• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Desperation is dangerous and random thoughts.

bengalcub

ISU has had a new offensive coordinator and QB coach in the last theee seasons. I believe that they have had two new offensive line coaches during the same three years. Putting in a new offensive scheme during fall ball means that it will take time for the team to get up to speed, and they won't be clicking until well into the regular season. The changes if implemented should have came during spring ball.

Defensively, for the past two seasons the defensive unit has struggled massively with alignment issues. They struggle to get lined up even pre-snap. I often see players trying desperately to communicate and this can continue even up to the points that the ball is snapped.

Burning red shirts on kids that shouldn't be playing is troublesome. I am of the opinion that when you see a large number of incoming freshman playing, it is less about building the program and more about desperation.

Kramer can pay some dues now and get young kids on the field and in time you will see very young units turn very good down the road. But, having so much of it is not by design and it illustrates the lack of depth and talent in certain areas.

Idaho State needs a premier game breaker at QB. Is Gueller the man to produce the results? I am not sure. I see some amazing things but I also see a kid that struggles reading defenses, often holds the ball too long and turns the ball over at a high rate. Trouble is, I don't see any Big Sky level talent behind him. Saying this, see above. Changing coaches year after year and implementing a new scheme late.

A team that throws as much as ISU should always be loaded at receiver and they should never struggle finding a QB that has the talent and desire to throw the ball all over the field. Where is the speed at WR? I scratch my head and wonder, are these two positions as talented and deep as we have seen during the first few years under Kramer? Maybe it is nothing more than constant coaching changes.

On the offensive front, one benefit of having such a young unit on the field is that they could be very, very good down the road. But I ask myself, has this unit ever really been dominant under Kramer or was the success that they had running the ball only a result of being able to throw the ball deep?

Dean in the slot. Great idea, I hoped for that a long time ago. Now put him in motion and give him more of a chance at getting a free release. I would start him out often in the backfield and shift or motion him to the slot. If he can get matched up with a LB, I like those odds. Plus, he will be a great decoy to free up others. Defenses must account for him on every play.

Kicking game. Even with the lack of success over the years, traditionally Idaho State has almost always been elite in kicking in punting. There is no reason to ever be average to below average in those two areas.

At WR, talented kid's like Jones and Hansen leaving for whatever reason has lead to depth problems as we are constantly trying to replace them. We finally have depth at Oline but it is all young and inexperienced. You can have a true freshman play, but not three or four. To much to learn to fast as well as there nuts not having drop yet. Same with Dline although it is easier to play Dline but lack of maturity and experience is a killer. Remember, Kramer never said the Defense was going to be good this year, he said wait until next year. I believe Cub is right, we are having to play true freshman because of a lack of talent at some positions. But I attribute this to the APR problem taking so long to resolve. We were able to get our scholarships back, but those kids are now Sophomores. We are a very young team. As to JC kids; Oline and Dline with the academics to transfer to a Div I program are a premium. All the BCS teams want them as depth and immediate experience. Even though DB's and WR's are more plentiful, you still have our academic requirements. Easier to go and get a high school get that has already shown he is sound. Each year Kramer has been here he has signed a handful of JC kids, most have panned out. But many of our JC's and Div. I transfers have been Walk-on's, some good some not so good. Cub stated about six years ago that it would take five years to start the getting better from the APR problem the way we did it by giving high academic walk-on's money. I believe we are now starting to see the changes required to make that move. I don't believe you will see a drastic change in the policy concerning athletic's at ISU, we will continue to be one of the higher achieving schools in the conference as we should be.

blackfootbengal said:
At WR, talented kid's like Jones and Hansen leaving for whatever reason has lead to depth problems as we are constantly trying to replace them. We finally have depth at Oline but it is all young and inexperienced. You can have a true freshman play, but not three or four. To much to learn to fast as well as there nuts not having drop yet. Same with Dline although it is easier to play Dline but lack of maturity and experience is a killer. Remember, Kramer never said the Defense was going to be good this year, he said wait until next year. I believe Cub is right, we are having to play true freshman because of a lack of talent at some positions. But I attribute this to the APR problem taking so long to resolve. We were able to get our scholarships back, but those kids are now Sophomores. We are a very young team. As to JC kids; Oline and Dline with the academics to transfer to a Div I program are a premium. All the BCS teams want them as depth and immediate experience. Even though DB's and WR's are more plentiful, you still have our academic requirements. Easier to go and get a high school get that has already shown he is sound. Each year Kramer has been here he has signed a handful of JC kids, most have panned out. But many of our JC's and Div. I transfers have been Walk-on's, some good some not so good. Cub stated about six years ago that it would take five years to start the getting better from the APR problem the way we did it by giving high academic walk-on's money. I believe we are now starting to see the changes required to make that move. I don't believe you will see a drastic change in the policy concerning athletic's at ISU, we will continue to be one of the higher achieving schools in the conference as we should be.

