• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Confidence/No confidence vote on Vailas.

bengalcub

I saw this today--what does this mean? Not living in Pocatello--I haven't heard much on this. Can someone connect the dots?

POCATELLO — Idaho State University’s Faculty Senate voted 13-11 Monday to hold a confidence/no confidence vote in ISU President Art Vailas.

The university-wide vote by ISU’s 650-plus faculty will likely be held Dec. 6, though it could take place before then.

For more of the story, see Tuesday’s Idaho State Journal.

Cub, from what my Professor said about the vote is, that this is very serious and that if Majority vote no confidence it can be a major step to letting Vailis go. There has been a lot of people campus wide not happy with him and his administration. The way they have handled many issues, in the press and on campus has raised a lot of eyebrows and many are tired of all of the negative publicity brought to campus by his administration. It will be very interesting to see, and like I have said many times, change would be good at the top. We need a President that loves athletics, which he does not. At minimum this should be a wake up call for him and his people and how they treat others at the University.

Thanks for the info.

Has anything like this ever happened at ISU before, is this a pretty regular thing? Also, is it the faculty that will vote? Is there any dangers of repercussions for a negative vote? I truly don't understand this whole thing and I just want to understand it more. So, if the vote is NO CONFIDENCE--does that mean he is gone?

It seems like a pretty important thing regardless of how it turns out. What problems are being alleged--what are some of the examples?

From the ISU Voice (is this the student newspaper?)

Idaho State University’s Faculty Senate voted 13-11 Monday to hold a confidence/no confidence vote on ISU President Arthur Vailas. The universitywide vote by ISU’s 650-plus faculty will likely be held Dec. 6, though it could be held before then. Heavy deliberations among the Faculty Senate about the issue revealed a split between different colleges on whether a vote should be taken.

More: http://www.isuvoice.com/2010/11/09/vailas-facing-vote-by-faculty

The ISU Faculty Senate is a joke. Yes, they've done this before, probably the only group in the entire Idaho university system which has done so. They did it against Bowen, they did it against Provost Olson, and now they are threatening to do it against Olson (again) and Vailas.

It's symbolic, nothing more and nothing less. The SBOE is made to take notice of it, and if it's like the case of Olson, they roll their eyes and go about their business.

The administration could do a better job of communicating, no doubt, and the faculty senate could do a better job of working with the adminstration instead of against. It's a classic employer vs employee situation. Some of this stems from Vailas pushing ISU to become more of a national research institution, which means faculty members are forced to go against their comfort zone and pursue research projects & dollars. Some negatives of this could mean more graduate assistants teaching entry level courses. For those professors who are alredy securing research dollars for the university, it's business as usual.

Vailas' administration wants to reorganize the faculty senate, and the senate (which is composed of pretty much the same faculty members, year in and year out) is afraid their power will be usurped. Other faculties across Idaho universities have looked at this and said that yes, the faculty sentate has a legitimate concern, but on the other hand, the senate currently has so many committees and red tape, that nothing gets accomplished.

The problem with their continual votes of no confidence (administration after administration) is that it gives less meaning to them. It's become a broken record, and it also raises a red flag for any future quality administrators who may otherwise have been interested in ISU. Would you want to go to work for a company where the employees keep voting no confidence for boss after boss?

Both sides need to chill, sit down with a moderator, SBOE, or somebody, and be forced to actually listen to each other.

Amen.

And the ISU Voice is a section of the Idaho State Journal devoted to ISU-related stories. the student newspaper is still The Bengal.

I must admit that I don't understand all of the dynamics to this. I am not sure what to think. Any opinions?

State Board of Education suspends ISU's Faculty Senate

BOISE — After months of antagonism between members of Idaho State University’s administration and Faculty Senate, the State Board of Education on Thursday attempted to end the dispute in a way some believe will cast a negative light on ISU and the Gem State.

ISU President Arthur Vailas, facing mounting criticism and pressure from faculty to step down, offered his own solution Thursday for dealing with turmoil on campus: Dissolve the Faculty Senate.

Read More:
http://www.journalnet.com/news/state/article_39b418ec-3adc-11e0-8724-001cc4c03286.html

The SBOE's decision to dissolve the Faculty Senate even made the news on the Boise television stations last night, and normally they couldn't care less what happens in eastern Idaho. When the Carnegie Foundation recently classified ISU as a Research University -- High Status, then none of the Boise media affiliates mentioned this. I think that President Vailas is pro-athletics though, much more than Bowen was. At least this is what a few members of ISU's administration has told me. He did play football years ago at New Hampshire.

Wow. I'm very surprised by this move by the board of education. A large majority of faculty are unhappy with the way Vailas is running the institution so they remove the faculty mouthpiece. Wow.

Latest posts

Back