• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Greatest comeback since Lazarus

Skippy

The ISU women came from 25 points down to beat Weber 113-109 in overtime. Unbelievable effort ladies! Congratulations.

What else can you say but "Wow!" :notworthy:

During Seton's post-game interview, he said it normally takes them 3 games to score a total of 113 points...

Gang, THIS...PROGRAM...WINS. Period. The standard bearer for ISU athletics.

#21 wins...on to Friday.

I'm pretty confident this has punched their ticket to play somewhere next week, NCAA, WNIT or WBI.

With 21 wins, a great RPI and signature wins (including big ones on the road) I can't see any possibility that they are overlooked by every post / tournament.

I remember a game where they were 15 down at home to Weber with nine minutes left and won in OT but under the circumstances, the pressure, I've never seen anything like this.

Simply incredible.

PBP

One of the craziest games I've ever covered, any sport and the single best comeback I've ever seen live in a basketball game.

Unbelievable comeback leads Idaho State past Weber, into semis
https://skylinesportsmt.com/unbelievable-comeback-leads-idaho-state-past-weber-into-semis/

PRESS CONFERENCE - Idaho State 113, Weber State 109, OT
https://skylinesportsmt.com/press-conference-idaho-state-113-weber-state-109-ot/

PBP said:
I'm pretty confident this has punched their ticket to play somewhere next week, NCAA, WNIT or WBI.

With 21 wins, a great RPI and signature wins (including big ones on the road) I can't see any possibility that they are overlooked by every post / tournament.

RPI rank prior to today was 153, so WBI seems most likely. You've got to be in the top-120 to have a decent shot at the WNIT, I would think, so beating NoCo would be an absolute must.

mvem said:
PBP said:

RPI rank prior to today was 153, so WBI seems most likely. You've got to be in the top-120 to have a decent shot at the WNIT, I would think, so beating NoCo would be an absolute must.

Well he’ll let’s just win it all and go to the Big Dance

mvem said:
PBP said:

Why am I not surprised that MVEN tries (try being the operative word) to dump ice water on the party. The coaches respectfully disagree with your conclusion.

PBP

Records Set:
Idaho State's 113 points set the school record for points scored in a single game, eclipsing the previous record of 108. Idaho State has twice scored 108 points; vs. Denver on March 9, 1978 and again vs. Southern Utah on Feb. 15, 1982.

ISU's 113 points also shattered the previous Big Sky Conference Tournament record of 102 set by Sacramento State in a first round win over Southern Utah in 2017.

The Bengals' 64 second-half points also set a new school record for most points scored in a single half.
The previous record was 62 points in a single half, scored against Denver on March 9, 1978.

The combined point total of 232 points destroyed the previous record of combined points in a Big Sky Conference Tournament game. The previous mark was 197 in Eastern Washington's 100-97 win over Sacramento State in the 2016 tournament.

ISU's 41 field goals is one short of the Big Sky tournament record 42, set by Idaho in a win over Montana State in 1984.

Idaho State finished 21-of-22 from the charity stripe, sinking 21 consecutive free throws in the process. It's a new tournament record and more than doubled the previous mark of 10 consecutive free throws set by Montana in 2002.

ISU's 22 assists mark the fifth time this season that the Bengals have delivered 20 or more assists in a single game.

The Bengals finished the game 41-of-82 from the floor to shoot an even 50 percent. It marks the ninth time this season that ISU has shot at least 50 percent from the floor.

Grandon's career-high 28 points marks the second time this season she has recorded 20 or more points and the seventh time in her career. Her 28 points surpassed her previous career-high of 24 points which she scored at Idaho on Jan. 14, 2017.

ISU finished with six players in double figures for the first time this season.

Tapasa's double-double of 14 points and 10 rebounds is her third double-double of the season.

PBP

PBP said:
Gang, THIS...PROGRAM...WINS. Period. The standard bearer for ISU athletics.

#21 wins...on to Friday.

I remember a game where they were 15 down at home to Weber with nine minutes left and won in OT but under the circumstances, the pressure, I've never seen anything like this.

Simply incredible.

