• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Coach Martin.

bengalcub

After some deep thought and talking to a few folks, I think that Coach Martin deserves the opportunity to be the Head Coach at Idaho State.

This team continues to improve and they are playing well even if other conference teams have more talent. This team is playing with confidence and Martin seems to be getting a great deal of effort out of this kids.

So, I say Coach Martin, take the reigns and get this thing done!

Thoughts anyone?

Without question, Martin deserves credit for how well the team is playing and is upping the value of his stock. That said, in my view it's premature to anoint him the successor. We don't know how the rest of the season will play out or who else has applied for the job. I'd rather wait and see. Tingey has made some great hires and I'm confident he'll make another good one.

Great point. I am confident that Jeff will make the right choice. I suppose the emotion of last night is still getting to me.

Tough situation; I'm reminded of the West Virginia situation where interim coach Bill Stewart leads WV to a Fiesta Bowl victory over Oklahoma after Rich Rod goes to Michigan. Bill Stewart was not right for the job and promptly fails.

I agree.. I've thought about this a lot, I am very appreciative to Martin & the staff, but like Fletch and bio said, we need to let the rest of the season play out, not get so emotionally high after a great last 2 weeks and realize that a decision will be made for the best interest of the university going forward for years to come, and not just for what feels right at this very moment. I think we definitely will find the right guy to lead us into a new era, and I'll be supportive of whoever gets the nod.--

I know one thing...The players are not playing scared anymore. There is some respect going on.They looked loose and they were enjoying the game. They are learning how to win. It was nice to see.

Coach Martin on the post game said the players were showing up 30min befor practice. There is something there with that comment. Take it how you want to!?

We wait and see how the year ends. We see how they do in post play if any and how far they go.

The difference in this team from when Martin took over and now is incredible. I think the two questions are:
1. Can he recruit ?
2. Would you want your son to be developed into a young man by him.?

From What I have seen, I think I would!

It is amazing the difference in confidence and attitude in the team from even a month ago... he has done some amazing work. If you would have said a month ago that ISU would be 5-4 in the Big Sky, you would have gotten a lot of funny looks. Just a testament to the job Martin has done.

Wait & see? Too soon to make a decision? Obviously, yes. However, it didn't take long for us to figure out that Deane Martin is a good coach. The next coach needs to recruit & coach. We already know 50% of what we need to know. He can coach at ISU and make a difference. That's 50% ahead of everyone else.

I am not taking a position on the head basketball coaching position. However, a good friend of mine who many of you know has high respect for Dean Martin. He has expressed to me that the man can coach and the only question is whether anyone can attract top athletes with the current restrictions in place on recruiting.

I'm not buying or selling...just pointing out that Deane was a lead recruiter for the program when he was at UNLV. I do love working with the guy...and I liked working with Joe, too.

Comcast Sportsnet has a nice little blurb about Coach Martin...

Fast Breaks----Idaho State should post the job opening, do all the background work, but no one around deserves become the permanent head coach of the Bengals next season than their present interim coach, Deane Martin. In his first year at Idaho State and his first head coaching position in college basketball, Martin has done the impossible and there is no other way to describe it.

Idaho State presently sits alone in fourth place in the Big Sky with a 5-4 record after a great home court victory last Saturday over Big Sky powerhouse Weber State. Since taking over December 19th after head coach Joe O'Brien abruptly resigned, Martin is probably doing the best job of coaching in the country. Before the season started you could not find one person who would have told you that the Bengals would win five league games and they were a unanimous choice to finish last in the Big Sky by every single poll and person who knows basketball. This is a really good story, will not get much national attention, but Deane Martin has to be considered for national coach of the year. His performance is beyond words, what he has accomplished.

WOW SLC,

Thanks for sharing. Those are some big time statements. The simple fact that we are getting press in SLC is good enough but thats a great piece for recruiting.

Also I have heard that many of the current boosters are in Favor of Martin. That would also be helpful in rentention of money and support towards the program.

Save the money for a national search. Give Martin a two year deal with a two year option. After the win against MSU I think the job is his. ISU needs to really get the advertising going and try to get some big crowds for the last home games.

Great win Bengals! Martin will be Head Coach at the D-1 level next year it is just a matter of if it is for ISU or not. I would bet NAU is taking a hard look at him with his ties to the big sky.

My fear is they lose a chance at a great young coach, and then players leave which could affect APR which it sounds like ISU can't afford any more hits in any sports. Usually when I read about a coach coming in you also read about players leaving the program either by choice or by design. If the team revolts under a new coach (Third in 5 Months) and says you know what I don't want to be here for this it could set the program back.

Latest posts

Back