• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Football practice Thoughts...

PBP

I thought this would be a good place for everyone to post their observations and so forth.

Was at today's first one. Seemed very spirited. It looked like Jenkins and Manu couldn't wait to get back out there. Quarterbacks were sharp. They did seem to have one major problem...the shoes.

Don't know why but guys kept throwing shoes left and right, receivers seemed to have a lot of trouble with them. They'd make a cut and a shoe would go flying off. Sometimes both shoes! Some guys were getting frustrated.

And it didn't happen once or twice, I'm talking multiple guys, multiple times. Guys kept changing them out.

Shoes appeared to be low-cut, shiny black material. Have never seen this happen as often at a practice before.

Also the new video board is in place and it was going through some equipment checks. The picture it displayed seemed very good, certainly a major upgrade.

PBP

No tackling yet. Here is the schedule of open practices for the public:

August 10- 3 p.m. (open practice)
August 11- 3 p.m. (open practice)
August 12 9 a.m. (open practice)
August 13- 9 a.m. (open practice)
August 14- 9 a.m. (open practice)
August 20- 9 a.m. Scrimmage open
August 27- 3 p.m. Scrimmage open

PBP

A big day indeed, let just hope there are no further injuries to our players. OL is suffering right now and a few others. Let's hope they make some great plays and stay healthy through practice and scrimmages while we root for the entire team as a whole.

Reborn2010 said:
No more practices until the scrimmage Saturday. That will be a BIG DAY.

No they are practicing just about every day. That was simply the revised schedule for OPEN practices, meaning anybody can come watch. Closed practices are just what they imply, no visitors.

I'll be at the end of Tuesday's practice doing interviews with Jenkins and Manu for a story for the Times-News.

PBP

Tacoma5 said:
A big day indeed, let just hope there are no further injuries to our players. OL is suffering right now and a few others. Let's hope they make some great plays and stay healthy through practice and scrimmages while we root for the entire team as a whole.

Offensive line is a concern. New guys having to take the place of some graduated vets AND injuries already taking place. Not a good situation.

That may be part of the reason Mike has changed the offensive philosophy a little bit this year. Inexperienced guys can run block easier than have to pass block. Plus he figures to have depth at running back and may feel he can finally get in a situation where in the fourth quarter if he has a lead, he can run the ball and chew up the clock.

PBP

PBP said:
Reborn2010 said:

No they are practicing just about every day. That was simply the revised schedule for OPEN practices, meaning anybody can come watch. Closed practices are just what they imply, no visitors.

I'll be at the end of Tuesday's practice doing interviews with Jenkins and Manu for a story for the Times-News.

PBP

Thanks for the clarification. That makes alot of sense. I'll be looking forward to your article. Thanks!

up for the challenge said:
Why is our OL always hurt? Biggest strongest guys on the team.

Honestly, I don't believe that it's because they work harder, or get hit more. But they are the biggest players out there on the field. It has to be much harder for them to get into shape. I mean perfect shape. I think the running backs take the most abuse on a field, and maybe next I'd say line-backers. Can you imagine line backers having to fight off 300 lb linemen on every play? All players are at risk in football because it's a very violent sport. It is the closest thing to war that we have in a civilized world. The most they all can do is to get into the best shape possible, and that means lots of real hard work. Not only in the weight room but must include running.

I would say the OL has the most contact during a game because they are always the first to hit and push DL and LB on every offensive play to open holes for the RB and protect the QB on pass plays. It just seems like we are always having injury issues with our OL whether it is during Spring Ball, Fall Ball, or during the season. If we have OL starters out for games our running game and passing game will not do so well just like last season.

up for the challenge said:
I would say the OL has the most contact during a game because they are always the first to hit and push DL and LB on every offensive play to open holes for the RB and protect the QB on pass plays. It just seems like we are always having injury issues with our OL whether it is during Spring Ball, Fall Ball, or during the season. If we have OL starters out for games our running game and passing game will not do so well just like last season.

