• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Ground Hog Day

protege

get used to it, I must admit I am way more disappointed than I thought I would be at this point of the season

not going to go crazy on the staff, not applying for a job, simply pointing out some CRYSTAL CLEAR observations, many of which have been beat to death

sometimes the obvious is not the obvious until its stated

congratulations to the Stucki's for a healthy new addition to their family!!!!

I knew we had an out of the ordinary ridiculous schedule, but I thought we would be better prepared than this

what we all know now if not before, the schedule was set up to generate revenue, not necessarily improve the players

6 games 6 different starting lineups, not another "decent" school in D1 is still screwing around with their lineup

we, as I have illustrated at great lengths have ZERO offensive strategy, ZERO

shooting 3's from 30 feet down by 25 with 4 minutes to go DOES NOT improve the player shooting or the team, might as well have a shoot around

you can't have rules that keep players from playing the game instinctively

substitutions are atrocious, we sub for no reason, as stated and clearly demonstrated in earlier threads

players MUST be alert and READY to play at ALL times

you can't give someone 20 - 25 minutes a game in 3-4 minute intervals and expect that they will perform consistently

the post game interview has been MASTERED by OBrien

our games are over coached and at the same time undercoached, we think certain players give us better chances to compete against certain kinds of team, basketball is basketball good D1 and NBA teams DO NOT change their lineup depending on who they are playing!

no consistency for players, one game they get 20 minutes the next 3, they are scratching their heads

practice players DO NOT equate to game time players, do not base who starts and gets first minutes on who did well in practice, it never works out!

I would start and play for 30+ minutes Bay, Morgan, Stucki, Busma and Casperi, I would only sub ,meech, steign, Carson and AK for breathers or foul trouble unless their was an injury or a route, but I would ALLOW these players to play and GET GOOD together

players need confidence, they will fight this fight for you, but you must tell them they are OK, you must put them in spots to succeed

JMHO

MY THOUGHTS IN CAPS...

I knew we had an out of the ordinary ridiculous schedule, but I thought we would be better prepared than this.

I THOUGHT ISU WOULD BE 2-4 coming into the season. I thought they would split Hawaii and BSU, beat Long Beach State and lose to BYU and Washington State.

what we all know now if not before, the schedule was set up to generate revenue, not necessarily improve the players

THE SCHEDULE MAY END UP DOING BOTH--AND WHILE I REALIZE LOSING IS TOUGH ON THE TEAM, I THINK THEY REALIZE THE CHALLENGES THEY FACE AND CAN KEEP THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE.

6 games 6 different starting lineups, not another "decent" school in D1 is still screwing around with their lineup

O'BRIEN HAS STATED THAT HE IS GOING TO SHUFFLE LINE UPS TO SEE WHAT WORKS. HE SAID THAT HE BELIEVES HE NEEDS TO BE 10 DEEP GOING INTO CONFERENCE. IN HIS OPINION EIGHT WAS NOT ENOUGH LAST YEAR. WITH SO MUCH TRAVEL BY BUS AND NOT BEING ABLE TO FLY CHARTER--HE THINKS 10 FOLKS WILL BE REQUIRED TO KEEP THIS TEAM DURING CONFERENCE PLAY.

we, as I have illustrated at great lengths have ZERO offensive strategy, ZERO

I AM BEGINNING TO WONDER THIS A BIT MORE MYSELF. BUT I ALSO WONDER IF DEFENSIVE TEAMS BY NATURE ARE LESS PRODUCTIVE ON OFFENSE. WASHINGTON STATE STRUGGLES TO SCORE AT A HIGH CLIP, BUT THEY DEFEND AT SUCH A HIGH PACE. IF THEY FAIL TO CONTROL THE TEMPO--THEY GET BEAT.

shooting 3's from 30 feet down by 25 with 4 minutes to go DOES NOT improve the player shooting or the team, might as well have a shoot around.

SHOT SELECTION IS BAD AND ISU IS NOT A GREAT SHOOTING TEAM. I EXPECT TEAMS TO DARE ISU TO SHOOT THE BALL FROM 17 FEET OR DEEPER AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

you can't have rules that keep players from playing the game instinctively
substitutions are atrocious, we sub for no reason, as stated and clearly demonstrated in earlier threads
players MUST be alert and READY to play at ALL times.

