• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

David Hersh

forestgreen

Staff member
Canzano: PSU and Timbers in a fight that can't be settled on the field

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2014/02/canzano_psu_and_timbers_in_a_f.html#incart_river_default" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't say I'd have handled things the same way, but the man Portland State hired to save its football program apparently had enough, and brought out the flame-thrower on Friday.

Dave Hersh said of his frustrations in trying to get football yard-marker and sidelines painted on the field located at 1844 S.W. Morrison St., "I'm tired of seeing us bullied."

Hersh contracted with the Vikings last year. His return to Portland, where he once co-owned the city's minor-league baseball franchise, was greeted by a mixture of enthusiastic applause and forehead-slapping disbelief. I suspect you'll do precisely one of those things when you hear about the spat over field paint at Jeld-Wen Field.

Hersh is not a small-plan guy. In 1979, he brought Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Hank Aaron, Eddie Mathews and Whitey Ford to what was then called Civic Stadium for an unprecedented old timer's game. Wonderful event.

On the other hand, Hersh also needs a wide berth to do business. Hersh, who owned the Memphis Chicks, had a failed promotion there in 1994 end with fans throwing beer at him and booing after he had to cancel a game and didn't want to offer refunds.

In 1996, Hersh moved the Double-A Chicks to Jackson, Tenn., where he later immersed himself in a gridlock of litigation with that city. The City of Jackson sued him for $150,000 in unpaid ticket surcharges. He counter-sued for $3.5 million. Also, the mayor of Jackson sued Hersh for defamation.

Basically, a bloody headache.

Which brings us to Friday, because Hersh's job is to help save the football program. He's trying desperately to do that, and has a five-year contract with PSU. He went bold midseason 2013 to get one of the Vikings road games televised locally, with a broadcast crew that included Tim Tebow or another household name. It didn't come together. But you had to appreciate the ambition.

Now, Hersh is frustrated the Timbers aren't cooperating with his other plans.

PSU would like to put on a football "Legends Game" featuring ex-San Francisco 49ers greats and Portland State greats (Think: Neil Lomax) in conjunction with their own spring game. Also, the Vikings want to move their Big Sky Conference game scheduled for Saturday (Nov. 22) to a Friday night (Nov. 21) so it can avoid a season spent going head-to-head with Beavers and Ducks.

Jeld-Wen Field is a city-owned venue. The Timbers, like the Vikings, are a tenant. The venue is managed by Peregrine Sports LLC, the Merritt Paulson-led investment group that owns the Timbers and the Thorns. PSU is in the final year of an agreement that allows it, "... up to six (6) home games and three (3) postseason games," at the stadium in exchange for $17,500 in rent per game. The contract also gives Peregrine Sports "full scheduling priority."

At issue, how often football lines belong painted on the Jeld-Wen soccer field. And whether Peregrine Sports can limit PSU's access to Jeld-Wen just because it doesn't want lines painted on the field.

The Vikings would like to paint football sidelines, end zones and yard markers on the field for the spring game, the "Legends Game," and that Friday-night game in November. The Timbers, who have Major League Soccer's All-Star Game at the venue (Aug. 6) and a potential playoff game that same Nov. 21-22 weekend have denied both requests.

Mike Golub, the Timbers chief operating officer said, "They're good ideas. We'd love to host them. But we don't want to paint lines. Every time you paint lines the field suffers degradation. We're concerned with the state of the field."

It takes nine hours for a crew to paint the lines. Same time to scrub them off, weather permitting. Although, anyone who has seen Jeld-Wen post-football use would agree that you still see a hint of the football lines during a televised broadcast, from the stands, or from the press box for a few days after.

"We're focused on aesthetics and the long-term performance of the field," Golub said.

Hersh emphasized repeatedly on Friday that he doesn't view this as a PSU vs. Timbers fight. After all, it's Peregrine Sports LLC, on the contract not Timbers, and it's Hersh's company --- C-Level Sports --- that contracted with the Vikings. But even if you don't want it to be PSU vs. the Timbers, frankly, the spat boils exactly down to that.

"Bottom line is that (Jeld-Wen Field) is a municipally-owned building," Hersh said. "They don't have the right. We've played in that stadium for 40 years. We can go fight a drawn out legal battle that wins nobody anything... there is absolutely no grounds to deny PSU the right to play football games because they don't want to paint lines."

