• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

field turf

tigersmilk

i've mentioned this before but the way i see it Boise States blue field turf provides an advantage to the bronco's, i wont go into the specific psychology behind the advantage of wearing the same color jersey as the field you play on but it's a reality. likewise Eastern Washington who now has red field turf is reaping the benefits of the phenomenon.

anyone know of a reason the bengals cant get a black field turf for next year?

That would be a real bad color for TV. Orange would be a great color. I vote for orange ! Black turf and black pants, and whites tops can't imagine what that would look like. But would be happy with any color of new turf for the players.

New WAC member UT-San Antonio may beat ISU to the orange turf... (Personally, I prefer green ;) )

Without any games to play, it’s taken a novelty photo (see below) to get UTSA football into the mainstream news. Local radio stations were abuzz yesterday with talk that the Roadrunners could go gimmick, a la Boise State, with an orange field at the Alamodome.

orangefield.jpg

Read more: San Antonio Express-News: UTSA Sports Blog

Any field turf, regardless of color, will be better than the crap we have now. Something neat like black or orange would certainly boost football and help with recruiting. EWU has certainly paid off by doing so. As far as funding is concerned: since ISU shares the field with the local high schools, are they going to help pay for the new field? Many times Bengal football gets kicked off their own field because of them so I am wondering if we are going to fund it ourselves for their benefit.

S.Dogood said:
Any field turf, regardless of color, will be better than the crap we have now. Something neat like black or orange would certainly boost football and help with recruiting. EWU has certainly paid off by doing so. As far as funding is concerned: since ISU shares the field with the local high schools, are they going to help pay for the new field? Many times Bengal football gets kicked off their own field because of them so I am wondering if we are going to fund it ourselves for their benefit.

interesting point, perhaps a turf tariff off the revenues generated at the high school games?

S.Dogood said:

I like the way you think Dog!

bhumble said:
S.Dogood said:

I like the way you think Dog!

BHUMBLE.....you will really like new turf I bet with all the running you do each game!!

BTW...NO color please "REAL MEN PLAY ON GREEN TURF" print it!!

Please, NO GIMMICKS

Field is being paid by ISU only. Part of it will have to be financed I bet and most of it paid up front....about a $1 Mil. I have been told !! ?

Black would be cool, but I would like to see green. Paint the bleachers all orange and I would be in heaven.

A few problems I can already see:
I know when the plans for new turf were being conceived, it was planned that the turf would stay down for the entire football season. This is because the roller system now takes about an hour to roll in/out the turf and field turf will take 12+ hours to install. When high schools play in the dome they are paying about $3k for the night and pay a percentage of concessions. This is barely enough to keep the lights on as it is. Keeping the turf from being pulled up every other day will help with it's life expectancy, but other forms of revenue will not be there anymore. That means car shows, conventions, concerts, monster trucks, MX racing, and rodeos will all have to be fit into the rest of the year. Basketball doesn't tear down after each game and neither does track. That leaves no room for scheduling other events that help with a large chunk of revenue for the school. ISU can't afford to lose these events. If ISU is going to pay for the new field turf then they need to find some other way to make some money in the dome. Having an indoor field is a valuable commodity during DST and cold winters. If high schools teams find it so important that they choose to wait till 8pm just to practice in it, then I would think they would be willing to fork up some cash to use it. Tigersmilk has it right...we should "tax" the hell out of the thing. We can call it the Tingey Turf Tariff and milk these schools for every penny they have. These are days where everything is a business deal and ISU has a monopoly with Holt. Having to buy out the rest of coach Z's contract, the $1M price tag for new turf, and the large amount of money that is going to be lost because the turf can't be pulled up as often, this is the only viable option. ISU charged these high school teams mere pennies to play on 1960's turf. If schools want to play on ISU's new field turf then they should pay extra for it. No gimmicks...just business.

The tray system takes that long to pick up and put down? Wow!

Personally, I think that ISU should make some money off of the community. If the town won't pony up for maintenance, then they need to pay at the time of the event.

