• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Halftime Interview Saturday...

PBP

During the ISU-Weber State game is scheduled to be Big Sky Assistant Commissioner Jon Kasper.

Every year we do a 'state of the conference' interview when ISU goes to Ogden and Jon has been kind enough to help out this year.

We'll discuss Reno and the post season tournament including what made the conference say 'yes' to that city, what are the risks and rewards, what were the reasons for allowing every team to participate and when the situation will be reevaluated (three year deal with that city remember...)

We'll also talk about North Dakota giving 'full cost of attendance' athletic scholarships next year, Idaho's desire to do the same and what that may do to competitive balance in the league.

I hope you'll tune in at halftime (if not before to listen!) ;) Game starts at 2:05 on FM 91.1 KISU.

PBP

Folks:

Here is a brief summery of my interview with Jon Kasper.

1. Why Reno. What was the deciding factor or factors that caused the conference to move the post season tournament there?
It was a relatively close location and it was the only one to offer to host both the men's and the women's tournaments. Everything is centrally located with hotels, restaurants, shops all near each other. You can park your car and literally won't have to use it for that week. And we felt we had to do something for the athletes. It simply wasn't right for example for an Idaho State team to have to bus 17 hours to get to North Dakota like they did a few years ago. We also wanted to help parents and friends be able to attend by giving everyone enough time to make travel arrangements.
2. All teams are participating this year. Again what was the factor or factors that made the conference decide to let everyone in regardless of the regular season record.
We're trying to build our brand (i.e. the Big Sky) and it was felt that one of the ways we could do that was by letting everyone go. That way all fan bases will continue to be interested and we think rivalries will continue or new ones will be built.
3. Any time you make a move like this what are the risks and what are the rewards?
The rewards are in trying to build the conferences brand and the fact that the city of Reno and that community really wanted us and we're going to have a great partnership with them. The risk of course is that fans won't attend and we understand that's going to take time. We won't consider it a failure if we don't draw a lot of fans the first year, we think in time it will take place.
4. This is a three year deal, at what point does the conference start to evaluate the situation and decide if they want to try something different which has happened in the past regarding the post season tournament?
Probably after year two we look at things and see if we want to continue with this format and location.
5. North Dakota has said they are offering full cost of attendance scholarships to athletes next year. Rob Speer, Idaho's A.D. said in a September radio interview this is what the Vandals want to do, although he didn't give a specific timetable. Does the conference have a position on this and what does that do to competitive balance?
Doug Fullerton our commissioner has spoken to other conferences about this and legally there is nothing we can do. We can't tell schools that they can or can't do this. It will be up to the individual schools to act in the way they think best...obviously some will be able to do it or others financially won't be able to.
6. Jon you've got the last word anything we missed today?
Just want to say how happy and excited we are to have this take place. Reno and the community are a partner and are helping with things. I just got back from there recently and it was something to see our logo being painted on to the floor that we are going to use for the tournament. I've got a four page checklist of things that we have to do as a conference, big and small things like the floor itself, the baskets and it's a lot of work. Again we think it will be worth it and we are happy to be working with Reno and we encourage the fans to come out in March.

The post season tournament is at the Reno Events Center, March 7 through March 12.
The women's bracket starts Monday March 7, the men Tuesday March 8.

PBP

Thanks Mark. I think cost of attendance is an issue that all conference ADs will be watching nervously. I've been told that because of the formula used to calculate COA, ISU's cost per student athlete would be one of the highest in the league. That will make offering COA at ISU a real challenge, but I think ultimately everybody in the conference is going to have to offer it to stay viable.

Latest posts

Back