• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Every good riot...

PortlandStater

...starts with good planning.

PSU needs a better (student) fan community. Why not use this forum to begin creating one?

Step one: Spread the word about the forum. Print some flyers and advertise before games (hello, football season). Talk to the Horde to team up. Talk to Athletics to make us their "official" forum - it's scandalous that goviks.com does not link here.

Two: Let's also use this forum as a meeting point for people who seek likeminded people to go to games with. I, for example, attended PSU only for a two-years master's program. I met wonderful people, but not a single one is interested in college sports. As a consequence, I sometimes have to go to games on my own, which is slightly weird. I understand this forum serves very different age groups. It would be cool to get everyone together once in a while to have a good time.

Are my ideas stupid? Do you have more/other ideas? Here's the place to post them. /users/31/07/37/smiles/595146.gif

Not stupid at all. Your idea of spreading the word about this forum to the students is something I've been thinking about. Also, agree about having a link from goviks.com and I've noticed on one of the links to this forum on Oregonlive.com goes to a Penn State site. If I had more time, I'd write more, but PortlandStater you're thinking in the right direction. Go Viks!

Just a couple additions, since it sounds to me like you're starting to go down the relatively successful Timbers Army path.

This forum should be the daily meeting point, but monthly get-togethers (probably at Cheerful Tortoise for the older ones, some other means for the younger folks at various points) are very good for brainstorming, getting people to commit to spending time and money to organize things. It's more fun at the Tortoise, ideally, but I doubt I can provide enough impetus to override the minimum drinking age.

However.... don't OVER-organize. One reason Timbers Army works is no leaders, a healthy (if not complete) disdain for falling into cliques... "leaders" tend to have an egalitarian attitude, if not consensus-based anarchist. There's all types in there, many of whom probably don't get along well with others... so an open mind is a must.

One of the reasons Torre Chisholm was hired was because he has a history for making student fan groups stronger.There has definitely been an effort somwhere. I get regular emails from the horde through my student email account, and the promotions at games have been better this academic year. I haven't been there since December, but they had already surpassed efforts in recent years in the first few months.

PortlandStater said:
...starts with good planning.

PSU needs a better (student) fan community. Why not use this forum to begin creating one?

Step one: Spread the word about the forum. Print some flyers and advertise before games (hello, football season). Talk to the Horde to team up. Talk to Athletics to make us their "official" forum - it's scandalous that goviks.com does not link here.

Two: Let's also use this forum as a meeting point for people who seek likeminded people to go to games with. I, for example, attended PSU only for a two-years master's program. I met wonderful people, but not a single one is interested in college sports. As a consequence, I sometimes have to go to games on my own, which is slightly weird. I understand this forum serves very different age groups. It would be cool to get everyone together once in a while to have a good time.

Are my ideas stupid? Do you have more/other ideas? Here's the place to post them. /users/31/07/37/smiles/595146.gif

I've had similar experiences regarding going to games alone or not finding fellow Vikings who are interested in sports. Next time that happens, PM me!

I will. /users/31/07/37/smiles/595146.gif It would be nice to have a gang of forum guys whose friends/wives/husbands/partners are not into college sports. I will dig up this thread with the beginning of the football season.

Thanks for your input so far. It would be nice to get hear PSUViking's point of view, since this is his board after all. Where are we going from here and where do we want to be in the future.

Thought I'd post this here.

The Horde was awesome on Saturday night.

Creative chants, good numbers. It's no Cameron Crazies, and it ain't the Pit Crew, but I was impressed.

How can the PSU students bring this night in, and night out?

The other athletes are largely responsible. I always see members of the soccer, track, tennis, and wrestling teams. The big games seem to draw the others in. I'm guessing that the word just got around about it being a tv game. On most nights, the student turnout is pretty embarrassing.

I agree. The student section is pretty embarrassing!

I've noticed that the V-Team has started making facebook events for all of the games. I think that's a pretty good way to promote the event if they pushed it a little more. They need to ask that all of their members invite all of their friends.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/event.php?eid=56883646975&ref=nf

Hopefully the crowd that game out and saw Saturday's game will want to come back and see more!

Latest posts

Back