Charge money on tickets sold and charge for parking at all events.

That or else put the community out on its can. After a year or two of bad weather football, the town should come around.

Unlike permanent field turf, there are a bunch of 5 yard sections that need to be fitted together like a giant puzzle and then the pellets need to be disbursed and evened out. The system would be the same as U of I and when talking with them, they said 12 hours at best. I'm sure it will take some time to figure out a good system of doing it so probably a little longer for ISU at first. It's not worth it to lay out and pull up during season so U of I keeps it out all throughout season because paying maintenance crews for all that work would cost too much. Another addition that I think would be a good move would be to take out the seats and put in aluminum benches instead. The seats that they have now look ridiculous with all of the different colors and maintaining them is impossible. They only have about ten more seats to replace the broken ones and the manufacturer for them doesn't exist anymore so soon they will have a problem. The cost of maintaining the benches would be close to nothing and ISU could purchase a thousand or so seat-backs for those who want them and charge a couple bucks to rent them for the game. Maybe even throw in a free seat to use as a little incentive for those who buy season tickets. Just a thought...

Someone on the Vandal board did a photoshop of their field in black and then alternating black and gold, they looked pretty good. That was a while ago but if someone there has it, take a look.

If high schools teams find it so important that they choose to wait till 8pm just to practice in it, then I would think they would be willing to fork up some cash to use it. Tigersmilk has it right...we should "tax" the hell out of the thing. We can call it the Tingey Turf Tariff and milk these schools for every penny they have. These are days where everything is a business deal and ISU has a monopoly with Holt. Having to buy out the rest of coach Z's contract, the $1M price tag for new turf, and the large amount of money that is going to be lost because the turf can't be pulled up as often, this is the only viable option. ISU charged these high school teams mere pennies to play on 1960's turf. If schools want to play on ISU's new field turf then they should pay extra for it. No gimmicks...just business.[/quote]

The high schools have been discussing the cost of playing games in Holt and if the price goes up the schools will not play the games. Century and Highland both have fields and Pokey could use one of them or a middle school field so much for the monopoly on football fields. So Kiss goodby another source of revinue even though it is small. Oh and kiss goodby the state games that are played in holt and all the revenue that the traveling teams provide to pocatello restraunts and hotels that will make ISU even more populare than it is now. Using the buisness model if the schools were willing to pay more then of course they would have to be able to get better times to practice which would also cut down on the prime practice time that ISU has now. But then everything is just business. Should the residence of pocatello help pay maintanence costs for Holt the answer is an easy yes. Should the local high schools that are straped for cash and looking for ways to save money be charged more No.

If we can or should I say that WHEN we turn the football program results around, ticket revenue should improve with increased attendance. Right? At that point or maybe even sooner, it's time to look at increasing the price of football tix to ISU games. Right now, regularly priced ISU tix are about half the cost of attending a Southern Conference (same FCS classification as Big Sky) game at just about any school in that conference. Student guest tickets here cost $8 total. You can't go to the movies for that. Parking for $5 is also in line with what many similar schools charge and cheaper than many. Just some thoughts.
How about selling portions of the old turf from the Holt when the new stuff is ready to be installed. A big "50" on a swatch of turf or one with some hash marks would look great in the game room! Not as desirable as some old Yankee Stadium seats but...... :D

Actually before any of that they need to charge parking for the OTHER events at Holt. Think for a minute...if you go to an ISU basketball game, you pay $5 to park. If you go to a high school game...Poky/Highland? Zero. They don't charge for high school games...how much money are they losing?

Also, against Montana last year in Holt, the parking folks showed up at 2 or so for the 3:35 p.m. kick-off, meaning about 200 Montana cars parked for free....that's $1,000 right there they missed.

Parking charges need to go again everyone, not just for those coming to an ISU event. This is a fight Jeff has tried waging and continually runs into a brick wall on.

FormerISUSID

Latest posts

Back