• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Football Poster Schedules

spazdog1

There are just over 2 weeks before the Bengals' 2009 season kicks off. With the start of the season so near, I figured I'd stop by and pick up a couple of those slick poster schedules and some pocket fall sports schedules for display and distribution at my Pocatello office. Once again, they aren't available yet. It was the same story last year. When I inquired with the admin office at Holt when they'd be available, I got a lethargic "I don't know." That's it. Nothing else. I stopped by the women's basketball office and spoke with one of the coaches. He got in touch with someone about the posters. It seems that they were proofed just last week and the date of delivery is unknown. How does the athletic department expect the community to get behind this program when it seems that the athletic department displays this lack of enthusiasm?

Oh, I'll be back in Pocatello in a couple of weeks or so. Hopefully, before the season starts. Maybe they'll be available by then and if so, I'll have them in my lobby and in the windows. I just think that the first of August typically is the time that the football frenzy picks up. They should be available and ready for distribution.

Spaz, here is something to stare at until the posters arrive. Not sure if this is it, but it is the thought that counts ;)

FootballPoster.jpg

That's awesome!

I don't want to be negative, that's the last thing that this program needs. But a couple of these should already be in my lobby and windows! That's the point that I'm trying to make.

BTW...It would be nice if players & coaches scour the area, stopping by the post offices, stores and other businesses to meet & greet the public while they hand out the posters.

I couldn't help but notice that the helmets on the poster don't have decals. Are they going without this year? Does this have anything to do with the budget?

Decals and striping are usually put on a week or two prior to the first game. From what I understand, the Bengals got new brain-buckets this year and MAYBE new uniforms as well.

so our 1 & 11 football team is limited to 20 hours of football time and its a good idea to have the coaches and team fan out across town to meet and greet and pass out posters...? maybe they should stick to practice and classes.... jmho

Here's what's funny...I saw these all over the office today, so I'm not sure what time you came by, but they are here...in the administration office and in the marketing office. And we will have helmet stripes and logos like last year...I actually thought they were going to be put on the poster post production, but what do I know?

ISUSID

spazdog1 said:
BTW...It would be nice if players & coaches scour the area, stopping by the post offices, stores and other businesses to meet & greet the public while they hand out the posters.

BINGO with a BIG B-I-N-G-O!!!!!!! That is exactly what they need to do and there is still time. Don't you think if they (coaches and players) went into businesses or the mall or even schools next week and handed out posters (with their jersey's on) how many more people would go to the games? That is how you get more folks butts into seats. If they don't do it i will be very dissapointed.

Sparty, why don't you think our 1-11 team should do this? They have practiced and went to school in the past without doing it with the same results? Why not trying it this year and get out of the funky past? Believe me, it would be a shot in the arm for this community, I promise you that!

Just like that article today. Great read. I bet some of those kids they talked to have never been to a game before but because of what they did they will be at the games.

ISUSID... I was at Holt yesterday at about 3:00p. The ramp was closed so I could not get to the room midway down the ramp. So I proceeded to the football office where someone advised me to go to the admin office. That's where I got the "I don't know." I saw one of my niece's former teammates, so I stepped into the basketball office and shot the breeze for a few minutes. Jordan was kind enough to call someone, I don't know who. He told me that the proofs had just been approved and it was unknown when the posters would be available. Hey, I don't mean to get anyone in trouble. I'm just looking for some posters to show our support. I would think that they would be available earlier.

Spartan... no disrespect, but classes haven't started yet, have they? Team bonding is essential, in my view. Since classes haven't started and there's some free time, why not do something constructive with your team, coaches and admin and tour the area, shake hands, pat a few backs and try to garner some more support? Like you say, the team has a limit on practice time.

I guess I'm just trying to figure it out. I would think that the staff would be falling out of their chairs trying to plug the team but they just don't, in my opinion anyway.

Several have noted the Journal's article in today's paper. Unfortunately, I live in Meridian and only have access to the internet version. There was no mention of any player community event on the web version, at least that I could find. Can anyone let fill me in on the article?

the team is limited to 20 hours of football related activity. i think a better use of their time is practice and study . doesn't the athletic department have a number of people on salary to take care of that stuff? i don't think its a good idea to keep tossing more on the backs of these young guys... they have enough to deal with already.

Spartan... fair enough. I would submit that the ideal situation is putting the team out in the community passing out schedules. I still think that it would be more effective. But, at least get someone from the athletic department to go out and show the community that the Bengals need and want them.

There's ways to get it done, but I wouldn't say these guys have tons of down time. I was in the athletic administration office that afternoon and there was a package of them there. The ramp being closed to paint it is something I have an issue with by the way...poor, poor timing.

I'll find out KaLee's distribution plan for you though.

ISUSID

Well they need to add one more thing to their busy schedule. Get out into the public and pass out posters and let the community know who they are and when they will be playing. People don't go to games to watch the Athletic Dept. They go to games to watch the guy who gave them the poster and asked them to come watch. They build the fan base up that way. They break down barriers and walls that have been up with a good number of people here in town. Please listen to me. It will help out in ways you wouldn't expect. It is a simple task and one that would bring enormous dividends. Spazdog has got it figured out and he doesn't even live in Pocatello.

I agree with Spaz and Roar--once the community gets to meet these fine kids, they will bond with them and want to follow them in person.

When I took the time to do the interviews with the incoming recruiting class, I got to know a few of them very well. I can't wait to watch them and meet them in person. Putting faces to names and shaking the hands of these young men will help with community support, period.

bengalcub said:
I agree with Spaz and Roar--once the community gets to meet these fine kids, they will bond with them and want to follow them in person.

When I took the time to do the interviews with the incoming recruiting class, I got to know a few of them very well. I can't wait to watch them and meet them in person. Putting faces to names and shaking the hands of these young men will help with community support, period.

Amen, brother! Because of the interviews that Cub did, I too was really interested in these players and want them to succeed. It is another dimension of fanship. Thanks Frank for putting it on the agenda!

Latest posts

Back