Great post.

Thanks Blackfoot, very good post.

I forgot about Nick Jones. I just read he tore it up last year for College of the Canyons.
https://canyons.prestosports.com/sports/fball/2015-16/releases/20160114p1mhae

It is so good to see bengalcub and blackfootbengal analysis back. I, for one, need it to understand what's happening in Bengal program.

It's been nice reading a couple of threads that have arisen the past day or two that are dealing with the question of How ISU might be able to get out of the "quicksand" and begin to build a winning program. There are some new posters here on this forum this year so it's obvious that we are not going to know all about ISU's past and being one of the new people here I really have appreciated reading some of your posts here and on the thread of recruiting, which is a similar topic. I think most sports fans want to win, and when we're in a program that has been losing a lot lately it does become frustrating, and that frustration is certainly going to leak out onto chat sites. I think that new comers to this board, and new players to the program do bring hope that things can change. And I see that hope in these two threads that I just mentioned. And I know that this hope lies inside of those football players. And most likely a lot of them. I disagree somewhat that the kids here at ISU came here mostly because they wanty a degree. I believe that they WANT to play football, that they love playing football, and they love winning. I know that because my grandson is at ISU (redshirting) and I know he is one tough kid, and a great football player. I know if I were coaching anywhere that I'd want him on my team. I know he'll give it 110% while he's at ISU. And I know there are many, other players who are just like him. The best question that I have seen, I believe it was on the other thread, is to ask what we can do to get that confidence and attitude out of them. And it's a great question, and it ALWAYS has to do with coaches. And it has very little to do with us who are jabber boxes, and who love football and other sports, and many may have family and friends who Play ant ISU. One thing we can do is to try to stay positive, support the kids and support the coaches, and for those believers PRAY. I do that a lot. I do like the coaches, although I have not met them but my son and grandson have and they really like them. I do know that Kramer has been a winner, and that he knows how to win. My son and grandson were a part of turning a high school program around. A program that had never been to a state playoff. And the last two years that they were at that school the went to the state playoffs two years in a row. And it all began with working with a group of kids when gthey were young kids, and my son was coaching them, along with his good buddy who played at WSU. Both of these guys helped that high school do what had not been done. I think we can agree that we have kids at ISU that can win in the Big Sky. And at times there are kids who have played at ISU who have made it to the BIG LEAGUES. But most will be satisfied with playing at ISU and getting a good degree and use it to go out into the world and MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Afterall, there is a heck of a lot to do in life besides play in the Big Leagues.

Go Bengals

Reborn2010 said:
It's been nice reading a couple of threads that have arisen the past day or two that are dealing with the question of How ISU might be able to get out of the "quicksand" and begin to build a winning program. There are some new posters here on this forum this year so it's obvious that we are not going to know all about ISU's past and being one of the new people here I really have appreciated reading some of your posts here and on the thread of recruiting, which is a similar topic. I think most sports fans want to win, and when we're in a program that has been losing a lot lately it does become frustrating, and that frustration is certainly going to leak out onto chat sites. I think that new comers to this board, and new players to the program do bring hope that things can change. And I see that hope in these two threads that I just mentioned. And I know that this hope lies inside of those football players. And most likely a lot of them. I disagree somewhat that the kids here at ISU came here mostly because they wanty a degree. I believe that they WANT to play football, that they love playing football, and they love winning. I know that because my grandson is at ISU (redshirting) and I know he is one tough kid, and a great football player. I know if I were coaching anywhere that I'd want him on my team. I know he'll give it 110% while he's at ISU. And I know there are many, other players who are just like him. The best question that I have seen, I believe it was on the other thread, is to ask what we can do to get that confidence and attitude out of them. And it's a great question, and it ALWAYS has to do with coaches. And it has very little to do with us who are jabber boxes, and who love football and other sports, and many may have family and friends who Play ant ISU. One thing we can do is to try to stay positive, support the kids and support the coaches, and for those believers PRAY. I do that a lot. I do like the coaches, although I have not met them but my son and grandson have and they really like them. I do know that Kramer has been a winner, and that he knows how to win. My son and grandson were a part of turning a high school program around. A program that had never been to a state playoff. And the last two years that they were at that school the went to the state playoffs two years in a row. And it all began with working with a group of kids when gthey were young kids, and my son was coaching them, along with his good buddy who played at WSU. Both of these guys helped that high school do what had not been done. I think we can agree that we have kids at ISU that can win in the Big Sky. And at times there are kids who have played at ISU who have made it to the BIG LEAGUES. But most will be satisfied with playing at ISU and getting a good degree and use it to go out into the world and MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Afterall, there is a heck of a lot to do in life besides play in the Big Leagues.

Go Bengals

Great post Reborn2010

Latest posts

Back