• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Future of FCS Football? Good analysis

Skippy

Here are a couple of interesting articles that look at the present and future of FCS football:

http://www.vindy.com/news/2013/apr/14/fcs-mess/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4579842" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For all of the old timers here, you don't have to look very far to find three levels of success in the FBS from former Big Sky teams.

Take the Broncos from Boise State... the Broncos had corporate support and a high level of success in the BSC. They were almost always competitve in the BSC. My first thought of their move to the Big West Conference was that they would be irrelevant and would lose support. I thought that each year their ability to play for a national championship at the D1AA level would trump a mediocre season as a D1A. After a season or two, I changed my mind. They struggled initially but they haven't looked back. See where they are now... big budget and national exposure and performance on the field makes them one of the most recognizable and polarizing teams in the country.

Next, look at Nevada. They bolted years before BSU and were successful in the Big West, WAC and somewhat successful in their inaugural season in the Mountain West. But, their fan support has only been so so. Nevada has an excellent record at home but yet those games where the opponent is not Boise State are not well attended... half empty stadium in some games. It seems that Nevada's national exposure is the result of being the thorn in the side of BSU, not their overall success. Has Nevada's chasing the FBS (at the time D1A) been a positive thing for Nevada? Marginal in my mind.

Then there's Idaho. A drowning program that was thrown a life raft by the Sun Belt. Their move from the Big Sky was a move made in an attempt to keep up with the Joneses (BSU). Their success has been completely opposite than the Joneses' success. Some would say that Idaho's facilities are not at Big Sky levels yet they march forward in FBS. With more starting guards on their basketball team than their average number of football wins against FBS teams is nothing to make their case to stay FBS. I just don't get it.

One final example is Marshall. As a relevant D1AA team with hopes of making some noise with their moving up has become almost anonymous in the FBS. My point here is that a move by a FCS team to become a FBS team is a risky one to say the least. All of this said, I believe there's a market for FCS as a whole on television. The segment has to be identified and exploited to make FCS more profitable. And profit is one of driving factors that pushes teams to move to FBS.

Good analysis, Spaz, the history of "move-ups" has definitely been all over the map. I think one of the issues with Idaho is the view that, "you can never get them to come home once they've left the farm." Who wants to be the program that is the first to reverse course and move back down? Another element of the Idaho situation is that the Big Sky they left bears very little resemblance to the Big Sky today -- with BSU and Nevada having been replaced by the likes of Sacramento State and Northern Colorado. Idaho fans have said repeatedly on their message boards they'd rather give up football altogether than go back to playing Big Sky schools on a regular basis. I think a lot of Idaho fans wished they'd never moved up in the first place, BUT they are not interested in moving back down -- especially since FCS football is not in the greatest shape right now.

Of course, here in Pocatello we have our own issues to worry about. We have to get our two marque programs -- football and men's basketball -- healthy and generating revenue again. Right now the ISU athletic department is living on guarantee games, state money and student fees. The "big two" have to start winning games and selling tickets again. Long-term, we as a community are going to have to come to terms with the fact that Holt Arena is 43 years old and is in need of major remodelling/restructuring, and identify funding strategies that are realistic. Holt is a student-owned facility that has evolved into a major community asset -- and also happens to be the "center" of the athletic department. All three entities -- students, community and athletic department -- are going to have to be involved in addressing the long-term viability of the facility. So while there is an element of "misery loves company" as we all take some perverse pleasure in the University of Idaho's struggles in moving up, there is a lot of work to do to get our own house in order.

Link courtesy of former Bengal voice Russ Eisenstein:

http://tribstar.com/sports/x1520509571/ISU-MVFC-brace-for-change-at-FCS-football-level" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a tidbit regarding FCS vs. FBS average revenue & expense...

From KTVB, Boise's NBC affiliate, the Scott Slant...

"... Part of the reason for the demise of WAC football was the conference’s inability to talk schools like Montana into moving from the division formerly known as I-AA to I-A. The NCAA’s 2012 Revenue and Expenses Report released this week shows the Grizzlies must have some astute numbers guys. Athletic spending at FBS schools last year rose by 10.8 percent, but revenue climbed by only 4.6 percent. Net loss. FCS institutions fared a lot better, increasing expenses 6.8 percent while jumping revenue by 9 percent. Net gain. When you consider how much money goes into the coffers when Montana sells out a home game with 25,000 fans, the status quo in Missoula is a no-brainer. The Griz have been the Big Sky attendance leaders every season since Boise State left the conference 17 years ago."

Here's the link...

http://www.ktvb.com/community/blogs/scott-slant/Steelies-have-nothin-on-Stockton-205958661.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back