• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Coach Phen Gets Contract Extension

Skippy

http://www.isubengals.com/news/2017/10/23/football-three-year-contract-extension-announced-for-coach-phenicie.aspx

This is awesome news and something I was hoping would come sooner than later. Great news for our players, staff, boosters, alumni and the community. Now that we have some stability going forward, Coach Phen can put his full focus on the important matters going forward as they continue building this team as BSC championship contenders.

.....Question for someone....Skippy ?....votb....?....they gave him an extension for 3 years.....but Coach Phen talked about how it is important to be able to tell a recruit you will be his coach for the time he is here....so his extension is for 3 years....a freshman recruit will be here 4....maybe 5 with a red shirt year.....so why is the contract not set up for "four years" with a renewal each year for an additional year....if he is hitting certain numbers or criteria....that way a freshman will know he would have the coach for his 4 years ?....help me on this .....

Don’t know Claws. My impression is there are still a lot of details yet to work out. I’m guessing here but I also believe the state board has limits on how long the first extension can be. But that’s just a guess.

clawsout said:
.....Question for someone....Skippy ?....votb....?....they gave him an extension for 3 years.....but Coach Phen talked about how it is important to be able to tell a recruit you will be his coach for the time he is here....so his extension is for 3 years....a freshman recruit will be here 4....maybe 5 with a red shirt year.....so why is the contract not set up for "four years" with a renewal each year for an additional year....if he is hitting certain numbers or criteria....that way a freshman will know he would have the coach for his 4 years ?....help me on this .....

Every coach has some kind of time limit on a contract. So should every contract be extended as soon as it hits that 4 (or 5) year window? Of course not. Do other coaches at other schools all have the same kind of contract you're talking about? Of course not. Coaches also get fired all the time in the middle of long-term deals. There are no perfect solutions for everybody, which is why the NCAA allows new recruits to retract their commitments if a coach that recruited them bails before they get there.

Sometimes an AD doesn't want to hire a coach for five years because you may regret it. Bruce Barnum of PSU is a real nice guy but just a couple years ago his Viks had the fluke year where they finished the season at 9-3 and he was named the FCS Coach of the Year. And he was rewarded with a five-year extension. Last year they were 3-8, and now their record is 0-7 and he still has three years left on his contract. And PSU couldn't even think about buying out the remainder of his contract.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it wasn't all that long ago where the state of Montana only allowed one year contracts for coaches at the various schools. I believe now they are only allowed to offer a 3-year contract. It never seemed like much of an issue with UM or MSU...

SLCBengal said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it wasn't all that long ago where the state of Montana only allowed one year contracts for coaches at the various schools. I believe now they are only allowed to offer a 3-year contract. It never seemed like much of an issue with UM or MSU...

That is correct - and it became a burden in recruiting and that's why the change was made.. Now an extension can be offered after the 2nd year of the contract is completed.

Latest posts

Back