• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Hawaii loss - this one HURTS

sweller

One of the most frustrating, disappointing, tearing-my-hair-out losses I've ever experienced !!

AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!
frustration.jpg

The main struggle that this team will have this season is its inability to score. I love our ability to defend but we'll be playing a lot of games in the 50's and 60's. Unfortunately, we do not have a true point guard on our roster. When Hawaii turned up their pressure, we had no answer because we didn't have a point guard who could alleviate the pressure by going by someone. I'm not a Bay fan at all. These posters who claim that Bay and Caspari are the keys to the team are idiots. Morgan and Stucki are the keys to the team. Period. Bay is perhaps the slowest point guard in D-1 and he makes terrible decisions. He can shoot the ball and that is his one saving grace. When we get pressured, we are going to need someone who can go by people to get them out of their pressure. I think we'll be ok, but we're going to have to play Morgan at the 1 with the returners for us to have the best chance.

baller1 said:
Unfortunately, we do not have a true point guard on our roster. When Hawaii turned up their pressure, we had no answer because we didn't have a point guard who could alleviate the pressure by going by someone. When we get pressured, we are going to need someone who can go by people to get them out of their pressure. I think we'll be ok, but we're going to have to play Morgan at the 1 with the returners for us to have the best chance.

What happened to the Sherrod Baldwin experiment? I recall OB praising him before the season started (see http://www.pocatelloshops.com/new_blogs/kellis/?p=4417).

I can't believe we sh!t the bed like that last nght... I told everyone that Amorrow Morgan will challenge for BSC POY, though...

No reason to panic... what, did you think ISU would get an at-large bid?

They lost to what would probably be a middlin Big Sky team on the road.

What happened to the Sherrod Baldwin experiment? I recall OB praising him before the season started (see http://www.pocatelloshops.com/new_blogs/kellis/?p=4417).[/quote]

Sherrod's going to take some time to develop. He's played in four games so far -- the exhibitions and 4 minutes total in the two regulations games -- and has 0 assists. As Baller noted, the Bengals are a team full of two-guards -- we've got a millin' of 'em, I tell ya -- but nary a PG in sight.

I have followed this board for a while now. Everyone keeps talking about a "true point guard" , there seems to be alot of different views on what a point guard is.
As far as attacking players I thought this board is for fans of the program not for people who put down our players.
Bay will be a very good player for ISU so will Felix, they are brand new to the program, they have been with them for a couple of months, give it time. We will start to come together in another game or two. Morgan is a nice player so is Stucki (who struggled), and they should both be playing on the wing positions. When Hawaii pressured us we were not prepared no matter who was in there, Bay was barely in the game during the chaos. Iam sure the coaches will be more prepared to handle full court pressure. Our bigs need to be stronger and start gathering more of the rebounds. I could even count how many times we couldn't grab the ball. People need to stay positive and not trash our guys. I am looking forward to the next game and hope we get better at every position
GO ISU!

This game was frustrating--it reminded me of Long Beach State last year. ISU had so many chances to extend the lead into double digits, but let opportunities pass them by.

It is WAY to early to cut bait this soon--I got a feeling with a tough non-conference schedule that most will be off the wagon by the time conference starts. Then BAM--ISU will be a contender for the BSC crown and everyone will be happy, happy, joy, joy.

ISU did not handle the pressure--they will learn to. Bay, Caspari and Baldwin will all come into there own. Plus, ISU will rebound the ball better in the clutch and execute in the clutch as the season moves forward.

I was frustrated last night as were others--as was the team, as were the coaches. Bio is right, this is nothing more than a road loss to a comparable BSC team.

To say that this team can't hold its own in conference would be silly. They can defend and they can rebound--they will be in some ugly games and they will win their fair share.

Go Bengals! I'm over this Hawaii thing.

Way to early to get all worked up. I know i was half asleep last night but i saw a few things which have been absent for a few years........Speed. It was nice to see that out of the players. I am not one for excuses by no means but hell our guys were playing at 3 and 4am our time. For what it is worth. It was very nice to see ISU on ESPN. We got some great coverage even at 2am. and the Coaches and players represented ISU well. Even with the loss in overtime it was not a bad thing to go over there and to play on ESPN. I don't know much about hoops and positions etc but i see Kal as being a threat. He is not slow by any means in my opinion. Like i said, we need to wait for the right chemistry and rotations to get settled in and we will be just fine. Now for the downers...turnovers, rebounds and the pass inbounds with 1.7 seconds left that we threw out of bounds and let Hawaii get the last shot try instead of us. We have to correct them and we will. Keep your chins up. We will be fine. The problem we have is too much good talent on the team and that is a good problem to have. GO BENGALS!