PBP
Mark my carpool mates and I listened to the game on the way home from work this afternoon. It was fun listening to you go from “kaboom” in the third quarter to “KABOOM” in the last quarter. 😀

PBP said:
mvem said:
PBP said:

Why am I not surprised that MVEN tries (try being the operative word) to dump ice water on the party. The coaches respectfully disagree with your conclusion.

PBP

The ISU coaches can't match my level of jaded cynicism. :coffee: ;)

But seriously… it's fairly simple math. There are 64 teams in the NCAAs and 64 teams in the WNIT, adding up to 128 teams. Some of those are gonna be auto-bids with relatively low RPIs, too, so top-100 to top-120 seems like a fair cutoff for WNIT at-larges. Now, of course, the selection committees don't religiously follow the RPI, and there does seem to a bit of variance. EWU was 128th. when they got an at-large in 2015 and ISU was 132nd. when they got one in 2013 (Sac State didn't get one when they were 115th. the same year, though, despite beating ISU in the quarterfinals).

RealTimeRPI (unofficial, but the NCAA hasn't updated the official yet) now has ISU at 142nd. Beating NoCo would probably bump ISU into the top-130 and give them a chance at a WNIT at-large. Two things may work against the Bengals, though: they only finished 5th. in the conference, and they presently have the worst strength-of-schedule rating in the Big Sky (303rd. nationally).

Of course, ISU winning two more tournament games would create a completely different scenario that I guess we could call the "Please God, not UConn" watch. ;)

Incredible win! Very fortunate to have Coach Sobolewski.

Not saying we will or won't see a post-season tourney, but people mistakenly think it's all about RPI. That's a component. There have been teams on both sides with top 50, 40 RPI's but get left out of the main tournament. USU comes to mind a few years back on the men's side.

For giggles, let's check out the WNIT site.
https://www.womensnit.com/event-info1.html

1.The WNIT committee will utilize at least six women’s basketball ranking systems in the selection of the at-large tournament spots, such as Massey, Moore, NCAA RPI, RealTime RPI, and Sagarin. These rankings vary in their emphasis, which provides a good cross-ranking of factors such as win-loss record, strength of schedule, strength of opponents, strength of opponents’ schedule, record at home and on the road, record against Top 25 and Top 50 teams, and margin of victory, among other factors.

2.The WNIT will consolidate the rankings, eliminate the high and the low rankings for each team, and average the remaining rankings. This consolidated ranking is an initial resource for at-large selections.

3.The WNIT further looks at additional factors among the teams “on the bubble” such as how well a team is currently playing, common opponents, late-season win/loss runs, games against other potential invitees, and key injuries.

4.Factors that are not taken into consideration at any time during team selection are host bids, location of school, attendance history, WNIT history, ability to host, etc.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cbw/ncaa-d1/ratings
http://sonnymoorepowerratings.com/w-basket.htm
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-women/d1/ncaa-womens-basketball-rpi
http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_bsky_Women.html
http://www.rpiratings.com/womrate.php (Sagarin)

Some of these don't take today's game into consideration. Regardless of whether they get in a post season tourney or not, this team has made us all proud. Again.

BTW, great call by Mark on the radio. I was stuck on I-15 and backed up in traffic because of an accident. I wanted to get home to watch the game on Big Sky TV but Mark's call of the few minutes was classic.

Kaboom doesn't work for me.

However, Brad has a few that I like...Bradism's include "Quite Frankly" (reminds me of Jim Fox) and cawn·fi·dence...its sounds so much better like that.

bengalcub said:
Kaboom doesn't work for me.

However, Brad has a few that I like...Bradism's include "Quite Frankly" (reminds me of Jim Fox) and cawn·fi·dence...its sounds so much better like that.

:D but I love Kaboom! I think Mark should have it inscribed on his headstone.

spudbowl said:
BTW, great call by Mark on the radio. I was stuck on I-15 and backed up in traffic because of an accident. I wanted to get home to watch the game on Big Sky TV but Mark's call of the few minutes was classic.

Thank you for the kind words.

You can't please everyone and I gave up trying a long time ago. It is what it is.

PBP

The thing I don't like about this message board is the lack of a "LIKE" button, for those of us who have to be very careful about sharing opinions.

Awesome win for the Bengals and huge congratulations goes out to them and the coaches. On to the next game!

Latest posts

Back