• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Coeur d'Alene Arena

Spudhead

So I was lurking on some other boards and saw that NIC is looking to build a 5,000 seat arena in Coeur d'Alene. They figure it will be around $15 million, and they are in partnership with the local development agency. Has ISU thought about something like this? Could ISU be part owner of a facility with the city or county?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZqG_Rkcdds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZqG_Rkcdds[/youtube]

ISU has thought long and hard about this approach. In fact, if you recall, the city tried to pass a bond a couple of years ago to help pay for a renovation of Holt Arena, since many of the events Holt hosts are community events not related to the university. I think it got about 27 percent of the vote.

To me, the best thing would have been to take the money from the Chief Theatre insurance settlement, combine that with the money that was donated for the Performing Arts Center, with the university providing the land and infrastructure, and build a combined community/ISU basketball arena/performing arts center. Unfortunately, we all know the Chief settlement money was squandered by a bogus fundraising outfit and the money that was originally intended for athletics was diverted entirely for the performing arts center, so we now have an arts center that is sized too small for major acts, and a quickly degrading Holt Arena/Reed Gym combination for b-ball.

That is a long-winded answer, but I think it captures my ongoing frustrations with the previous administration's neglect toward athletic facilities, and the larger community's lack of support and interest in working together with the university on an updated arts/athletics center.

Good to see Mark Browning alive and well up north. Didn't know he was up there.

In any event, this might be another option for a Big Sky tournament location if it's ever decided to move to a pre-determined site. It's close to Spokane, and UI, EWU, and UM are all just a short drive away.

Bump!

About a year ago, the folks in Coeur d'Alene thought they could build a 5,000 seat arena for $15 million. I can't tell whether they have started or not, but I saw a further breakdown that said they though it would cost $2.5 million for land and $12.5 million for the actual construction.

Scheels Arena in Fargo was built in 2008 for about $24 million. It is mostly used for hockey and has suites and all that.

I'm thinking the $20 million might be doable, especially if it's built so that some extras and fine-tuning could be added later with additional donations.

Latest posts

Back