• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Coach's being fired

I can't help but believe that Kramer will move Roger Cooper (current rb's coach) to at least linebacker's coach. :clap: From bio:

As a player at Montana State, Cooper was a three-time unanimous All-Big Sky linebacker from 2002-04. He was named the Big Sky 2004 Defensive MVP and was nominated for the 2004 Buck Buchanan award. Cooper spent time playing for the Dallas Cowboys, San Francisco 49ers, San Diego Chargers and the Frankfurt Galaxy.

Not sure about the other positions...

bhumble said:
Didn't Kramer select each and every one of these guys. looks like a CYA to me.

My thoughts exactly. Plus isn't Kramer the defensive coordinator??? I'm sure they were doing what the defensive coordinator instructed them to do. If not, they would have been shoved in the chest and dismissed a while ago. LOL...I had to go there! Hopefully the defense gets MUCH better. I'm also wondering what the OC has planned now that the O-line coach is gone, and so are Yost and Rumble? Will ISU still pass at the same rate? This should be interesting.

...i also wish them good luck in the future....BUT i always thought one of larry lewis's downfalls was he always retained the same coaches and simply shuffled them around when something wasn't working...and on the coaches's show once when it was suggested a "changing of the guard" was in order larry lewis said "i'm am responsible for all of these coaches and their families"....I thought B.S.....these are men who are responsible for their own careers and their own families....they HAVE to pull their weight or changes have to be made....

i would have been very disappointed if changes had not been made....kramer is looking for the "right people" for coaches ....as well as players.....i'd bet we get a D C too.....hang on folks....good things are coming..... :twocents:

Unfortunately, coaching positions are contract jobs which means the head coach does not have to renew the assistant coaches contract. Because of two losing seasons in a row Coach Kramer was probably forced to make some coaching changes. It does not mean that these coaches did a bad job as the players decide the game.

So what is the difference between now and when he hired them? They were world beaters two years ago.

The defense was somewhere between poor and none. Four teams put up 70 or more points on the Bengals. I don't know how Nebraska held it down as well as they did. Offensive line? My only thought is without a running game, the passing game will be overtaxed. Originally, I thought Kramer would go with freshmen, like he did at MSU the first year, after everyone else quit. 0-11 the first year, but watch out in years three and beyond. If he can't make it work, it can't be done. Pull the plug, turn Holt into the worlds biggest tater barn. In the meantime, support the big human. Getting anyone decent to come to this place is the trick, with the APR hurdle. Right now, ISU is 111/122 FCS teams as rated by Sagarin.

Cub told us it was going to take five years minimum to fix our problems, maybe some of us need to take off the rose colored glasses and accept reality. I believe we have about 10-11 former walk-on's on scholly right now, 8 on defense. We had 14 Sr's playing this year and 14 Jr's, 11 of them were walk-on's, most of them the Jr. class. What this says is our Sr. Class next year will be made up of former walk-on's. While I believe you can find a diamond in the rough sometimes, I don't believe you find them all the time. We gave out money to a number of walk-ons to help fix out APR mess, it worked now we have to pay the price for doing it the way we did. At the end of the year we had 14 kids who were getting money who were not playing, some for injuries, some for academics, and some redshirted. On defense we were starting four former walk-on's in our front seven. I repeat myself, one diamond in the rough is believable, 11 is unbelievable. It will take time to build the team back up with quality players. JC kids are not an answer because the best talent who are also academically sound go to the bigger schools, thus the reason Zamberlin had so much trouble with them. Doing it with High School kids takes time but it makes for a better overall program in the end.

Anyone who is expecting any significant improvement next season is border line delusional. The bottom line is this team was somewhere beyond bad and horrible on both sides of the ball. We had a zamberlin era offense for most of the second half of the season and a defense that could not have been worse if they showed up in street clothes and sat on the sidelines. Someone will say hey wait a minute we moved the ball -- unless you are playing fantasy football the only thing that counts is putting points on the board. Even Kramer with his eternally rosy viewpoint calls it a "subsistence" offense.

