• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Holt arena in the future

Coastalvandal

Has roof removal been discussed or is it a realistic option.
With a new arena planned and a leaky roof it might be a good idea.
Probably doesn't matter but twelve thousand sideline seats is a good start for a MAC type stadium.
Texas St and Montana both have around thirteen thousand sideline seats.

If an FBS Big Sky conference is possible in the future would ISU be interested?
The prevailing thought is some cost saving measures along with more expensive options will be coming to FBS.
Maybe FBS becomes 70 to 90 scholarships with five being eligible to split .
FCS dropping to fifty scholarship with FCOA becoming more common in FCS.
The attendance requirement will probably be dropped its a joke and doesn't exist for any other sport.
Twenty thousand seat capacity will Be all that is needed for a lot of schools but not required.

Fun idea about the Holt Arena, but I would say it's not possible. It's owed by the students, and football only plays 5 games a year there. They rent that put for so many other things. It's not just a football stadium, it's a convention hall etc. They make too much money with it as an enclosed structure. But it would be cool to pop the top off that thing!

MJG said:
Has roof removal been discussed or is it a realistic option.
With a new arena planned and a leaky roof it might be a good idea.
Probably doesn't matter but twelve thousand sideline seats is a good start for a MAC type stadium.
Texas St and Montana both have around thirteen thousand sideline seats.

If an FBS Big Sky conference is possible in the future would ISU be interested?
The prevailing thought is some cost saving measures along with more expensive options will be coming to FBS.
Maybe FBS becomes 70 to 90 scholarships with five being eligible to split .
FCS dropping to fifty scholarship with FCOA becoming more common in FCS.
The attendance requirement will probably be dropped its a joke and doesn't exist for any other sport.
Twenty thousand seat capacity will Be all that is needed for a lot of schools but not required.

First off welcome.

The new arena that's being planned and that I've read about in the Journal is for basketball only, not football. ISU simply doesn't have the funds or the community support in the area of a tax levy to get a new facility. When a measure was put up for a vote I think in 2008 along these lines it was soundly defeated. To the best of my knowledge nothing is on the drawing board even along those lines so the questions about seats, sightlines etc are all a moot point. Interesting idea about the roof but as was stated, Holt Arena is used for a lot of things that can't be conducted outside during the winter / early spring.

Maybe something has / is taking place recently that I don't know about regarding a possible football stadium. If so, can someone post a story link or provide more information?

Regarding an FBS Big Sky Conference the former commissioner was involved along those lines and stated publicly that was an option. He retired in June and I have no idea what the stance is of his replacement along those lines. I'm sure if something were to happen ISU certainly would want to be paired with their long time 'rivals' like Montana, Montana State, Idaho. The question is could they afford to do it both financially and competitively? Don't know the answer to that question.

It will be interesting to see what happens in a few years when Idaho returns to the BSC. I'd think at the very least they would have to split into two-seven team divisions from a scheduling standpoint. The unbalanced schedule was a topic of discussion at the recent BSC pre season meetings in July.

PBP

Thanks for the response my thinking was maybe it might be cost effective if the roof needed replaced.
A four thousand seat arena typically seats 6k for concerts if set up right not sure about how other events would work.
FBS is more cost effective for a Kent St vs FCS for Youngstown ST with similar support and stadium size.
That fact and wanting to stay with rivals would be appealing if a FBS division of the Big Sky becomes possible.
Twelve thousand chair back seats is a good start NAU added chair back seating and dropped from 16k to 10k.

Latest posts

Back