Every team has OL....do we get hurt or injured more than them? Is it really because our OL have it tougher than other teams? I know OL get injured or hurt, all teams do. The key is to have good back up players. I do not feel sorry for our OL.....or our team if it is true that our OL is always hurt more than other teams. I'm not someone who looks for excuses. Get in shape. You will never convince me OL have it worse than running backs who get hit by up to 8-10 players at times....I was a running back, and I know. I hope our OL are dishing it out MORE than being on the recieving end of all the blows.

OL has a lot of pressure on their knees containing DL and LB.. That is why they wear knee braces to take pressure off their knees. I do not think the OL are reporting to camp out of shape as they all know they will be running and will be having contact drills. I think it has to do with soreness on their knees and shoulders banging around out there.

PBP said:
Reborn2010 said:

PBP

I've been looking to hear something from you about the practices. You had an interview for an article you will write, but can you share something here about how things are going. I, and others, feel completely in the dark here about how things are going.....

Reborn2010 said:
PBP said:
Reborn2010 said:

PBP

I've been looking to hear something from you about the practices. You had an interview for an article you will write, but can you share something here about how things are going. I, and others, feel completely in the dark here about how things are going.....

I follow the same guidelines as anybody else meaning that I can't just walk into a closed practice. They are closed for a reason and I have to respect that.

I requested an interview after Tuesday's closed practice to talk with Mario and Taison probably the heart and soul of the defense, who were lost to season ending injuries before the first game last year.

Both looked to be in excellent shape. Jenkins is chiseled like he's made of marble. Manu looks bigger in the upper body and shoulders. Both say they are healthy. Both were miserable missing last season and both were ecstatic about getting back on to the practice fields.

Here is the link to the story at the Times-News' web site:

http://magicvalley.com/sports/high-school/bengals-hope-to-bust-injury-blues/article_42ec9f47-92dc-5a67-bdc9-4ff23f39a8a0.html

PBP

PBP said:
Reborn2010 said:
PBP said:
Reborn2010 said:

PBP

I follow the same guidelines as anybody else meaning that I can't just walk into a closed practice. They are closed for a reason and I have to respect that.

I requested an interview after Tuesday's closed practice to talk with Mario and Taison probably the heart and soul of the defense, who were lost to season ending injuries before the first game last year.

Both looked to be in excellent shape. Jenkins is chiseled like he's made of marble. Manu looks bigger in the upper body and shoulders. Both say they are healthy. Both were miserable missing last season and both were ecstatic about getting back on to the practice fields.

Here is the link to the story at the Times-News' web site:

http://magicvalley.com/sports/high-school/bengals-hope-to-bust-injury-blues/article_42ec9f47-92dc-5a67-bdc9-4ff23f39a8a0.html

PBP

Thanks. Very good article. I can hardly wait to see how they do this year.

Go Bengals

I have a good report from todays practice. This is a quote from a player regarding this mornings practice 8-19-16 = "Today was so intense! There was a huge brawl between the offense and the defense, ahah, it was awesome!" I don't know about anybody else but I think this is a good thing. "Fights" (loose term of the word) between the offense vs defense at practice are a good thing sometimes. today marks the 10th practice of fall camp the guys have been practicing for a week and a half and they are probabaly hot and exhausted and ORNERY, and this is pretty typical sometimes. I would even venture to guess the coaching staff was happy on some level to see it (as long as no player was stupid or wreckless or dangerous and cheap). Good sign in my book. Scrimmage tomorrow ought to be INTENSE!!!!!

Yeah...the scrimmage is going to be very good, and that's good news. My take on this, is that it's very competitive this year. I think the underclassman are pretty good, and we know the freshman class is good too. I think players are having to really fight for playing time and that's healthy. And like you say Demian, as long as players don't get hurt. I'm glad to see that we have some pretty tough guys on the team, but it's important for them to come together after a tough practice like this....make up and remember that the unity on the team is most important. The thing I like about the quote from the player is that he felt that the fight was awesome; so from HIS point of view the intensity on the field is a good thing for the team. Go Bengals!!!

Latest posts

Back