• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

First Test for "Small Ball"

Skippy

The ISU men open their exhibition season on Friday night against Montana Tech, and it should be a great opportunity to test out Bill Evans' new "small ball," fast-paced approach. The Ore Diggers have won their first four games of the year by an average score of 97-80, so they should be willing accomplices to Evans' desire to get up and down the floor more quickly this season.

I went to practice a couple of weeks ago, and I can tell you Bill's desire to run is no idle threat. They ran a ton of drills designed to get the ball up the floor quickly, and then scrimmaged, pushing the ball on every possession. So we should see plenty of offense vs. the Ore Diggers Friday night.

Montana Tech is led by 5-9 guard Jalen Coates from Sacramento, who is averaging 22 points a game, hitting 67 percent from the floor and 60 percent (9 of 15) from three-point range. 6-7 Paul Engstrom is averaging 17 points and 10 rebounds a game.

As a team, Tech is shooting 50 percent from the field, 41 percent from 3, is plus 12 in rebounding, and plus 3.5 in turnover margin. The Ore Diggers swept two-game series against Concordia University of Edmonton, and Northwest Indian College. Not great competition, obviously, but Northwest Indian College made 10 of 16 treys against them, so that will be a standard ISU can aspire to in this game.

The Bengals are going to have to shoot well because, frankly, they are not very big and don't have much inside firepower. Ethan Telfair, who is listed at 6 foot, is probably 5-9 in reality, and Clint Nwosuh and Ali Furuq-bey, the two likely starting wings are just a shade over 6 feet. Novak Topalovic is a legitimate 7 footer and he runs the court well, but he's thin as a rail and has a long way to go from a skills perspective. In the brief sampling I had, I really like Stephen Lennox, the 6-8 freshman from New Mexico, but as Bill Evans tells us often, it's hard for true freshmen to come in and make an impact immediately.

It's always fun to get the basketball season rolling, hope you all come out to Reed Friday night to see the debut of "small ball." Should be a fun one.

I will be listening and watching all year.

I am very worried about the lack of size and the inability to recruit more front line players. If they are going hoist a ton of threes, they better shoot it at an above average clip, defend the three better than most and hit free throws. If this team gets in half court game I can see them stalling out and really struggling. Nobody inside scares anyone.

Stranger things have happened and teams have turned around quickly. I just haven't see it at ISU very often if ever.

Madison Guernsey of the Idaho State Journal has been doing a nice job of tweeting some basketball info this week...

https://twitter.com/MGuernsey_ISJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SLCBengal said:
Madison Guernsey of the Idaho State Journal has been doing a nice job of tweeting some basketball info this week...

https://twitter.com/MGuernsey_ISJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Injury bug has hit already.

Skippy said:
SLCBengal said:

Injury bug has hit already.

Season ending or short-lived? We can only hope all will be well for the player involved.

The Bengals looked good tonight! Yes, against a lesser opponent, but shot pretty good nontheless. 51% from the field, and 50% from the arch! Luzcando was 2-2, Nwosuh was 4-6, and Chivichyan was 5-6 from the 3. They had 16 3's tonight!
Ethan Telfair was amazing! He is a very quick, in control guard that sees the floor very well. I would like to propose his nick name become E.T. Cheering at the game yelling Ethan seemed wierd, and Telfair doesn't roll off the tongue. Plus he was out of this world. :rofl:
Bengal basketball will be better this year. MAYBE a .500 team.....
As far as all those injuries, Ben Wilson and Even Hall were the only two not playing tonight that I noticed.
AND.... they scores 103. :thumb:
Oh, and Troy, #32 Justin Smith looked pretty strong inside with his 9 points. He can rebound and score. It'll be interesting to see him against the bigger competition. Kyle Ingram was right there with him on the inside too.

Fun to watch this first exhibition game tonight. Quickness? Check. Better shooters? Check. Better ball handling and decision making at the Point? Check. More hustling after loose balls? Check. I was thinking about all the pre-season polls annointing ISU as a solid choice for 12th place in a 12-team conference. I know this is only one game with a lower division opponent, but I left the gym with more hope for the coming season. Stay tuned for a better year.

It was fun to watch the game online tonight. Saw some really nice things. Let's see how the next exhibition and first few games of the season go. If ISU can hit 8 or more threes a game some nice things might happen. The big screen can't score yet in my opinion but they do have very soft hands. I did not see very many it any interior passes that were fumbled. I would agree, it looks like Smith benefited from the year off. Looks like Lennox may have a bright future too. Not sure of the 7 footer yet but man he can run and appears to be able to catch the entry.

Latest posts

Back