• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Greetings Bengal Fans

Polydad

I would wish you luck this week, but you know I wouldn't really mean it. :lol:

In all seriousness I expect a really good and close game this week when the Mustangs roll into Pocatello for Saturday's Big Sky matchup. Based on records and how the two teams have been playing, one would have to make ISU the favorite. Cal Poly is actually somewhat improved defensively over last year, especially in our corner play. However, the offense has lagged behind bigtime. Despite losing All American fullback Joe Protheroe, senior Jared Mohamed has done a really good job filling in for him. The Mustangs have run the ball well between the tackles but have not been able to get the job done running the perimeter. We may not run the perimeter well, but we make up for it by fumbling! :shock: Also, QB play is not up to the standard set by Dano Graves and Chris Brown before him. The passing game is one you would expect from a triple option team with receivers wide open when the running game is clicking and nearly non existent when it's not.

I'm not super familiar with your team, can anyone shine a light on things for me?

Polydad said:
I would wish you luck this week, but you know I wouldn't really mean it. :lol:

In all seriousness I expect a really good and close game this week when the Mustangs roll into Pocatello for Saturday's Big Sky matchup. Based on records and how the two teams have been playing, one would have to make ISU the favorite. Cal Poly is actually somewhat improved defensively over last year, especially in our corner play. However, the offense has lagged behind bigtime. Despite losing All American fullback Joe Protheroe, senior Jared Mohamed has done a really good job filling in for him. The Mustangs have run the ball well between the tackles but have not been able to get the job done running the perimeter. We may not run the perimeter well, but we make up for it by fumbling! :shock: Also, QB play is not up to the standard set by Dano Graves and Chris Brown before him. The passing game is one you would expect from a triple option team with receivers wide open when the running game is clicking and nearly non existent when it's not.

I'm not super familiar with your team, can anyone shine a light on things for me?

Welcome Polydad. Thx for stopping by. Should be a very good game I think. Cal Poly is a good program. Never easy to beat a triple option offense. You ask for someone to shed light on our team for you. I think first thing I would say is we are a VERY YOUNG team. Freshman and sophomores impact our team quite a bit. I think we only have 2 senior starters on offense and only 2 senior starters on defense. Future looks bright. But we have a team who can be good right now also. I would say our offense is pretty balanced. With Mitch Geullar back from injury (missed first three games of season) our receiving core is real solid. I think Mitch by seasons end will be viewed as the best WR in conference. Our running game has been our backbone the first month. Our top two RB's are physical runners, our other two rb's are both real good too but more shifty. Our Defense is solid in my opinion. i know we have given up a lot of yardage in first 4 games but I think it's a pretty solid unit on defense.

We are neither young or old, somewhere in between. We have 4 senior starters on offense and 7 on defense. We have mostly team first players, but we also have a couple of "me" guys. From what I've read about your team there is very good chemistry and a desire to play as one. That goes a long way when overcoming lack of experience. We have a good defensive line but it lacks depth. We have way more depth at linebacker and the secondary. On offense we have a quarterback that's one hell of an athlete, but he's trying to grasp the complexity of the triple option and he doesn't always make the correct decision. The strength of our offense is up the middle with our fullback and three interior linemen. Our outside running game has suffered due to running backs that don't always want to block and/or plant their foot and get the tough yards. Fumbles have also plagued our offense. We also have two brand new starting tackles that are good, but they lack experience. We have two good reserve linemen and after that, the caliber of player drops off.

Probably part of the reason your defense has given up a lot of yardage is due to the fact you have played 3 out of 4 difficult games. Congrats again on beating Reno. We came so very close to upsetting them last year, only to lose in overtime. After the game their then head coach Bryan Polian was quoted as saying they will never schedule Cal Poly again. We rushed for nearly 500 yards in that game.

Polydad said:
We are neither young or old, somewhere in between. We have 4 senior starters on offense and 7 on defense. We have mostly team first players, but we also have a couple of "me" guys. From what I've read about your team there is very good chemistry and a desire to play as one. That goes a long way when overcoming lack of experience. We have a good defensive line but it lacks depth. We have way more depth at linebacker and the secondary. On offense we have a quarterback that's one hell of an athlete, but he's trying to grasp the complexity of the triple option and he doesn't always make the correct decision. The strength of our offense is up the middle with our fullback and three interior linemen. Our outside running game has suffered due to running backs that don't always want to block and/or plant their foot and get the tough yards. Fumbles have also plagued our offense. We also have two brand new starting tackles that are good, but they lack experience. We have two good reserve linemen and after that, the caliber of player drops off.

Probably part of the reason your defense has given up a lot of yardage is due to the fact you have played 3 out of 4 difficult games. Congrats again on beating Reno. We came so very close to upsetting them last year, only to lose in overtime. After the game their then head coach Bryan Polian was quoted as saying they will never schedule Cal Poly again. We rushed for nearly 500 yards in that game.

good breakdown of your team Polydad. You guys will be really good I have a feeling on Saturday. Option football often times produces the football being placed on the ground. I hope we recover a few of those and capitalize.

Latest posts

Back