• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Congratulations Football

letuknow

Congratulations to the football players and staff. 17 football players were named to the All Academic team. The most since 1978! :thumb:

Cub, I think we've just gone down to 59 from 63 scholarships, haven't we. If so then it's really not that big of a deal. A couple years ago I can think of a pretty good Central Washington team with about 45 scholarships that came into the dome and beat us.

We can agree to disagree on this. Being down scholarships is devastating. Being down scholarships kills you with regards to depth, even if it is only 6-8 kids over a two year span. Central Washington may have came in with less scholarships and won the game, but they also have very liberal academic requirements and they can bring in kids that would not be eligible to play Division I.

Scholarships lost are hurting the program immensly. It will take us 4 years to recover from the Zamberlin fiasco! The loss against Central had more to do with the lack of Zamberlins coaching and recruiting! :thumbdown: However we are heading in the right direction and I am excited to be a BENGAL once again!

Actually, I just talked with Jeff Tingey about the APR situation about a month ago, and right now ISU isn't appealing with the NCAA to get the schollys back from 59 to 63, which he says isn't that big of a deal, but there's other facets of the APR program that ISU's been hit with that I didn't quite understand, that he's appealing to get restored. I guess that if someone knows more about the APR program and schollys than Tingey does, maybe they should be the one that should step in and run the athletic department.

I think Tingey has done a great job, but I disagree with the fact that the loss of scholarships isn't hurting us. Are you argueing that not having players that can bench 225 more than 3 times STARTING on our O Line isnt hurting us? Not having SIZE on our D line ISN'T hurting us? Not having SPEED in our secondary ISN'T hurting us? This due to the FACT that we DO NOT have enough scholarships. Also we lost 7 scholarship due to APR issues if I understand correctly and we were able to get 1 back if we cut down practice time. I guess USC hasn't been hurt with the loss of scholarships, Tennesee hasn't been hurt to the loss of scholarships, Ohio St hasn't been effected by the loss of scholarships! Want me to keep going?

ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit" thinks the sanctions against USC will have a real impact on the program".

I guess the loss of scholarships only hurts the bigger shools?

Anyone that doesn't believe the reduction of scholarships, no matter the number, doesn't have an ill-effect on a program, is a fool, and doesn't know much about the importance in numbers when it comes to a football team.. It matters A LOT, and cub has understood that from the beginning of this whole mess..

Of course this is hurting the program. Almost silly that there is any dispute at all.

Running a D1 program is much like a business and the fewer good people you can hire the more everyone else carries the load. And if someone is out it can cripple production and bottom line revenue suffers. Depth is vital..

In my opinion if we could get one more stud receiver to compliment Rumble, a tight end that blocks well and catches even better, a few big physical lineman, and a few players on defense, our team would be much closer to winning 4-5 games in 2012 than not.

Would 4-5 scholarships help.. Darn right they would.

Year 1: A public warning letter for poor performance CHECK
Year 2: Restrictions on scholarships and practice time CHECK
Year 3: Loss of postseason competition for the team (such as a bowl game or the men’s basketball tournament) CHECK
Year 4: Restricted membership status for an institution. The school’s entire athletics program is penalized and will not be considered a part of Division I. NEXT STEP

As you can see losing scholarships for football may be the lessor of ISU's worries. A restricted membership of ISU's athletic program could cost ISU membership in the Big Sky Conference. So, if you want to lose your conference and your athletic program continue to struggle with APR.

I think that what Tingey may be trying to relay is the fact that losing scholarships in football does not hurt as much as what could happen to the program if things continued unchecked.

With regards to football, it matters a ton. See the press releases on APR improvements--if you have any hesitation about if it matters. Walk on caliber athletes (bless them) are receiving scholarships to help offset APR deficiencies. This is a common practice used to cure ARP woes. What does that mean? Lack of depth and lack of talent on the field. Coach Kramer has made a number of references to how much it has hurt to be down scholarships, and quite frankly, I take his word on the state of the football program. Look at your offensive and defensive fronts the last two seasons in particular and tell me if a handful of scholarship caliber players might have helped.

Finally, the academic requirements at ISU recently jumped again for the entire athletic department. What that tells me is that it is put up or shut up time in the athletic department. Get it fixed and show improvement of the consequences will be very severe. I believe that Tingey and Co. are up for the task and things are moving forward in a very positive direction.

Lets be realistic and honest. The real benefit to having more scholarships is to minimize the potential for being wrong. Finding talent, in college and the NFL, is a crap shoot. Some athletes workout some dont. Sometimes the sixth round draft choice is an all star and sometimes the first rounder washes out. The same hold true for college. Sometimes the highly recruited athlete is a bust and the walk on is an all american. Dont minimize the importance of walk ons as they are becoming more important at all levels of college football.The major benefit of more scholarships is to give you more chances of getting the one gem.

Recruiting is a crap shoot.

However the strategy of giving walk-ons scholarships that are sound academically is a widely used strategy to fix APR. My comment is not meant to minimize the importance of walk-ons at all. However, without APR issues those scholarships in most instances would be used to recruit players that may be able to contribute more athletically.

Walk-ons are a very important part of all programs and seeing kids earn scholarships because they have proven themselves on the field and in the classroom is a wonderful thing to see. However, giving a kid a scholarship to fix academic woes diminishes the product on the field. Same thing goes for taking studs that are poor student athletes.

I simply want to see a football team that is back at full strength--better on the field and in the classroom.

I would definately agree. A scholarship should not be given to fix a problem. Go to the root of the problem and recruit good athletes, good students, and good young men.

Being down scholarships definitely hurts the program. By the time you get it fixed your down 12-16+ scholarship players compared to the rest of the schools. It affects your depth and probably more importantly is practice time.

Glad to see you guys headed in the right direction.

A good example of a a "walk-on" player getting a scholarship (if my memory serves me correctly) is Todd Yoder. He got a scholarship his senior year due to his 4.0 gpa. Todd was a decent athlete out there but nothing more than a special teams player. Todd is a good athlete and deserved a scholarship for what he did in the classroom. Those are the kind of things that help a program out of "APR hell".

Latest posts

Back