• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Football Attendance & Funding Ideas...

spazdog1

It's the off season and what better time is there to have the annual discussion on improving home football attendance.

Apparently the schedule is still being finalized, but what... 5 or 6 home games? How can the Bengals achieve at least one sell out next season? Any ideas?

I'll throw this in the ring... How about a "Throw Back" game? Okay, throw back games are nothing new. But take it to a new level. Have the AD pick up some 1981 helmets and jerseys and have the Bengals play the game in them. But, price the tickets and concessions to the 1981 levels. Bring back some of the alumni... Hoge, Machurek, Kragthorpe. Challenge the students to wear their best 1980's style clothes. Think of it... saddleback or Hash pants. Convince the radio and/or the television channels to sponsor some "mock" 1981 championship T-shirts to sell or even give to the students. It may be good for a homecoming game, but make it a warm up to homecoming. Have the foundation research the whereabouts of previous donors that don't participate any longer. Get them involved. Go after the city council, county commissioners and anyone in public office and make sure that they offer their support. Finally, put together a multi-sponsored tailgate party, complete with $1.00 hotdogs and $1.00 drinks. Radio stations can have their booths playing music and broadcasting live. Find a portable mechanical bull and set the setting way down low. Jump houses for the kids. Setup portable goal posts and challenge attendees to kick a 20 yard field goal. Stuff like that. Make it an event. Heck, make it an annual event. To cap it all off, bring in your potential recruits.

Any other ideas?

spazdog1 said:
Bring back some of the alumni... Hoge, Machurek, Kragthorpe. Challenge the students to wear their best 1980's style clothes.

good idea,I think that your idea is the type of thing that the university needs to pursue. Let's make ISU games an event. Not to knitpick (but I am) :D Merril Hoge was playing for Highland High School in 1981.

i love the idea. i really do. just one tiny tiny tiny negative thing though...if we have zero or one win by this game, it will FLOP.

Just an FYI (and I like this idea by the way) but when Montana wore their throwback jerseys against Montana State this year, they had a couple of boosters donate the money for them. I fear this would need substantial volunteer work...again, I like the idea. I'm not ashamed to at least bring it up.

ISUSID

When I mentioned Hoge, Machurek & Kragthorpe, I wasn't meaning to imply that they were playing (or in Kragthorpe's case, coaching) for ISU in 1981. They are names that are recognized by even casual Bengal fans. Name recognition. That's what I meant.

If the game ends up being a loss... make the overall event stand on its own, then it will not be a flop. But that doesn't mean that the throwback game should be scheduled against the toughest opponent. By the way for all you marketing guys/gals, ticket the event, even if it's free. Code the tickets by zipcode or county or in some other fashion so the admins can see where their market is stronger or weaker (glass half full or half empty). Go all out on the pre-game tailgate. Try to get a waiver from the state board of education and allow limited beer sales for starters. For example, besides the obvious vendors, get Portneuf Valley Brewing to sell some of their beer. Don't forget Coke. Get Buddy's to sell pizza by the slice or individual containers of their world famous salad. Charge vendors a nominal fee and then let them sell their stuff. Make it carnival-like, kid friendly. Corndogs are a must. Look at the vendors at the fair. Oh yes, make the throwback game ticket a coupon for discounted general admission ticket to another game later in the season.

Finally, it will take some coordination with the community and alot of volunteer work. The coaching staff, the team and admin should sell it to the community. The idea is to gimmick the community into attending the game to regenerate interest into ISU football.

spazdog1 said:
When I mentioned Hoge, Machurek & Kragthorpe, I wasn't meaning to imply that they were playing (or in Kragthorpe's case, coaching) for ISU in 1981. They are names that are recognized by even casual Bengal fans. Name recognition. That's what I meant.

Spazdog, I got it. And great idea, make it a 1980s throwback day. Not so sure about selling individual container's of Buddy's salad, can you imagine the bad breathes with 11,000-12,000 people?

Latest posts

Back