• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Gotta Stop Dinking Around, OUS

BroadwayVik

Which Oregon university FITS BEST in the big sky conference? Believe it or not, the future Central Oregon University (OSU-Cascades) does in terms of college town population. wouldn't be surprised if Central Washington University got there before them.

1. Greeley 92,889
2. Ogden 82,825
3. Bend 77,905
4. Missoula 67,290
5. Flagstaff 65,870
6. Grand Forks 52,838
7. Pocatello 54,255
8. Bozeman 37,280
9. Cedar City 28,857
10.Cheney 10,590 with influence from Spokane

Bend fits beautifully into this conference. We Portland Staters will keep their seat warm until they get their football program up and running.

osuc_campus_016_-_lores.jpg

So why do Portland State and Sacramento State persist to languish in the big sky conference? Endowment levels!! Money.!! The rankings for endowment levels go like this:

1. Montana $108M
2. North Dakota $94M
3 Montana State $85M
4. Northern Arizona $77M
5. Weber State $69M
6. Northern Colorado $66M
7. Eastern Washington $52M
8. Portland State $50M
9 Idaho State $37M
10.Sacramento $24M
11.Southern Utah $12M

So an immediate influence on Portland State's immediate affiliation fortunes have to not only with the football and basketball fortunes, but the endowment fortune as well. This is an area where Portland State and Sac State should be able to establish a significant advantage over the rest of the big sky conference schools.

big_money.jpg

We need to have a capital campaign with a goal of at least $250M. PSU-MBA's need to take the lead.
georgiastate_opanubi_olufemi.jpg

In only its third year, Atlanta's other urban univeristy, Georgia State, has accepted and invitation to go from the FCS Colonial Athletic Association to the FBS Sun Belt Conference. Get off your duff, OUS!! Stop wasting Portland State's potential!! You know as well as anyone they belong in the Mountain West Conference.

Where did you get the endowment data? Just curious.

And yes, Georgia St. is a nice model for us to follow. I'd add UTSA, as well.

Wikipedia. Hope it's accurate.

rising-graph.gif
rising-graph.png

Peer urban universities like Georgia State use the natural advantages built into a network of large city connections. Their natural advantages send them on a steeper slope of improvement, and growth is realized quickly and naturally. We would be wise to do likewise.

For example, did you realize, if only $10 a month were given to the PSU Endowment for every PSU alum out there, the University Endowment would rise by over $13 Million in the first year alone.

pile-of-money.jpg

Think about it. While some would not contribute, there would be many alums who would contribute to cover the contributions of those who would not. The monthly goal would be to cover every PSU alum with a $10 donation.

That's exactly the kind of campaign I've been suggesting for years. Alas, it seems like the PSU administration would rather sit around and wait for their Phil Knight to appear out of the sky. Getting one or two big donors is wonderful, and easier than getting lots of small donors, but it is hardly the only approach.

I encourage Torre's success here. I'm sure he'd like a promotion to a university with a lot bigger budget. I appreciate the work he's done fund-raising for the Viking Pavilion. That is a major piece of the puzzle.

thumb.php

enthusiasm.JPG

When the time comes, I might suggest we hire someone next who has serious fund-raising ability, a real promoter with genuine enthusiasm, the kind which Portland in its most somber state cannot quench. Someone who would also not be a cultural alien.

Latest posts

Back