Point guard....I am telling you guys Coach Obrien should be talking to Kelvin Krosch....I have seen that kid play basketball and he is something else...Played point guard...6'6".....can dribble and pass and drive and dunk....not a great 3 point shooter but we don't need that. A friend told me Kelvin really does want to play both sports...Football and basketball...I was told he was heavily recruited in basketball. I wish he would try it mainly because he is a local kid.

have followed this board for a while now. Everyone keeps talking about a "true point guard" , there seems to be alot of different views on what a point guard is.
As far as attacking players I thought this board is for fans of the program not for people who put down our players.
Bay will be a very good player for ISU so will Felix, they are brand new to the program, they have been with them for a couple of months, give it time. We will start to come together in another game or two. Morgan is a nice player so is Stucki (who struggled), and they should both be playing on the wing positions. When Hawaii pressured us we were not prepared no matter who was in there, Bay was barely in the game during the chaos. Iam sure the coaches will be more prepared to handle full court pressure. Our bigs need to be stronger and start gathering more of the rebounds. I could even count how many times we couldn't grab the ball. People need to stay positive and not trash our guys. I am looking forward to the next game and hope we get better at every position
GO ISU!

Bengallove, I'm smiling because that is the most conflicted post I've ever read! :lol: "I couldn't even count how many times we couldn't grab the ball." Followed immediately by "People need to stay positive and not trash our guys." I love it.

I recorded the game last night and just saw the replay. And I don't think ISU has anything to be ashamed of. Especially when you consider that we were playing on the road, we played at 2 am in the morning our time, and the kids were probably still suffering from jet lag. We'll have a very talented team this year, and should contend for the Big Sky Championship.

SKippy, I am not conflicted at all . I am just stating that everything is not all bad because we do not have a "true point guard" it is more than that. We have a ways to go and we need to stick with our guys. we will get there by BSC shedule time.

I watched the replay on ESPN, here are my comments:

1) Point Guard - Bay looked fine until the Warriors started pressing full court. After that, the ENTIRE team struggled. It seemed like the Bengals hadn't practiced against that pressing defense AT ALL, and nobody knew where to go with the ball in order to break the press. Having said that, Bay needs to play a complete game - he started strong but didn't knock down shots late that would have potentially made the difference. If he continues to work hard in practice I am confident it will all come together for him.

2) Center play - In a word: WEAK!! Steijn and Busma had a combined 6 points and 6 rebounds. Busma should be DOMINATING! Give him the ball down on the block, who is going to stop him? Also - rebounding and second chance shots was sorely lacking! In my mind, this was the difference in the game.

3) Dumb mistakes! We made way too many! As O'Brien has said, "smart beats athletic every time." Where were our smart basketball players last night? DUMB passes! POOR clock management! DUMB fouls!

It's early in the season, but we need to work HARD and IMPROVE.

Loads of potential, and I am confident O'Brien will bring it out.

Go Bengals!

I will say it again and echo what Grimm has said......Centers, you are BIG GUYS. Act like it. Take the ball to the hoop. Don't get pushed around or play passive. We have always had a problem with our big guys in the past not showing their force and toughness. For how skinny Slim was he could take it to the hoop. We need to address this issue now and not later. I am confident it will be fixxed. GO BENGALS!

I watched the replay last night and I can't understand why there isn't more optimism about this team. It was clear to me, and I assume any else that watched the game, who the better team was. Turn overs killed us - that is fixable - we should have rebounded better - I thnk in the future we will - we need to finish at the basket - it's early in the season playing in an unfamiliar circumstance and at an awfully weird time and those shots will fall. I think Bay is fine - he hasn't played much early in the year and he's still finding his game. Stuki is a potemtial Big Sky MVP and he played horrible - he'd be the first to agree - I guarantee you he will play better. I don't know much about the bigs - just what Ive seen early this year - but Stein is a lot better than last year - Busma has huge upside and I expect we will see a lot more of Caspari as the season goes along, the bottom line is they will all get better. The fact that we can use up 20 fouls in the post and be physical with people is a huge upside - I think they can be taught to get physical. Finally I'd say that our guys need to get some confidence in their jump shot. It seems obvious to me that they're all afraid to shoot - with a couple of exceptions. The coach needs to turn them loose a bit and let them cast away - those shots will start falling and it will do wonders for the inside game when those 15-19 foot jumpers start falling.

Is there any question as to how good defensively they can be???? - especially with an 8-10 man rotation.

Anyway, I was really pleased with what I saw and I expect to see great things from this team down the road.

I was just wondering if you guys consider Monroe to be a big guy. He's playing great ball!! I agree with Jackson, I watched some of the game and thought we looked real good. We have a lot of new people to blend into the rotation this year. I know Kilpatrick will start hitting his shots and Carson was awesome last year and he's still working on getting going....................so we just need more experience palying together.

I thought going into the year that if our bigs contributed 15 points 12 rebounds we would be much improved. I think they will sooner than later do much better than that. Remember that Kilpatrick led us in blocked shots last year, I don't see that happening this year.

I'm stoked about this team!!! It will be fun to watch them come together as a solid BSC team.

that was a tough loss, but we have a lot to look forward to!

we WILL get better and we have playmakers at every spot, give us a little more time to see the offense come together, the players TRUST each other and the physical play of the teams we are facing sink in and we are very good team.

I have watched the game now several times and our defense was very good we have really good players who just need a bit more time together.

I will say this, we didnt shoot well, period, that will improve, and we acted as if they were allergic to rebounds. You're not going to shoot the ball well all the time, Defense is a constant. Rebounding is a constant. Offense is a variable - we WILL get better.

Latest posts

Back