I THINK YOU CAN THINK TO MUCH AS A PLAYER AND I AGREE THAT PLAYERS SEEM TO BE PRESSING.

you can't give someone 20 - 25 minutes a game in 3-4 minute intervals and expect that they will perform consistently

I AGREE WITH THAT AS WELL, BUT O'BRIEN IS ALSO TRYING TO SEE WHAT COMBOS WORK ON THE FLY. IN ORDER TO EVALUATE NOW--THE TEAM IS GOING TO HAVE TO DO IT AGAINST HIGHER QUALITY OPPONENTS. I THINK THEY WILL LOOK FOOLISH AT TIMES, BUT ALSO SHOW IN SPURTS WHAT THEY ARE CAPABLE OF DOING.

the post game interview has been MASTERED by OBrien

IT HAS BEEN MASTERED--BECAUSE I THINK HE IS TRYING TO STAY CONFIDENT AND POSITIVE AND TO NOT SINGLE OUT INDIVIDUALS BASED ON POOR PLAY.

our games are over coached and at the same time undercoached, we think certain players give us better chances to compete against certain kinds of team, basketball is basketball good D1 and NBA teams DO NOT change their lineup depending on who they are playing!

I EXPECT THE ROTATION WILL BE MORE LIMITED BY CONFERENCE. RIGHT NOW--HE IS TRYING TO SEE WHAT 5-6 NEWCOMERS BRING TO THE TABLE.

no consistency for players, one game they get 20 minutes the next 3, they are scratching their heads

LOSING MAKES EVERYONE IRRITATED AND LEAVES EVERYONE SECOND GUESSING.

practice players DO NOT equate to game time players, do not base who starts and gets first minutes on who did well in practice, it never works out!

I THINK THE STARING LINEUPS ARE STARTING TO BECOME MORE PREDICTABLE.

I would start and play for 30+ minutes Bay, Morgan, Stucki, Busma and Casperi, I would only sub ,meech, steign, Carson and AK for breathers or foul trouble unless their was an injury or a route, but I would ALLOW these players to play and GET GOOD together

THAT IS A ROTATION OF 10 AND I THINK THAT WOULD BE GOOD AS WELL. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE CASPARI PLAY MORE AND I'LL BET HE WILL.

players need confidence, they will fight this fight for you, but you must tell them they are OK, you must put them in spots to succeed.

DON'T LOSE TOTAL FAITH--IT WILL PROBABLY GET MUCH TOUGHER BEFORE IT GETS BETTER. IF THE SAME THINGS ARE HAPPENING WHEN THE CONFERENCE SEASON ROLLS AROUND--I'LL BE GROANING PRETTY LOUD. THIS TEAM HAS TOO MUCH TALENT TO NOT BE SUCCESSFUL IN CONFERENCE. SOMETIMES I WONDER IF THIS TEAM HAS TOO MUCH TALENT TO KEEP EVERYONE INVOLVED AND HAPPY.

SIDE NOTE:

ISU non-conference opponents thru 12/3/08---58-19.

Good stuff, protege and bengalcub!

Biggest thing I notice is that this team has no consistency, they have not "gelled."

Also, the offense is really hard to understand!

Players are not on the same page, this has to improve! They don't know where they are supposed to be on the floor!

Is there a method to O'Brien's madness? Will we suddenly become a cohesive unit when Big Sky play begins?

I'm very concerned, as I am not seeing improvement game to game!

WSU seemed like a big step back for us!

Go Bengals! Beat Utah!

Washington State makes a lot of teams look silly on offense...Idaho State's non-conference schedule has to be the toughest in the nation....it'll rank in the top 10 before all is said and done....ISU's opponents are 59-20 so far non-conference, with NONE under .500, and they are in a four game stretch (BYU, WSU, UTAH, WISC) where the opponents are 24-3.

O'Brien's teams are always battle tested and ready for conference play...they were 3-10 entering non-conference last year, and were a suspended official from being 9-7 and third in the league....they will be just fine.

ISUSID

Latest posts

Back