• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Coaches Comparison...By the Numbers

PBP

With JJB’s very interesting and well thought out post in another thread and with all the comments and controversy surrounding the recent games between Idaho and Idaho State I thought it might be interesting to compare some numbers and stats. Feel free to make your own evaluations and post comments if you’d like:

Jon Newlee: 6 seasons at ISU. Coached from 2002-03 season through 2007-08.
Overall record: 93-82 .531 winning percentage (+11 games)
Conference record: 54-34 .614 winning percentage* (+20 games)
(Note: *Does not include postseason games against conference opponents)
Winning overall seasons: 4 (03-04; 05-06; 06-07; 07-08)
Losing overall seasons: 2 (02-03; 04-05)
Winning conference seasons: 4 (03-04; 05-06; 06-07; 07-08)**
Losing conference seasons: 1 (02-03)**
.500 conference seasons: 1 (04-05)**
(Note: **Does not include postseason games against conference opponents)
Regular Season Championships: 1 (05-06)
Postseason Championships: 1 (06-07)
20+ winning seasons: 2 (20 - next highest was 17 wins twice)
Postseason appearances: 4 (1-NCAA), (3-WNIT)
Postseason record (all games including BSC Tournament): 4-8
1st / 2nd Team All-Conference Selections: Molly Hays (2), Annie Anderson, Natalie Doma (3), Andrea Lightfoot (3), Jeni Boesel.

----------------------------------------------------------

Seton Sobolewski: 8 seasons at ISU. Coached from 2008-09 season through (so far) 2015-16.
Overall record: 131-117 .528 winning percentage (+14 games)
Conference record: 70-60 .538 winning percentage* (+10 wins)
(Note: *Does not include postseason games against conference opponents)
Winning overall seasons: 4 (10-11; 11-12; 12-13; 15-16)
Losing overall seasons: 3 (08-09; 13-14; 14-15)
.500 overall seasons: 1 (09-10)
Winning conference seasons: 5 (09-10; 10-11; 11-12; 12-13; 13-14)**
Losing conference seasons: 3 (08-09; 14-15; 15-16)**
(Note: **Does not include postseason games against conference opponents)
Regular Season Championships: 1 (11-12)
Postseason Championships: 1 (11-12)
20+ winning seasons: 1 (24 - next highest was 18 wins three times)
Postseason appearances: 2 (1-NCAA), (1-WNIT)
Postseason record (all games including BSC Tournament): 7-9
1st / 2nd Team All-Conference Selections: Jenna Brown, Michelle Grohs, Oana Iacovita, Chelsea Pickering (2), Kaela Oakes (2), Ash Vella, Lindsey Reed.

PBP

Interesting numbers...I always give you credit for doing your homework. A couple of additional notes to consider:
Newlee took over a program that had pretty much disintegrated.

Jenna Brown, Michelle Grohs, Oana Iocavita and Chelsea Pickering were all recruited by Newlee. Seton had the luxury of taking over a healthy program...and he hasn't missed a beat. Tip-of-the-hat to them both.

Jerry:

I must disagree with you. Seton did not take over a healthy program. Remember when Newlee left; after transfers, injuries and frankly some Newlee recruits who weren't the sharpest in the classroom or at upholding the law (three as I remember, including one who was dismissed the first week he came for shoplifting and for associating with individuals involved with drugs) Seton had a total of eight, repeat eight players. He had to hold open tryouts the first season for bodies simply to practice. That's how he found Kari Green.

Additionally I know that Oana and Chelsea were recruited by Jon, that's correct. They also barely played under him (Oana told me if Jon stayed she was transferring) and found their best success under Seton by far. One can also make the case that Michelle is in the same boat since she reached first team all conference status under Seton not Jon. I don't know how much Jenna played for Jon before she blew out her knee so I can't talk about her performances before her senior year, under Seton, when she made second team all conference.

Also keep in mind Jon must have had an inkling that he was leaving. Seton took over a schedule that Jon put together that had 20 of the 31 games played that year on the road or at neutral sites (including the two in the BSC post season tournament). The first seven that year were away from Poky including the tournament at Loyola Marymount which came as a shock to Seton since Jon told him nothing about it and he didn't even know ISU was committed to it until he got a fax from that school letting him know.

This was mind you, AFTER both Doma and Lightfoot had graduated. That's some schedule! Again I strongly suspect Jon knew he was getting out and didn't care what the schedule was going to be like for whomever took over.

One other additional point if I may about the shape of the program. Before the second season Seton's cupboard was so bare he had to bring in seven freshman to try to start restocking the team. Also that year, to be able to retain his complete staff due to mandated budget cuts (relating to the Bubb financial hole situation) he had to play a boatload of money games against teams from St. Mary's, California, Nebraska, Boise State, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona State and Minnesota. With seven freshman on the roster. Yet somehow they went 15-15 that year. Really the program when Jon left was in bad shape overall especially when you lose two of the greatest players (Doma and Lightfoot) in the history of the Big Sky Conference.

Just my opinion.

PBP

Didn't 2 or 3 players leave and follow Newlee up north? Never understood why ISU released them and allowed them to go, but it is what it is. Or was.

That's true... as I remember two players transferred. ISU was within their rights I guess to try to hold them but that never does anybody any good. The players obviously will be disgruntled and probably not want to play hard for a coach they barely know.

Can't fault ISU for letting them go, that's usually the best and wisest course of action.

PBP

I would have released them, but as I understand it, you can make a condition of their release that they can't go to certain schools. I certainly wouldn't allowed them to follow a coach to a new school. It doesn't set a good precedent, imo.

Latest posts

Back