• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Coach Cross leaves program

Bengals4lyfe

http://bengalsrising.sportsblog.com/posts/10770099/offensive_coordinator_sheldon_cross_new_gig.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why would he take a High School job!? I don't get it. Anyone?
Cross is originally from Tacoma I believe, and that's close to this high school. That's the only thing I can think of. He wanted to get closer to home. I understand that.

I think this is probably a good move for Cross and there are multiple reasons for this:

1. It is closer to both his and his wife's family
2. No recruiting in high school so he can spend more time with his wife and young kids.
3. Go to Transparent Idaho and look at his salary from last year. $55,000 for an FCS coordinator job. He will make more at a private Catholic high school in the Seattle area.

Good luck, Coach Cross!

I was going to say the same thing BengalRube. You are correct. FCS jobs do not pay that much for assistants. Some assistants don't even get paid. I coach at a high school and our Head Coach for the football team was an assistant at Michigan in the late 90's, D-Line Coach at James Madison, Richmond, Arizona, Long Beach State (when they had a team), etc etc he then took a high school job as head coach and athletic director at a high school along the coast line in California because it paid better and his wife REALLY wanted to be in California and more settled. He now coaches in Pacific Northwest at our high school and I asked him would you want to get back into the college level for coaching again. He said No. He said I loved it but unless you are at THE REALLY HIGHEST levels you just don't get paid much money, he said it would be a pay cut for him to give up his high school teaching job plus he is Head Football Coach and Head Girls Track Coach and Head Boys Track Coach which is about an extra 25,000$ or so a year combined (on top of his teaching salary).

I agree 100% valid points

I am going to dig a little deeper.. Coach Cross is still a very young coach, who finally got his opportunity to become an OC. We are not talking about a position coach, we are talking about a "Coordinator position" at D1 level FCS or not. Regardless of the pay this was a great opportunity and great experience for Coach Cross. I am going out on a limb here, but I do believe the harsh criticism of the offense and QB play this season from Kramer played a huge part in his departure. Kramer called a lot of plays this season, and Cross didn't have the freedom or green light in the play selection as he wanted. The stress played a bigger part in his departure then we all believe. Coaching at Kennedy Catholic is a great Job to have.. don't get me wrong.. Great program! just my 2 pennies though....

I think that Cross made a little more than $55,000 per year. I don't have the exact figures because I'm not able to find the exact salary expenditures from the SBOE reports from last year. But I do know that Bailey made about $78,000 per year when he was the OC here, and I would think that Cross made about that amount. And if Cross makes a decent salary as a head coach of a Seattle high school, then you have to consider that the cost of living in the Seattle area is much, much more there than it is in Poky. The cost of living in the Seattle area approaches that of living in the Sun Valley area.

You may be right Rube, but I still have a feeling that Cross may have been pushed out by Kramer, especially when you look at how our offense really struggled last year. You don't see offensive coordinators at universities leave very often to take over a high school program. If someone does very well at that position then the head coach would be more than happy to have them stay there. Or if he did well then there's a possibility that they would get a job as an OC at a bigger school that pays more money or they would possibly get on as a head coach somewhere at another university. There's a possibility that Kramer may have wanted Cross demoted to a position coach here at ISU for a lot less money, but then again that kind of thing doesn't look very good on one's resume, and I really don't think that Kramer wanted him to stay on as OC.

Skippy said:
Well that's an interesting development. Whither Don Bailey?
I spoke to a few insiders at ISU, and word is that Don Bailey HAS called and shown interest/want to come back.
There are issues that make it difficult. An obvious one is that when Don Bailey left, the LARGE difference in salary between him and Cross was dispersed between the other coaches. Kramer decided to not pay himself more, and that the money was deserved by the others. Now if Kramer was to take Bailey back, he would have to take money back from others, or give his own money to Bailey, or only pay Bailey 55,000. NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

My whole point exactly!! You don't leave an Coordinator position on the table at a division 1-AA program to go to High School.. I believe he was getting demoted, forced out or didn't like the flexibility of running the offense under Kramer

Kramer would be big happy to have Bailey return to his program so they can start spring ball on Kramers NFL practice field. Who approved those 5000.00 or more per each goal posts on Kramers NFL practice field? We do not kick field goals. Those goal posts must be for recruiting purposes or where players meet to hear Kramer give his little pep talks. The players always go to the goal post at half time and take a knee to hear Kramer yell at them before going to the locker room.

Kramer does not want Bailey back. "A leaf that falls off the tree can't be put back on the tree". Now does he change his tune now that Cross is gone?.. I don't know.
:dead:
They built a practice field, a NICE looking practice field. You don't build a practice field and not put goal posts on it. Even if you don't kick. When you build a NICE home, you put TWO sinks in the master bath, and a fireplace in the living room as a focal point. (Even if you don't use them) I feel it's a nice looking field finished to the hilt to impress recruits. I like it.

up for the challenge said:
I love that Bengals Football Cover Page "Bengals Rising". Rising from the cellar or what? Who approved that one?
You only coast downhill... you're either falling or rising. I like bengals rising.
That's an individual on his or her own time writing g a blog for the love of isu athletics. Whomever it is, I appreciate the time they spend. Thanks.

Hey Up. Cory is at arkansas. I just dropped him off on Sunday. He'll be able to compete in spring before he has to set. The resources are amazing over and above football. Thanks for asking

Latest posts

Back