I've seen the contract between PSU and Peregrine Sports (contract.pdf). Hersh is correct. It includes no language of any sort about football-specific paint and yard markers being cause for not allowing the Vikings a date. Also, though, there's no language about PSU having the right to hold a spring game there or old-timer's events at all. Also, the contract clearly makes the Timbers the primary tenant, and gives them scheduling priority, which leaves them driving the bus.

"We can't announce our schedule right now because of this nonsense," Hersh said. "At signing day, I'm talking to our base about the 'Legend's Game.' I expect that to draw people. We're stopped in our tracks because they don't want lines on the field."

Hersh and PSU are paying careful attention to what Paulson is saying and tweeting. Internally, the Vikings are bantering about the football lines being painted as lightly as possible on game days. They're frustrated that they can't schedule events, and are hinting strongly at litigation. They bristled, too, at Paulson's tweet in the run-up to a Sounders-Timbers MLS game at Jeld-Wen last November: "At the risk of giving away one of Caleb's strategies, we play to confuse Seattle w a field lined only for soccer."

CenturyLink Field in Seattle is lined for Seahawks games. I have to agree, the lines make the soccer appear to be secondary to the venue's use. But at debate here is whether Peregrine Sports LLC has the right to deny PSU use of the building not because of a conflict of dates, but simply because it doesn't want that shadow of the football lines on the field.

Said Hersh: "Every single request we make is denied."

Hersh irked the Timbers on Jan. 30 by emailing his frustration over scheduling to Paulson and Golub, copying the city, and others including Timbers key sponsor, William Hueffner, a vice president with Jeld-Wen. Now, he's going public with his frustration.

Anyone who knows the fiery Paulson knows Hersh overplayed his hand here. Paulson declined comment, referring me instead to the diplomatic Golub. Still, these two sides are going to have to sit down and hammer out new use deal after this year.

PSU must know this isn't how you do business.

As a compromise, Golub suggested that PSU could move the Nov. 22 game to Monday, Nov. 24. But Hersh still wants to play the game on Friday the 21st. Even deeper yet, is what happens between these entities moving forward.

That all feels dicey now.

Said Golub: "The contract is clear."

Said Hersh: "If (Timbers) ownership wants their own building, let them buy their own stadium."

Well, I guess that answers the question of what it costs us to host a home game at Jeld Wen.

So if I read this correctly, it takes 18 hours to paint and remove lines for a football game on the turf at Jeld Wen? Is it me or does this seem like a exorbitant amount of time? If we had each endzone painted, maybe. I call bullsh*t.

This sounds like an issue for the municipality to resolve. Both sides win if the means to place and remove lines for the gridiron game are completable with integrity and alacrity.

What about some kind of velcro application? Relatively easy on, easy off. The strips could be secured in place with "penetration pins" into the artificial turf to prevent tripping.

Does the NCAA require "painted lines" or "immovable lines"? What are the constraints here?

The City as landlord needs to mediate this issue, not the contract interpretation of the "primary use tenant." We need to establish a win-win outcome. We have an opportunity to create an innovative solution, e.g. paint that comes up whole with a heat blower (similar to a hair blow dryer). What about using something like a municipal street cleaner to deep clean the paint out after a game?

I'm not an expert on turf management, but is this what occurs at Jeld Wen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1KR7TfJJ-U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BroadwayVik said:
This sounds like an issue for the municipality to resolve. Both sides win if the means to place and remove lines for the gridiron game are completable with integrity and alacrity.

What about some kind of velcro application? Relatively easy on, easy off. The strips could be secured in place with "penetration pins" into the artificial turf to prevent tripping.

Does the NCAA require "painted lines" or "immovable lines"? What are the constraints here?

The City as landlord needs to mediate this issue, not the contract interpretation of the "primary use tenant." We need to establish a win-win outcome. We have an opportunity to create an innovative solution, e.g. paint that comes up whole with a heat blower (similar to a hair blow dryer). What about using something like a municipal street cleaner to deep clean the paint out after a game?

The municipality already considers it resolved. Peregrine has the management rights to the stadium, generally because Merritt Paulson paid for about 70% of the renovation and pays a somewhat upscale amount of rent to the city (well north of $17,000 per game) for those rights. You know what they say about "possession is 9/10ths of the law," right?

