• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Great Article from the Post Register MUST READ!

bengalcub

COLUMN: ISU’s Kramer Embraces I.F. Fans

By: Mike Lycklama, Post Register

Collin Andrus’ exposed curly locks said it all.

The Idaho Falls High School senior signed his letter of intent to play football at Idaho State on Wednesday. But unlike his teammate Marcus Poling, who signed to play at Army, Andrus couldn’t don the school’s hat in the ceremonial moment.

Not that he didn’t try.

His family searched Idaho Falls for an ISU hat just for the ceremony but struck out. Idaho Falls coach Chuck Johnson told them where they might find one, but the message was clear: Idaho State football doesn’t matter in Idaho Falls.

How else do you explain that the first recruit Idaho State coach Mike Kramer visited upon getting the job couldn’t find the hat of a Division I university 50 miles away?

The harsh, but underlying, truth of the matter is during the past decade, Idaho State may have well been 1,000 miles away. That’s what it felt like in Idaho Falls.

Kramer is looking to change that.

The veteran coach met with a group of about 25 supporters Thursday at the Hard Hat Steakhouse & Grill in Idaho Falls to show off his first recruiting class. But more important than any highlight he showed of a recruit was his mere presence.

In my three and a half years as a reporter at the Post Register, I don’t know of one time former Idaho State coach John Zamberlin set foot in Idaho Falls for an event like the one Thursday. Never once did he reach out to a fan base of 50,000-plus people just 50 miles away from his campus.

Combine that with a laughable performance on the field and you have a market that has abandoned the school. For fans in Idaho Falls, Boise State and BYU obviously rank ahead of Idaho State. But so does Idaho, Utah, Utah State and, you could argue, even Montana and Montana State.

At the Post Register, we’ve cut over coverage of Idaho State to nearly nonexistent the past three years. We go to home games, and that’s about it. We expected to hear it from our readers, but you know what we’ve heard?

Absolute silence.

We haven’t heard a single complaint.

The questions we do hear center around, “Why don’t you go to more Boise State/BYU games,” “Why don’t you give Utah/Utah State more space” and “You need to stop covering Idaho State so much and cover more high school girls soccer?”

Kramer seemed genuinely stunned when I told him that. As a Big Sky Conference lifer who has coached at Eastern Washington and Montana State, he always considered Idaho Falls and Pocatello the same community.

“To me, this is just the eastern half of Pocatello,” he said. “I’m shocked that we haven’t had much of a presence here. I’m shocked because, to me, this is around the corner, over the hill.”

But he has a two-pronged solution to fight the malaise.

First, he will be a constant figure around town. He said he plans to be in Idaho Falls every Monday during the season, hosting pay-for-access meetings with supporters to break down game film, share that week’s game plans and answer any and all questions.

“If you have interest, that means you’ll have questions,” Kramer said. “If you have a question, I have an answer. And I’ll give you the right reason. I won’t give you coach speak and I will not give anybody some patent, hidden-agenda answer.”

The meet-and-greets won’t be limited to Idaho Falls. He plans to spends Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays on the road all season, hosting events with fans from Idaho Falls to Pocatello to Twin Falls to Boise.

It’s a trait he picked up at Montana State, where he traveled to Butte, Billings, Helena, Great Falls and Missoula on a regular basis. And those towns are a lot farther away than 50 miles up I-15.

Kramer admits the second prong is the most crucial – winning.

Without a winner, Idaho State will never be the program of Idaho Falls, Blackfoot or Rexburg. It’ll always bring up the rear.

And for all the hands that he shakes and smiles he gives, that’s the sticking point that remains to be seen.

connecting to IF, TF, and Boise is brilliant as is connecting to Pocatello --the reality is that ISU is only slightly higher profile in Poky. I just told a friend that I am excited about ISU football for the first time in at least 6 years. I have met some of his recruits and they are very good students. Go Bengals and go Kramer.

i believe we need to "hitch up some more wagons"......this first "bandwagon" is getting quite full....and that's a great sign.........folks....as the Bud Light phrase says "HERE WE GO!...".......

Wow! Imagine what a little attention to Idaho Falls, Blackfoot, Twin Falls, American Falls and even a little to Rexburg might do the program! Haven't we discussed this in each of the past 3 or 4 years? Everyone agreed that it would be great to pursue Idaho Falls, but the response has always been the same negative tone... Idaho Falls and the Post Register don't care about the Bengals or the marketing folks are spread thin, etc.

Kramer gets it. It's all about connecting with communities. I don't know if he has the blessings of the marketing group or the admin. But, the population in Idaho Falls is about the same as Pocatello. Couple in the surrounding area and then adding Twin Falls, the Bengals should get a much needed boost in the exposure to more than 100K potential new fans which can't help but fill seats and get rejuvenate some enthusiasm into the program. Here's another thought, Kramer sets up summer lunch dates with major employers to discuss his program to anyone that would be interested. The site and Mountain Home AFB come to mind.

Now that there is some focus in the outlying areas, the Bengals need to find a way to sell tickets and assist in finding ways to transport some of the fans. My thought, see if the site will use some of their buses to bring fans in from Rexburg, Idaho Falls and Blackfoot. We all know that the site has enough people employed in those communities. Why not work out something to get those people to the game? Maybe offer the site some ad time or space in the game program or during the games. ISU has a bus or two. Send them to Burley and Twin. Maybe charge a nominal fee for transport along with a token for a hot dog and drink at the game. At minimum, there will probably be people that would volunteer to setup carpools. My point is that now with potentially new markets, you have to find a way to make it easy for the consumers to buy the product.

At first, I was not sold on Kramer. But he is making the effort to bring positive changes to the program. Changes that have been needed for quite sometime. And for many sports fans, the football program becomes the face of the university's athletics. Hopefully, it brings back some swagger, community pride and that feel good winning attitude. All I can say to Kramer is thanks! And to the university, it's about time!

Latest posts

Back