4-11
239 Southern Utah 5-9
240 Weber State 7-7
258 Idaho State 6-8
284 Sacramento State 3-13
306 Northern Arizona 2-14

The Bengals were not expected to win the game but certainly put themselves into position to do so, and beat themselves more than they got beat.

It was interesting to see after the game last night that Senior Erik Nakken came back onto the court and began shooting free throws. He's probably less apt to be fouled than any other Bengal on the court but he was the one putting in extra time after the game. Years ago when I first started calling games I use to go to all road practice sessions and shoot 100 free throws while the team practiced at the other end. I consistently hit between 68 and 75 shots each practice. I couldn't do that now but if I were on a college team I'd do everything in my power to shoot 100 FTs a day, even if I had to go find a church or Jr. High gym to do it in.

As an aside, I'm still convinced that cell phones and social media are the bane of young players today, taking away focus that should be on them becoming better players.

votb said:
if I were on a college team I'd do everything in my power to shoot 100 FTs a day, even if I had to go find a church or Jr. High gym to do it in.

This!

votb said:
As an aside, I'm still convinced that cell phones and social media are the bane of young players today, taking away focus that should be on them becoming better players.

And double this!

You hire coaches that win 40 percent of the time you win around 40 percent of the time. You hire winners like Killingsworth you win. Kids can't improve a coach, he needs to improve them. Its all about coaches. GO BENGALS

Latest posts

Back