So now what? Is the Blitz soution in the video adequate to not leave "ghost lines"? Isn't the problem basically solved, then, leaving this a non-issue to wrangle over?

Peregrine still has the obligation to accommodate the Viks so long as the "ghost lines" are reliably gone for each soccer match. I think another pair of stipulations that need to be followed are "due diligence" and "reasonable accommodation" on part of Peregrine. What's fair is fair.

BroadwayVik said:
So now what? Is the Blitz soution in the video adequate to not leave "ghost lines"? Isn't the problem basically solved, then, leaving this a non-issue to wrangle over?

Peregrine still has the obligation to accommodate the Viks so long as the "ghost lines" are reliably gone for each soccer match. I think another pair of stipulations that need to be followed are "due diligence" and "reasonable accommodation" on part of Peregrine. What's fair is fair.

I think the lines are only nominally the issue. Of course, I have too much of a habit of reading between them.

- MLS is on the verge of at least doubling the amount of the TV contract and part of the strategy is to make Friday nights a consistent TV night (not a consistent game night like Saturday, but a consistent TV night), so while there's no way to predict whether that would actually happen in Portland, MP wants that Friday to be possible. It's easier to schedule that potential playoff game Friday night and turn around for football the next day than it is for PSU to play that night and turn around for MLS on Sunday.

- The part about the scrubbing that misses the point: degradation of the surface. New turf was laid late last month, only three years after replacing it in the renovation. That's an issue, but...

- ...I guarantee you MP gets far more flack from national and local sources about the surface not being natural grass than he does for barely accomodating Portland State. That would be that, because he honors the letter of the agreement with PSU... but what MP has realized in three years is, even though he found a surface that a Thierry Henry or David Beckham don't hate enough to avoid, he can't sign such people to come to Portland. He's made some comments to the media about considering grass, but he knows darn well that you can't have grass AND Portland State football. Now, guess where the rumors of 1,500 paid per game come from (or, for 2013, less than that as I'm told on Twitter yesterday).

- Does David Hersh know all this? Maybe. Real issue: does he have a way of trying to address this without going public? Problem is, I think the answer is no... which is why I mentioned in comments that him going public was predictable. The only chance PSU has to keep a foot in the door at- BTW, just changed today- Providence Park is by Hersh raising a stink and hoping people rush to his defense, because Wim Wiewel already laid the hammer down. My guess: MP has a hard time believing this program exists after 2014.

(BTW, an "irascible challenge" between Paulson and Hersh might be interesting. You've seen Paulson work, but did you read the blurb Canzano linked about Hersh's history in Memphis?)

Yes, Hersh most definitely might prefer some irascibility in the mix. Maybe that's how his performance is optimized. Hey, whatever he needs in terms of mustering up leadership is fine with me. Canzano can play the gatekeeper, instigator or both. I just hope that in the end, we can all remain friends.

Could not Wim Wiewel's requirement be met through through the Viks' participation in two money games a season? Wouldn't that, in essence, also require the team to progress and improve commensurately? I would welcome that kind of resolve toward progress: Do or do not.

There was a time when sporting clubs built stadiums. That's how Multnomah Stadium came to be.

There was a time when cities built stadia and arenas and pro sports teams rented from them, saving the cost of building it themselves. That's how Memorial Coliseum arose. At one time, it was enough to have a place to play, keep the price of tickets down, and people were happy. Of course, that was also the time when, say, Oregon and OSU football appeared on television once in ten years. Odds are that most of you are bored of me saying this already... the crowds at PSU games skew way too old. You already know this part.

As professional teams realized they could hold out for more from cities, they did. When the cities had a bit of control, all of these saucer-shaped combination stadiums were built to house MLB and NFL. This seemed to give control to MLB teams (who needed far more dates), but a funny thing happened: these places were too big for baseball teams... and too small for NFL teams. The NFL got stronger by selling more season tickets and compiling waiting lists.

So then Camden Yards happened. It was specific to baseball, used its Baltimore surroundings, spent splendiferous amounts on small details, but also had dedicated luxury suites. It was retro-feeling but forward-looking. Also, it sold season tickets.

It sold season tickets.

We can argue whether it saved baseball or not, but it certainly refocused baseball. Oakland is the last issue to be solved, and that's no easy issue to solve (as long as TV money is primary, they're not leaving the Bay. TV money is primary for the foreseeable future.)

