• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Grand Canyon Game

sacstateman

You guys are killing GCU with 6 mins to play......keep it up......definitely need a win....I'm rooting for you guys all but one game this year, bet you can't guess which game I'm against you

Credit where credit is due. ISU frustrated GCU with the zone and finally started hitting some shots. Nice win on the road. Hope it gives them some confidence.

Good job, Bengals! I'll admit. I'm surprised, but pleasantly so. It's a road win against a WAC team in
double-digit fashion. Well done!

Nice win Bengals... this may be premature but ISU seems to be coming together.

However, I noticed this troubling statement from the official site regarding the game:

This is the second-straight year the Bengals have won a guarantee game. Last year ISU won at San Francisco.

Apparently, ISU is now playing guarantee games against San Francisco and Grand Canyon (just moved up from D2). :thumbdown:

biobengal said:
Nice win Bengals... this may be premature but ISU seems to be coming together.

However, I noticed this troubling statement from the official site regarding the game:

This is the second-straight year the Bengals have won a guarantee game. Last year ISU won at San Francisco.

Apparently, ISU is now playing guarantee games against San Francisco and Grand Canyon (just moved up from D2). :thumbdown:

Actually, these are the kinds of guarantee games you want to play: winnable ones! And don't poo-poo Grand Canyon, they have a very interesting business model that has distinguished them from the run-of-the-mill "mid-major," per this USA Today article:

"Grand Canyon wasn't the first for-profit university, but for-profit schools are still largely out-numbered by traditional not-for-profits. However, the new model worked wonders for the university. GCU made a commitment to building an online student base, and in 2008, it went public, though it does not pay dividends to investors. Between the beginning of 2009 and the end of 2013, GCU's after-tax income was $267.5 million, according to numbers provided by university spokesman Bob Romantic. During that same time frame, the school spent $401.8 million on capital expenditures, including classrooms, residence halls, GCU Arena, the student union and more. They plan to spend $295 million over the next two years and $400 million over the next four.

Athletics became a centerpiece for the school's second lease on life.

"We did, and unashamedly so, we utilized the athletics as an enrollment tool during those crucial times when a lot of people thought the ground campus was going to go away," athletic director Keith Baker said.

According to Baker, there was a time when roughly 30 percent of a 1,100-member on-campus student body was athletes. Now, thanks to the exposure partially created by athletics, enrollment on campus is more than 8,000. Baker said the goal is to get to 10,000 on-campus students by the fall of 2014, and 12,000 by 2015. This is due in part to GCU's low tuition rates — Mueller said the average student pays $7,800 for tuition and $6,500 for room and board."

Skippy is right. This was a good win. I live here in AZ and have been to GCU bball games. They just spent millions remodeling the bball gymnasium. They also brought in former Phoenix Suns star, Dan Marjerle, to be the head coach for the program. This is his 2nd year in that position. His reputation alone gives GCU some clout when recruiting. They are revamping the program completely. The fact that they just got moved up to D1 doesn't change the fact that this is a solid program that is putting a lot of money into their bball program. Great game for the team to win. Great shooting percentage for the night. Boys needed it and should help boost them to continue playing even better in future games.

Wow, how nice would it be to play in an arena like that?

Best in the BSC, in my opinion.

Oh, by the way.... you are all funky, thinking it is a good thing that ISU is playing two non-conf home games against D1 competition and also body bag games against San Fran and a fake school like GCU. Vommit! Brave new world, I guess. Maybe ISU should sell a few shares?

I love to see Bradley and Geno scoring and hitting 3s. This will free up Hansen and make the Bengals more competitive. GO BENGALS

biobengal said:

Oh, by the way.... you are all funky, thinking it is a good thing that ISU is playing two non-conf home games against D1 competition and also body bag games against San Fran and a fake school like GCU. Vommit! Brave new world, I guess. Maybe ISU should sell a few shares?

They're not "body bag games," Bio, if you have a chance to win. It's much better to get paid to play teams you can be competitive against rather than teams you have no prayer against. Joe O'Brien tried to improve the home schedule a few years ago when he brought in Utah, USU and BYU in the same season. He had to make a lot of 2-for-1s for that. Might be worth a try again in the future if we have a team that would be competitive on that level (we beat Utah, lost to USU and BYU that year at home), but I'm not sure you'll ever get those kinds of schools to come to Pocatello again. Every team in the Big Sky has a hard time getting D-1 schools to play them at home, and Pocatello is harder to get to than "direct flight" places like Ogden, Sacramento and Portland.

Brad:

Was it you that told me even Bozeman, BOZEMAN, Montana has four direct flights a day to SLC, Minneapolis, Boise and now Los Angeles???

BOZEMAN???

PBP

PBP said:
Brad:

Was it you that told me even Bozeman, BOZEMAN, Montana has four direct flights a day to SLC, Minneapolis, Boise and now Los Angeles???

BOZEMAN???

PBP

Yes, United flies non-stop to Denver and Chicago, Delta non-stop to Minneapolis, Salt Lake, Atlanta and LA, and Frontier non-stop to Denver out of Bozeman. They also have non-stop service to and from other major cities during the summer tourism season.

The advantage (?) Bozeman has, is that they are so far away from any type of a hub airport, which forces everyone to fly. We are 2 hours from the SLC Airport, which makes it pretty easy to just drive or ride a shuttle. The airlines love having a captive audience in Montana. My friends from there are always complaining about how expensive it is to fly anywhere -- but they really don't have any other alternative.

But I'm sure that our proximity to SLC, and the resulting lack of much air service, kills us in trying to schedule basketball and football games.

biobengal said:

Grand Canyon University is NOT in the BSC. So now what is the best in the BSC to you biobengal?? Maybe Pauley Pavilion???

Latest posts

Back