• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

COMMENTARY--JAY HEATER--IDAHO STATE JOURNAL

bengalcub

CO M M E N TA RY--JAY HEATER--IDAHO STATE JOURNAL

Kramer’s smart recruiting path: Full speed ahead

Idaho State football coach Mike Kramer was talking about one of the four wide receivers he signed on Wednesday, Jarrod Daniels.

Daniels, out of Modesto Junior College and Sierra (Calif.) High School, had ogles of yards as a running back in both high school and junior college. “He runs in the 4.4 range,” said Kramer, who noted that he could shift Daniels back to running back if needed.

ISU football fans hear “4.4 range” and they are hoping for Tavoy Moore speed. In reality, history has told us to prepare for 4.56.

We all are hoping for 4.38, because that means that a bunch of Pac-10 teams missed that boat.

In the past, a player of 4.4 stature headed for FCS had some accompanying liability, such as being 5-foot-6 or 145 pounds. More often, a player with blazing speed headed for the Big Sky might have a checkered academic background.

This season, Kramer’s first, is different because Athletic Director Jeff Tingey has laid down the law. Tingey said no potential football signee could visit campus if he hadn’t qualified in terms of NCAA approved test scores. Because of NCAA restrictions, ISU could add no more than two junior college transfers midyear.

Following those guidelines, Kramer said this class was “as solid as any class academically that I’ve ever signed.”

As Kramer put it, all his recruits “fit through a tremendous keyhole of academic proficiency.”

Yes, but can they block?

That might seem like somewhat of a mean question considering that Kramer has been assigned the task of cleaning up Idaho State’s tarnished academic image with the NCAA. Should we care whether they win or lose?

ISU’s last football coach, John Zamberlin, sacrificed wins by cutting dead wood and attempting to make academic strides. For his efforts, he was tarred and feathered.

Now Kramer has been given his guidelines for recruiting and he has done what ISU has demanded, gone out and recruited the closest thing to Rhodes Scholars that the West has to offer.

History tells us that Kramer is a tremendous recruiter and he has a knack for finding players like Daniels, who very well might be a speed burner who was playing out of position. However, Kramer has to be facing an entirely new set of academic standards that could be hindering his recruiting process.

Kramer was asked to compare the two junior college quarterbacks he just signed. “I love that their combined GPA is an 8,” he said.

Would ISU boosters rather hear that both can throw 40-yard ropes? You be the judge.

Kramer said his program is trying to send a message to ISU’s alumni, fans and boosters that only serious students and solid citizens will be recruited. “We need great character,” he said.

It appears that Kramer has recruited top-shelf character and that should make everyone around campus proud. Whether it translates to more touchdowns remains to be seen.

Kramer signed eight quarterbacks and wide receivers among the 18 players he signed on Wednesday. He signed three offensive linemen, but one isn’t enrolling until 2014 when he returns from a mission and another, Kyle Jones, might play defensive line instead.

If I was going to evaluate this particular recruiting class from strictly a football point of view, I would say that Kramer filled huge needs at the skill positions and missed the boat in terms of offensive linemen.

ISU allowed 42 sacks last season and two of its best offensive linemen, Mark Clampitt and Elijah Ruhl, had knee surgery. The Bengals’ most versatile offensive lineman, Mitch Rudder, graduated. Maybe one of those quarterbacks can gain 60 pounds.

Kramer has been handed an intimidating task. Build a program from the bottom up with athletic ability taking a backseat to academic proficiency.

He has taken his first step. We know those SAT scores are for real.

Now about that 4.4 speed ...

ISU’s last football coach, John Zamberlin, sacrificed wins by cutting dead wood and attempting to make academic strides. For his efforts, he was tarred and feathered.

Zamberlin cut dead wood to make academic strides? You must be shi**ing me, right. Tarred and feathered for his efforts? NCAA penalties and three wins in three years--tarred and feathered for his efforts!

For crying out loud, the entire offense has one returning starter with a GPA over 3.0. Your only returning QB is hovering around a 2.0 and the majority of the skill position players are in the same boat. Forget the fact that Tavoy Moore, arguably the teams most dangerous player will be sitting out the spring to focus on academics.

So, what would you do Jay Heater? Not fix the APR problem, continue to let ISU lose scholarships and practice time. Better yet, do you continue the John Zamberlin era and watch ISU get banned from post season play and lose the ability to compete at the Division 1 level?

What you fail to see is the fact that this program has to do it the way they are doing it. The wins and losses may not come quick, but you will damn well see more than three wins in three seasons.

You need to quit sticking up for your pal and move on. Idaho State is where it is primarily because of the lack of leadership from John Zamberlin. Get off Kramer's ass for trying to pick up the shattered pieces and attempting to put the program back together.

Ditto what Cub said. I read it this morning and was trying to decifer what he was saying. This program was left in shambles, period!

Sorry Mr. Heater but the old thought process, the old ways are gone and in the past. We have a new leader and his name is Coach Kramer. Some people like to call him the "Big Human" and others like myself like to call him the "CEO". He is running this program now and we are way better off with him.

I'm with you on this Cub. Heater I don't know where you abtained your information on Lewis and his staff, but you may want take a long look ar your source. You will most likely find out he/she as an axe to grind or just making excuses to cover thier own failures.

Daniels is the real deal with 4.43 speed.. Believe it.. what's more amazing is how this athlete has progressed throughout the years.

It's one thing to blaze by DB's in HS but when your flying by them in college you gotta have speed.

Junior HS, 5'11 176lbs ran a 4.60 forty at Tokay High School
Senior HS, 5'11 182lbs ran a 4.43 forty at Cali LA Nike Combine
JOCO MJC,5'11 193lbs ran a 4.43 forty Laney College Combine spring 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKav6nyU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... er&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwUR0mzB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... er&list=UL

Speed kills and whether it's Daniels at WR and Moore at RB, this wide open offense will be fun to watch.

bengalcub said:

Funny stuff. Heater has a place in comedy. :lol:

Speed? I swear I'm going to beat the next person with a cattle prod if we get into another debate about 40-yard dashes. Speed does not translate into 40+ blowout wins!!!

Sorry, it's just...jesus the way people talk about modern football these days you'd figure all you have to do to succeed at this level is run really fast. BULLSHIT I say. Speed is only PART of the equation. You can have all the speed you want but what good will it do if it can't be coordinated or focused in a single effort? See: Oregon in 6 of their last 8 bowl games.

I love what Kramer is doing with the squad so far; I love the energy surrounding the program (about goddamn time :twisted: ) but there is one thing that is bugging me. With all this talk about high-speed football, why are we not putting kickers and punters on scholarships? You NEED the punter and kicker. For all the nonsense about "we can employ a rugby-style" punting game, let me, as a current rugby player inform you, that we don't want just any big fellow to boot the ball down the pitch. Yes, even our crazy game dictates that we have players specialized in blasting the ball downfield efficiently. So if rugby doesn't like employing a "rugby-style" kick, what makes you think it will work with rugby's American cousin?

Apologies if I'm old-fashioned with my football :)

Jay Heater is misinformed, uninformed or poorly informed about the things he states in his horrible column. Would anybody like to tell Jay Heater how good ISU was when the fastest players known to the big sky played at ISU under Brian McNeeley. Barely over 500 a couple of years. Kramer has had 8 winning seasons out of 13. He will be just fine here. Look for a winning record in year two.

Latest posts

Back