• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Fight song

PortlandStater

So, apparently we have a fight song. Is there anywhere I can listen to it?

I loved how much game day atmosphere the band created at PGE Park last year. I hope they'll continue doing that.

Portland State

Fight, fight, fight for Portland State,
On to victory,
Fight, fight, fight for Portland State,
Mighty men are we,
On, oh, Viking, down the field,
Score and win the game,
Let them know we never die,
We cheer for Viking Fame.

Sounds a lot like the Cougars' fight song if you ask me... ;)

These are lyrics written by a PSU cheerleader to the fight song music of the Ohio University Bobcats. Around 1996, Ohio University heard PSU was using their music and their A.D. made official request of our A.D. that we no longer do that. Charlie Gray, a professor within PSU's school of music and a pair of PSU masters alums (MA, music & MBA) embarked on independent fight song writing projects for PSU.

The Charlie Gray piece was adapted by the athletics department, but the piece written by the masters alums is also good. The latter has lyrics but I don't know if the Charlie Gray piece has them or not. His piece could have even been written around the lyrics used originally with the Ohio University music, but evidence of any lyrics remains a mystery.

One of the masters-alums proposed combining their piece with Charlie Gray's. I've heard it and prefer the combined piece to either alone.

The ending of the Norse Code depicts the newly-improved PSU fight song.

Originated by Portland State <College of the Arts> Jazz Studies Coordinator (our own Charles Gray), the song, when it was first released, was a highly original piece among collegiate fight songs; jazzy, yes. In my opinion, it had good bones but needed some more sinew.

Now, hearing it at the end of the Norse Code presentations, I can tell that the fight song has been beefed up to sound like a more traditional college fight song. I think if Charles Gray can continue to find inspiration within himself, he will come to achieve what will be considered a highly touted college fight song (wrapped in musical maturity and delight).

He achieved a good 50 percent of this when it was first introduced, and has now brought it up to at least 75-80 percent on his latest arrangement (Arrangement No. 2).

Specifically, I think if he were to clarify the emotion a bit of (as well as to lengthen out) the "jazz rambling" portion (to about two and a half times) to eventually resolve it in a hybrid triumph (crossing jazz with the traditional genre), I believe he would come to realize the full measure of what he intends to express.

He can approach this incrementally, say, through a well-anticipated arrangement to follow (Arrangement No. 3), release date: 2016.

Create it as if it has always existed.

Latest posts

Back