Next season will be no different.

Here is what our record is likely to be next year. As you know 12 games next year no bye weeks.

0 - 12 10% chance we loose a nail biter to div 2 school
1-11 70% chance only victory against div 2 school
2 -10 15% chance 1 conference victory
3-9 5% chance 2 conference victories

Before you say we couldn't loose to a div 2 school - we already did it under zamberlin and we will have a green QB.

Really the odds of two conference victories is more like the odds of winning the lottery but I want to be optimistic.

Will I be there to support the bengals absolutely but I will go to support our student Athletes without any expectation that we will even be competitive. Beyond next season who knows....

I will say that two more single victory seasons and the continuation of the Kramer era will be in serious doubt. No victories next season might force the ADs hand.

I hope I am wrong but I have the same feeling I had when I unhappily predicted we would have no conference victories this year (after the first conference game of the season)

Jeff Tingey is fully aware of all the APR problems that we have right now, and I'm sure he'll be very patient with Kramer. The big human's already been here two years and should get another three years to show some improvement. The APR mess is all Zamberlin's fault and unfortunately Kramer and staff are the ones that have to remedy the problem. And it is a very serious situation when you consider that we were close to having to drop our program because of it.

I don't think Kramer has an unlimited time to produce results. If fans loose interest due to horrific miserable performance and attendance drops too far then ISU could end up making up the lost revenue by playing three money games a year.Three epic beat downs more injuries and the cycle will continue....

I could see attendance dropping below 1000 by the end of next season if the team goes 0 and 12

Kramer will build the ISU program but we have to give him time. He is on a 5 year contract. I believe he will hire experienced assistant coaches but we will have to wait and see.

Experienced, seasoned coaches: therein may lie the problem for ISU. We have the need, but I'm not sure that we have deep enough pockets to pay for them. Can we afford to hire more than entry-level assistant coaches?

Somewhere in the past I saw someone write about Kramer not filling a coaching position so the program could hire someone to babysit players academically or otherwise, for the APR. This is a ridiculous waste of money when you could have a position assistant. This is something that should come out of non-football funds. Give Kramer a five year contract with one hand, and nickel and dime him to death with the other. Administration needs to get behind the program or do publicly what it seems to be doing behind the scenes: undermining, starving, and eventually killing the program.

It is my understanding that Quinton Freeman was hired to specifically solve the APR issues (which he has done admirably) and that the decision to make that position come from the coaching staff was Mike's call not the administration's.

Mike has a four year deal by the way, unless they added a year to it recently.

Again when your program is almost shut down by the NCAA because of a blatant disregard of the academic side of things by the previous coaching staff, extreme measures have to be taken.

This is one example of doing what you have to do to correct a major, major problem.

If I remember correctly Mike said on the coaches show that Q's position is going to remain with the football staff. I assume that's on a permanent basis as long as Mike is the head coach (and I suspect it will remain even after he leaves)

PBP

Thanks for the clarification. I still think this is a athletic department problem, not just a football problem. If the administration is serious about correcting past abuse, this position should be expanded to include all athletics and funded through the athletic department budget, not just football.

Otis:

You may have a point although football is the only sport that has been in this position.

PBP

I did not vote for this presidents re-election. After 4 years in office I'd seen enough to judge his body of work and I didn't want 4 more.

Coach Kramer must be given the time, resources and support to do his job which is to turn a program that was on life support into a respectable contender within Big Sky. He's the chief and I support him. Don't agree with every move or decision but I do support him and trust his football acumen.

After 4 years as Head Coach if the results are examined and found wanting then ISU should move in a different direction. As of now He's 1/2 way through his contract and will need to own the results of the next 2 seasons.

Life support guys... That's where he started from and it takes time to rehabilitate the program.

Happy Holiday's Bengal Fans!

Go Bengals!

Latest posts

Back