• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Great Call!

Wow, I don't know how you can be a Bengal fan and not be upset. In every single paper I have read this year our coach only has nice things to say after we get our butt kicked! I understand about giving our guys encouragement but grow a pair please. I am tired of watching our team get killed. Heck we almost lost to Whitworth University and they are a D3 team at home! Something has to go here, either the coach or his crappy recruiting. By the way I see Garrett Swanson is red shirting for 18th ranked marquette. EEzzzeee!!! What the hell were we thinking!

Um, you do realize your coach is in his first season, right?

And wasn't the Whitworth game an exhibition that happened over 3 months ago?

I see the Garrett Swanson groupie is back. Garrett is a good kid and may be a good player at some point in his career, but he is a walk-on at "18th ranked Marquette." I will be genuinely surprised if he sees more than mop-up time there. Had he elected to stay at ISU, where he also was a walk-on, he might have eventually earned a scholarship. But I'm not criticizing Garrett -- he made a decision based on what he wanted to do, and I wish him only the best.

As to Bill Evans, I genuinely like his approach to his players. He acknowledges the team's weaknesses without calling out individuals publicly. That's how you build trust with your players. When it comes time to recruit, your current players are your best salespeople. When recruits visit, if your current players exhibit trust in the coach, that is conveyed to the recruits. And recruiting is the only way this program is going to get any better.

We all know Buzz Williams plays his entire team in almost every game so I'm sure he has Garrett in plans to play him. As to coach Evans I like the fact he doesn't call players out individually in public, but as far as recruiting goes Whitworth has 11 freshman and sophomores there is no excuse for not being able to either get better players or teaching the ones you have. Heck we only lost three seniors from last year and they were a playoff team(With a first year coach).

BallAboveAll said:
...but as far as recruiting goes Whitworth has 11 freshman and sophomores there is no excuse for not being able to either get better players or teaching the ones you have. Heck we only lost three seniors from last year and they were a playoff team(With a first year coach).

I won't try to make excuses, but no matter how you look at it, ISU was a bad 9-21 team last year. Two of the graduated seniors you mention were also the top two scorers (from a team which ranked second to last in scoring offense).

Evans had one month last year to assemble a coaching staff and a recruiting class. The current recruiting already looks to be improved and more thorough than in the past, but time will tell.

Wow, didn't expect Evans to be called out his first year while taking over a bewildered program.
I'm sure he has studied what he needs to do for the future, but I'm not judging him on his first season.
It is a very hard draw there for getting very good players without going into the Juco grads or finding good transfers.
Just a thought or an observation. Idaho has one of very elete Jr. College programs in the country, CSI.
They have won 2 National Championships that I know of. One last year with their present coach and one back when Fred Trinkle coached.
I would like to know how many, if any, of these good players have been given scholarships to ISU.

ISU Coach's have consistently tried to recruit kids from CSI...well few positive results. If you recall Joe O'Vrien one three JC National titles while coaching in Iowa...and a LOT of the kids he had were placed there by D-1 coach's who couldn't immediately take them, for whatever reason. CSI is the same way...a LOT of their players are placed their by major programs that are coming back for them as soon as they can.

BallAboveAll said:
And yes the Whitworth game was an exhibition game from 3 months ago. THATS THE POINT! They haven't gotten any better!

Yeah, because winning three DI conference games is no better than barely beating a DIII team. :roll:

I'm not an Idaho State fan, but I do know Bill Evans is a good coach. I mean, come on, he took Southern Utah to the NCAA Tournament. That's like, well, taking Idaho State to the NCAA Tournament—a place the Bengals haven't been since 1987. And you act like losing 3 seniors isn't significant. This is basketball, not football. 3 players is about a full quarter of the team, and it's especially noticeable when (as mentioned above) that includes the top two scorers from last year. ISU had the worst returning talent in the Big Sky, so to be 3-11 is hardly underachieving.

I don't know if you haven't been paying attention or you just have an axe to grind, but—either way—you've proven yourself to be a complete moron.

The 3 seniors who left were huge losses for sure. Last year they accounted for:

47% of minutes played
45% of points scored
51% of rebounds
53% of assists
52% of steals
51% of 3 pt made
57% of free throws made

That's tough to replace for sure. You're basically replacing half of your production. Hopefully with time Coach Evans can get it done. To get called out in year 1 is uncalled for IMHO.

Like the win last night out of Idaho State. They finally looked like a D1 team. Now to mvem I dont know how much crappy experience you have but Evans took Southern Utah to the tournament ONCE out of 16 years! He had a losing record. Thats not like taking Idaho State to the tournament because they have been there 11 times dumby. I know its been a while but you give a coach 16 years he better get there once. Being 5-19 in any league during any year is bad. Im sure Whitworth would have a least the same record. At some point the teams you play have bad games dumby. Lets just hope the Montana State game starts a streak where they dont lose for a while.

And yes there three seniors last year had a big impact but there leading scorer shot 37%. Heck melvin is almost putting up the same stats. Stop making excuses and lets get it done. Let me guess im going to see a but.. but.. but... NO MORE EXCUSES!

Said it before, but Evans and SUU weren't even in a conference which granted an NCAA auto-bid for his first 5 or 6 seasons. They finally got into the Mid-Con in the late 90's, and he did an admirable job there, although Valparaiso was the dominant team in the conference. It's also been said that Evans was limited with the number of out of state recruits he could sign each year because of a limited SUU budget.

We're all entitled to opinions, but it's kind of nice to see all the information, not just bits and pieces.

BallAboveAll said:
Like the win last night out of Idaho State. They finally looked like a D1 team. Now to mvem I dont know how much crappy experience you have but Evans took Southern Utah to the tournament ONCE out of 16 years! He had a losing record. Thats not like taking Idaho State to the tournament because they have been there 11 times dumby. I know its been a while but you give a coach 16 years he better get there once. Being 5-19 in any league during any year is bad. Im sure Whitworth would have a least the same record. At some point the teams you play have bad games dumby. Lets just hope the Montana State game starts a streak where they dont lose for a while.

:lol: :ohno:

We'll trade you Evans for Huse...we'll even throw in a couple of our crappy players to sweeten the deal. Congrats on your win and congrats on having a program that is actually improving.

I'm not sure what ballaboveall is smoking! I am actually excited for the direction of Bengal basketball. If you look at what little offensive talent we have, it's impressive that we are competing. Also, we have some really impressive recruits coming in this next year. I for one will not be the least bit surprise if the bengal men basketball team is the most improved team in the "Huge Sky" next year.

Do you still like the direction we are going? We better be most improved next year! All we would have to do is lose 20 games. If we went 9-20 we would be the most improved team but still almost last place. What are you smoking?

Latest posts

Back