• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Football Schedule

skippy57.0

Open with Montana Tech, ASU, possible buyout of N. Dakota and/or Cal Poly, six home games for now:

http://www.pocatelloshops.com/new_blogs/sports/?p=4394

As expected, ISU bought out the North Dakota game next season. From the Grand Forks Herald:

The search is on

UND is looking for a new Potato Bowl opponent.

Idaho State has pulled the plug on the back end of its home-and-home agreement with UND to play in Grand Forks on Sept. 12.

Talked to UND athletic director Brian Faison today and he said the search is on for a replacement. However, finding a Division I FCS opponent won't be easy, he said.

Idaho State exercised the $25,000 buy-out clause in its contract with UND.

In future UND football contracts, Faison said buy-out clauses will be a lot higher than $25,000. The contract with Idaho State, by the way, was approved by the previous UND athletic department administration.

Idaho State paid the buy out and apparently scheduled NAIA Montana Tech to give its struggling football program another home game, one that should be a win.

As it stands, UND has nine games for 2009 - three at home.

Cal Poly has the buy-out game figured out. The California school has had difficulties in scheduling Division I FCS games for a number of years. So, when the school does land home-and-home or multi-year contracts with D1 FCS schools, Cal Poly demands a $150,000 buy-out clause. Idaho State and Cal Poly will play in 2009, and the contract between the schools includes a $150,000 buy-out clause.

There is no way Idaho State would have bought out UND at $150,000.

Idaho State would have been a natural for the Potato Bowl. Maybe the game will happen in 2010 if the Bengals have a decent 2009. Last year, Idaho State was 1-11. As it stands, Idaho State will play six home games next season, five on the road - including one at Arizona State. Idaho State will be guaranteed $400,000 to play the PAC-10 school.

Well as much as I lik UND as an opponent, I can't help but to know this is an economic decision more than anything else.
Very expensive to take the entire team to North Dakota.
And yes, UND incurred the expense when they came out here this past season.
However, they were "playing up"(even though the score didn't indicate it)
I hope they schedule them in 2010 or beyond.
UND is a good program.

Now scheduling Montana Tech, I don't like that choice.
They aren't good enough.
I understand the need for an extra home game and a "win".
But, I would have went for a D2 team like Western Oregon, Eastern Oregon, even taking a chance on Central Washington before Montana Tech. Even a team from the RMAC with some Colorado school.

Montana Tech has a nice website, notice that last year that played most teams twice in the same season.

http://www.godiggers.com/football/index.htm

WSU schedule:

Sep 5: @ Wyoming
Sep 12: @ Colorado State
Sep 19: ISU
Sep 26: @ PSU
Oct 3: MSU
Oct 10: @ EWU
Oct 17: SAC
Oct 24: @ UNC
Oct 31: @ UM
Nov 7: OPEN
Nov 14: NAU
Nov 21: OPEN

Playing ISU in September??? I hope this is wrong...

Also, 2 FBS sucks...one game left to schedule...likely MT Tech, Mullet College, or Western State.

OKLAHOMA?! Wow, with that game, we wouldn't have to worry about money for awhile! Not to mention our boys would be getting exposure to REAL fans (forget ASU or any PAC-10 school...nothing in the west compares to the Midwest, Texas, and the South).

bengalbeliever said:
Well as much as I lik UND as an opponent, I can't help but to know this is an economic decision more than anything else.
UND is a good program.

They aren't good enough.
But, I would have went for a D2 team like Western Oregon, Eastern Oregon, even taking a chance on Central Washington before Montana Tech. Even a team from the RMAC with some Colorado school.

I was very disappointed to learn that ISU bought out the game at North Dakota. However, as you say, it was probably purely an economic decision. I can't hardly blame anyone other than the administration at North Dakota for agreeing to such a low buyout clause. I hope the two teams can get together in the future and play semi-regularily.

Regarding Weber's schedule, I have heard that they are trying to get the game with the Bengals moved to a later date in the season, probably November 7 or 21 I assume, so that they can add a home game in September. North Dakota was originally scheduled to play them in Grand Forks next season on Nov 7., but they also backed out of that.

It sucks trying to schedule 7 non-conference games. We've had 3 tentative home games for next season fall through: Idaho St., Weber St., and Iona who dropped football.

bincitysioux said:
bengalbeliever said:
UND is a good program.

They aren't good enough.

I was very disappointed to learn that ISU bought out the game at North Dakota. However, as you say, it was probably purely an economic decision. I can't hardly blame anyone other than the administration at North Dakota for agreeing to such a low buyout clause. I hope the two teams can get together in the future and play semi-regularily.

Regarding Weber's schedule, I have heard that they are trying to get the game with the Bengals moved to a later date in the season, probably November 7 or 21 I assume, so that they can add a home game in September. North Dakota was originally scheduled to play them in Grand Forks next season on Nov 7., but they also backed out of that.

It sucks trying to schedule 7 non-conference games. We've had 3 tentative home games for next season fall through: Idaho St., Weber St., and Iona who dropped football.

Sucks for ND but good to know WSU n ISU could end up playing in Nov instead of the first conf game.

I learned tonight from a very reliable source that, we are, indeed playing the Univ. of GAY (Oklahoma) next year... We should make a cool million on our two FBS games...

So the #1 FBS scoring offense (#3 total offense, with the returning Heisman winner) will take on ISU, which ranked last in the FCS for total defense (and second to last place in scoring defense)? Should be a fun game to watch for someone... :roll:

So, does this signal a five game home schedule.

I can see all the name recognition that Idaho State will get when they give up close to 1,000 yards and 80+ points to Oklahoma. Bengal fans are going to come out it drones to see a team that gets decked by the Sooners and the Sun Devils.

I am not against playing one of these games, but two of them is totally recockulous.

I have been a fan for 30+ years of Idaho State sports and I cannot ever remember being less excited for the football team to hit the field. If I, the lifetime stroker of the Idaho State staff feels that way...I can guarendamntee that others have waved bye-bye and are jumping off the cliff head first.

bengalcub said:
...I can guarendamntee that others have waved bye-bye and are jumping off the cliff head first.

In that case...CANNONBALL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Naw, it's all good. Personally, I'd love to make that trip. Unfortunately, rugby might get in my way for a few of those games

Hey, let's try to get behind this team and be positive.....This is a new team with some very talented young players!!!!! GO BIG ORANGE!!!!! BEAT OKLAHOMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All we really have to do is play defense. Big12 teams apparently forgot how to do this since the run and gun teams began taking over. Remember the wonderful days of Nebraska's ungodly defenses? Yeah, they're gone, prolly never to return (I hope they do. I hate football games that go into the 50's).

Still, even I'm not sure about this. Like I said, the team will have fun playing in a stadium where the people really care, unlike anybody in the PAC-10/Mountain West/WAC...sorry, the West doesn't compare in terms of fanbase and team lovin'.

cubbette you are not a true bengal fan for not having any hope, and for complaining about the two big paydays. I will cheer on the bengals even if they never win. GO ISU!

I am not a true Bengal fan? Hmmm---really? If I wanted your opinion, I would give it to you. Any single cell in my body represents more of a Bengal fan than you could muster if you lived for all of eternity.

I don't think two games like this help the teams confidence or the communities confidence in the program.

Latest posts

Back