The point is to control your own facility, and make it the proper size. Almost everything that has been built since Camden Yards (in any sport) had this in mind. One of the exceptions: the Rose Garden was built too big.

So if you think Providence Park is convenient, that's one thing. It's twice as big as PSU has ever needed and four times as big as PSU currently needs. BTW, if you want to throw in playoff crowds, you've completely missed the point.

IMO, the best-case scenario for PSU football to just remain in the Big Sky:

- A freeway cap near campus. Maybe the stadium sits on it, maybe other things are pushed further out to create space closer in, because Homeland Security might frown on spectator facilities directly over a freeway.

- A 5,000-seat stand on one side, with cover, for PSU fans. For now, bleachers on the other side for the visiting fans.

- Room to expand as needed.

To a lot of you, that sounds like a comedown. I know. Thing is, it'll be no rent, and PSU can plaster stuff EVERYWHERE (not just the field), and that's important.

I love the idea of the Viks having a place of their own without outside interference. I see the root of San Diego State's growth problems of their football program being directly related with them playing in the Chargers' stadium without anything to call their own. That has got to feel very alienating to the alumni.

College football is a marvelous experience in the South. When I attended a GT game against MD with a friend, a GT alum, and it was a pleasurable experience from arrival to departure -- like a massage and pampering of the psyche. The fact that GT won was like a bestowed icing on the cake. The question on the field seemed to be who was better at minding their spiritual store this week to enable them the edge to pull victory over the less spiritually attendant team. No wonder they call college football "religion" in the South.

The main intoxicant of the experience was that the real estate was all theirs. Though a public institution, not all were alums. Even the students, depending on their level of graduation-confidence, were feeling their affiliation with the alumni at varying levels and degrees.

We, the Portland State Alumni, must have reassurances when it comes to real estate investment such as this. We must know that the OUS is not going to interfere but will, in fact, bolster protection from interference from any other Oregon university institution. When any comes to play at our place, their fans must act as good guests or we show them the door. We do need the pride of ownership to grow the athletics program.

I like the idea of building on land that is big enough to hold a major TV revenue program, and that we start small right here in the big sky. We start, like Montana did, making what we need for now, but with expandability at the core of our building plan. We see where we desire to be and start building it from where we are now. Start with the grandstands for the PSU fans and the bleachers for the other team's fans like you said. Build from there.

We need room to be able to stretch our legs and eventually have the kind of massive pre-game tailgating parties for which we have the numbers. The right land acquisition is key. This could come from our relationship with Portland Public Schools, wealthy alumni, Ross Island, Marquam Hill & OHSU, etc.

We need to think in terms of efficient use of money to evolve the building of an elite TV money athletics program. Is there anything sexier for Portland State than having our own athletics real estate?

Step 1: Identify best land opportunities. How many acres are needed?

Canzano needs to at least try to come off as a mensch instead of copping the media image of some kind of judgmental know-it-all in this ostensibly staged rivalry. This has a pretty groteseque media effect as the attitude he adopts is downright ungracious. It is as if he has a mentality of fault-finding that degenerates sharply and inexorably into that of a bloody inquisitor. Besides betrayal, the effect of this interview just seem to conger up delusions of grandeur for a persona rightfully called "Il Douché."

BroadwayVik said:
Canzano needs to at least try to come off as a mensch instead of copping the media image of some kind of judgmental know-it-all in this ostensibly staged rivalry. This has a pretty groteseque media effect as the attitude he adopts is downright ungracious. It is as if he has a mentality of fault-finding that degenerates sharply and inexorably into that of a bloody inquisitor. Besides betrayal, the effect of this interview just seem to conger up delusions of grandeur for a persona rightfully called "Il Douché."

Canzano's issue isn't "know-it-all," it's being Moral Mommy in a city of know-it-alls. The extent of his power is that, two years ago, he pushed Brian Parrott heavily for a city commissioner position. Result: 2% of the vote (which puts his doubled-down NFL-to-Portland stunt in perspective). He does better with a suburban audience... problem is, guess who goes to football games.

The other problem is that Hersh didn't do his homework. This is far from the first time Canzano resorted to this stunt... and it came from what Canzano perceived as a lie from Hersh. The majority of this market doesn't have a clue what Hersh did in the 70s. There's been a lot of turnover here.

Hersh fighting for Portland State

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/227784-90638-hersh-fighting-for-portland-state" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back