• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Football Talk

lagneb

We need to start talking football--our season starts in about 30 days so we need to pick up the football chatter 1000%.

Does anyone have the details on the recent roster additions;

are they walk-ons or on scholarship; and

do we have weight, height, and position details for these men?

How does our men look after summer conditioning?

Did we lose any players due to summer school grades?

Most Big Sky fans have ranked the Bengals, our QB, and RB as 7th or 8th in the conference; does anyone believe that?

I think you are right about that lag.
I do know we have added a 'scholly' JC kicker with a big foot and pretty accurate-Jarret Huk.
By my estimates he is about 6'2" and right at 200lbs. ???
Can kickoff deeeeeeep into endzone on consistent basis.

I also know that our guys have changed their off season workout routine a little to help prevent against early season 'burnout'. By that I mean not so much concentration on 'heavy lifting' exercises but with more emphasis on 'stamina' type preparation and 'quicks' for the long haul season. Remember we have 12 games this year!!!
I think staff may have noticed some early/midseason burnout with a few players and have altered the conditioning program a bit.
So important to have fresh bodies come start of season and for duration.
I think this should also help prevent against a few injuries as well.
I have seen many of them during workouts and they have looked to me to be very focused and also a pretty 'tight' group.
I like it.
They have been very religous in their own 7on7/skelly workouts.

And I certainly don't BELIEVE this team to be a bottom-half feeder this year in the Sky.
I have said it before, the bar has been raised.
It will be nice just to have our own expectations to have to fulfill and not worry about others now won't it!!??

Huk is 6-1/176. He hit 4-10 FG's and kicked off 55 times with 5 touchbacks at Chabot CC in 2007. He was 3-6 on FG's shorter than 40 yards and was 1-4 on FG's over 40 with a long of 40 yards. He was also 33-40 on PAT's.

I have a feeling that ISU will struggle with FG's this season--even with the addition.

Believer, I read that Huk's average yard per kick is 60.96 yards--not bad.

I hope everyone we play believes we are a bottom Big Sky team--they could be in for a long afternoon. I don't know what our win/loss record will be but it will not be 7th or 8th in the league. We have to much fire power on the OL and great strength at LB and DB positions to go that low.

I think that was pretty good on the measurements considering I have met him only once.
I would say he has put on 20 lbs and grown an inch since that roster was put together about a year ago.

When I was watching him at the Holt, he was more accurate than 40%.
He was also banging them thru from 45 with at least 10 yds. to spare.
We all know that game time results are much different however, but I like the kid.
He has the confidence and that means a bit with those kickers.

Good news...stats don't show if his attempts were blocked. So maybe--that skewed the stats. Also, if my math is correct---his average kick was handled at around the 10 yard line. By contrast he is only 1-3 yards shorter per kick that Zeidman and Jones from last season and 8 touch backs less than Zeidman.

Lagneb:

Beings you have a first hand look at the players, I am curious what you think about the D-Line this year...I hear a lot of hype about all the other positions. From what i am hearing we have a hugh improvment from last year. But i guess the jury is still out on that one.

" Be The Best"

I'll have all the heights and weights of the new guys when camp opens on the 4th....I will say this...Jarret is a good name for an ISU kicker if you think back to 2005...

ISUSID

D.M., I don't have first hand knowledge of our D Line; that is my problem too. We probably won't have a good assessement of the D Line until we play a couple games and that makes me nervious.

Lagneb,

What do you think ablut Milbourn and Clowards..A lot of hype about these two from the coaches. I hear Milbourn is starting as a fresman..

"BeThe Best"

Our four top DL are Cloward, Milbourn, Jon Tuua, and Amos with Livesay and Jones pushing... We'll be able to do much more this year,will play some in a 3-4 and we'll be able to keep guys fresh. I don't think there are any superstars, but we will be markedly better than last year on the DL. Our LB and secondary play will be pretty stout as well... I'm calling a 7-5 or 6-6 season due to the hard road schedule...

I'll be honest, I don't think there is a front four right now....I think the DL is the biggest part of camp....it's what I'm paying attention to more than anything. I'm focusing on...

Defensive Line
Offensive Line (got a lot of guys for five slots)
Kicker/Snapper
Defensive Backs
Third Linebacker spot
Running Back

Also, everyone talks of the linebackers being the strength (which is accurate), but remember too that Coach Z is coaching that position this year, so it should really be solid.

ISUSID

I don't think Coach Z is coaching the LB's. Isn't Junior?
And, have you guys really sprint most of the conversation for this post talking about a Kicker? Really? :shock:

Bengaleyes,

One of the things I'm privy to as the SID is I do get to know which position Zamberlin is coaching this year LOL....Christoff is with Boise State as a graduate assistant.

ISUSID

ISUSID,

I'm looking for your info quite FRANKly.
Is Junior now a full-time coach? If so, what position is he coaching then. Also, Christoff dropped a full-time position at ISU to go to Boise as a G.A. in the video department. Weird isn't it.

Junior is helping with the defensive line with coach Strandley, and a G.A., Johnny Hunn, is helping Zamberlin with the linebackers. While it seems odd to go from position coach to G.A. for Video at Boise State, it does get his foot in the door there, and if any defensive position were to open up, it would probably mean Christoff stepping in, and seeing as how some of the BSU assistants make more than almost every athletic department member here, I can see why he would make the switch.

Quite FRANKly...that was funny by the way. I liked it.

ISUSID

Latest posts

Back