• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Different Philosophy.

bengalcub

The Southern Utah turnaround...

Cedar City » Before Ed Lamb arrived at Southern Utah, the Thunderbirds had lost 18 straight games and the lack of enthusiasm for a downtrodden football program was palpable.

Around town and across campus, there was more interest in the Groovefest Musical Festival and Sigma Chi Derby Days than the T-Birds.

"I have to admit it," says local businessman/booster Mike Leavitt Jr. "I didn't care about SUU football at all. I'd been to, like, one game in three years."

No wonder.

During its final three seasons under coach Wes Meier, Southern Utah lost 28 of 32 games by margins like 59-0 and 55-7.

Two years later?

After going 4-7 in Lamb's first season, the Thunderbirds take a 1-2 record into Saturday's game at Utah State.

http://www.sltrib.com/collegesports/ci_13394675

We already have the scholarship numbers. I didn't read any big secrets here unless you want Z and company to bunk in the dorms.

The article mentions community involvement. Maybe his staff and players have gone out to local community organizations and schools and spoken to people and asked them to come to games? When people get to know the staff and players as persons that you can talk to and look for on the sidelines and on the field on a game day and at other times - fans' attitudes change - usually for the better.

Maybe we can get the SUU boys up here to share some of their secrets. Too bad more info wasn't presented on what changed the supporters' attitudes.

Try marketing the product - something that (I've said before and will keep saying) is sorely missing at ISU.

Instead of whining about the empty seats and money troubles, try taking some basic steps to see if they help towards fixing the problem. Right now nothing is being done - at least effectively - and something else needs to be tried. Maybe "it's just an eastern Idaho thing."

Notabengalalum (I'm not one either)-
While I don't think the marketing is outstanding some of the lack of marketing is certainly do to a lack of funds. What do you think specifically could be done from a marketing perspective to increase fan support and/or recruiting.

1) I thought one great idea is to give away free tuition (2 semesters) to a student. You can register once per game by swiping your student ID. Conduct a drawing at the end of the year. The more times you enter the greater your chance of winning.
2) Give away a 3 great student parking passes every game to the 3 best student fans.
3) Create a competition for student groups participating at the game. Have each group create a specific cheer and try to out-do the others, or dress up in a theme. Give them some institutional support as a 1st prize for the best group(meeting rooms, food, ?)

All these ideas are fostering the culture of supporting and HAVING FUN at the ISU games. Once it is established, it can be sustained.

What specific ideas do all of you have??

Notabengal, there have been several events recently where the football team, and other athletic dept. teams, have interacted with the public. Several members of the football team went to the Diabetes camp and spent time with the kids there. Last week, the three fall sports teams, football, volleyball and soccer, hosted kids at the Outer Limits, signed posters (which include schedules), and played with the kids (http://isubengals.cstv.com/genrel/091609aaa.html). That event got good coverage in the Journal, as did the Diabetes camp interaction. Earlier this summer, the men's basketball team served as referees for the Brian Reems three-on-three basketball tournament, working out in the rain all day long. Several of the Bengals also officiated during the Catholic School basketball tournament at Holy Spirit for three days this spring. My grandson is a big Clint Knickhrem fan because he umpired city league softball this summer.

I also noticed in the Journal on Sunday an insert add for the volleyball team that listed a special attendance promotion for each home game.

I guess what I'm saying is that a lot of the things people are suggesting on this board (more community interaction, special promotions for each game, more advertising) are being done. But when it comes to game attendance, we all know there's nothing that winning a few football games couldn't cure.

skippy: I realize that the teams have done some great work with the campers and that is a real positive. Absolutely commendable. There was talk about how well the laser tag event went as well.
Big question is: where were all those kids and their families Saturday afternoon?
Why not go out to schools and give away the end zone tix that no one will buy anyway and load the place with kids that want to make a ton of noise. Bring in youth football teams. Anything that can put noisy bodies into the Dome. We used to see punt, pass, and kick contests with younger kids if I'm not mistaken. There are loads of possibilities that don't cost a lot of money. But, the payback can be huge.
qb: they did the scholarship money drawings while Paul Bubb was AD. It doesn't even have to be that expensive of a prize - especially considering the budget issues. The parking passes are a good idea. There are other things, too - like gift cards to the bookstore as an idea. That might appeal to many of the students.
The bottom line is that there are lots of things that can be done that don't destroy the bottom line!
We can suggest all we want on here but until someone in the inner workings says, "let's give it a try" then nothing will happen.
I also think that much more can be done to reach out to Blackfoot, Idaho Falls, and the other towns around Pocatello than is being done right now.
I still think it would be very interesting to see what SUU did to turn it around.
Small steps, Sparky!

What I gathered from the Southern Utah read was that Southern Utah expects to win now. They don't care about the past history, they know that they have the ability to win games now.

I also like the strategy of playing money games that make sense. They want to play D-1 teams that are in there recruiting pipeline, because those are the games that the recruits want to play. They also are comfortable turning down programs that are willing to pay a boat load of cash. They also seem schedule teams that are lower D-1 teams and they believe that they can win the game in addition to collecting a paycheck.

What impresses me is how quickly the T-Birds have turned things around. They had a horrible team a few short years ago. Cedar City isn't the most 'desirable' place in the world and the football facilities would not be considered as 'world class' at all. From and academic standpoint, SUU does not have as much to offer as BSC schools.

But, the coolest thing is that the fans believe that the program is moving in the right direction and they are coming out to support the team.

Latest posts

Back