• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Homecoming 2008: NAU @ ISU

john_clayton

A few days out from the game so I'll start (I think this is the first) a thread for the NAU-ISU game.

Oh boy...on paper this looks like a route in favor of the nationally-ranked NAU Lumberjacks. Given the recent play of ISU O and the inability to establish a running game, the mistake-prone Special Teams, and the injuries/discipline issues (among others) on D, ISU is in for a long game. Or are they?

Some questions I have about this week's game are:
  • What, if any, adjustments did or will Coach Z make about playcalling?
  • Which players will step up and make this a competitive game? Which players NEED to step it up?
  • Which team will win the turnover margin?
  • Will ISU try to shorten the game and keep NAU's OFF on the sidelines (and ISU's DEF) with a commitment to the running game, even though NAU Rush D is the best in the nation?
  • Can/Will RH put the ISU OFF on his back and pass ISU to its first victory? I hope he doesn't have to.
  • Will ISU DEF be able to pressure the NAU QB - if not sack him, at least make him uncomfortable without the services of Amos and the dismissal of RR?

Good luck Bengals.

From Caccia Field, this is John Clayton, BengalDen.com :D

On the coaches show Monday night, Zamberlin mentioned that he wants to see the offense control the ball more. He said that the best thing that could happen when the defense is struggling is for the offense to hold onto the ball and sustain drives.

I am not sure that ISU can run the ball, because nobody else has been able to. The short passing game can be as effective as the run, but it is imperative that R. Hill makes solid decisions. NAU is going to bring quite a bit of pressure and he will need to make quick decisions and throw accurate passes for ISU to have a chance.

I am really looking forward to seeing Storms and Goins manning the safety spots. The silver lining to this team struggling may be the increased play of the pups. I thought the defense had some bright spots last weekend. Jason Jones and Tyler didn't play bad at all. I really want to see more of Gibson--he seems to have a nose for the football.

NAU's quarterback is big, strong and pretty fast. The Bengal backers had better sack up or he is going to run right over them.

NAU is good, make no mistake about it.

This team needs to stick together and fight to the end and the coaches need to put a game plan together to allow the team to be successful. On offense they can't abandon the run or turn the ball over and on defense they need to find non conventional ways to create pressure and tackle well.

That is my $.02.

Thanks JC for kicking it off. I guess the rest of us were just kinda waiting for each other to say the first word.

I believe that we are do for a big game, by that I mean to have it 'all come together'. So why not this week during homecoming??? Really.

I am going to look for us to run the ball significantly more than in past games, even with NAU's defensive stats this year against the run. When things aren't going so well, you need to look to the strength of the team to pull you thru. I still think the OL is the strongest part of the team, so I am gonna look for us to come out to establish the run and control the LOS and the clock management more than ever. I would like to see Cornist get 20+ carries and Knickrehm and Blue 10 apiece. This should help us keep them off balance and hopefully aid us in using the middle of the field with the TE and Eddie in order to help the outside passing to the WR's. Let's start looking for the TE a little more to get us those first downs on 3rd and 7-10 yds instead tending to throw the outs trying for 15 yds. I would like to see Hill throwing for about 25 attempts.

Again, I think we are due for some big plays. Especially on defense with some sacks and int's. We are going to need to contain their QB because he runs equally as well as he passes it-and I think he is a lefty also???
I want to see our LB's come up and 'lay the smack down' on the QB every time he looks to take off running.
He is dangerous and quick and elusive.

I will be there doing my part to help out.

We are 8th out of 9 teams in rushing offense and NAU is allowing under 50 yards a game rushing. I hope we can run the ball, but I really dont see it happening. We are 8th out of 9 in scoring offense as well. The offensive stats are somewhat deceiving as we simply cant score once inside the redzone.

That may be correct luk, I think the stats are deceiving. Remember in many of our games, we were behind or even tied and went to the pass an awful lot and abandoned the run too early-IMHO.
re: See QB pass attempts.

If they want to stack the line and stop the run then the TE's are a must this game.
I heard that Jayson Bird is possibly out? Anyone?
Learning how to tackle and proper fundamentals should have been on high priority this week.
Hill must have a good game with good decisions (ie. release the ball quicker-throw the ball away and not take the sack if at all possible) that last game was not his most impressive with picks BUT i have to give the guy credit for connecting with his receivers more than not(they dropped the ball many times when it was right in their hands.)
Penalties is another thing we need to take care of. (discipline)
I want to see players take control and be "in tune" with what is going on. Keep the dancing and prancing to a minimal or if we are up because 9 times out of 10 our D will get burnt the next play. Keep Focused.
I don't know that starting these newbies is all that bad? What will it hurt. Didn't the D hold NC off from scoring in the last 2.5 quarters last game?
The best i have seen this year with our O is the EW game. We were running nice plays and were unprecictable. We looked very strong offensively that game.
Crowd noise will be a help too. It is sad when Montana St. is louder then we are in the dome.The student section must show up.
Last but not least "Super Fan" I hope to see you there. We need you. ISU needs you there. I don't think you got enough praise on your 3 page spread in the journal. And i forgot to comment on it also. That was cool what you did at the Montana St. game. You stuck up for our Bengal Pride!
I HOPE we can see some MAJOR adjustments this game. Give em all you got. GO BENGALS!

Unfortunately, J. Bird's career is done, torn ACL. Half of ISU's 8 sacks will not be on the field Saturday either (Crittendon and Cloward).

I watched the NAU and PSU game on NAU tv last weekend. NAU is good. They destroyed PSU. ISU has a lot of work in store for them in order to get the "W". We are definitely the underdogs at our own homecoming.

This is a game of "WHO ARE WE AND WHAT ARE WE MADE OF". From coaches on down to water boy or girl. Give us as fans some type of feeling for the future. I read a bit on NAU and they are a lagit team. 7.2 rush defense avg. and i think they had 28 or so sacks on the year. We have got to play out of our comfort level to even compete in my opinion. Lets see what you got to give us!? We know you can win. Like GOBIGORANGE said, It's time to suck it up and play some ball. Let me get their exact words.........Everyone needs to quit making excuses for losing! I'm sick and tired of the excuses about the facilities,etc. SUCK IT UP AND GET SOME PRIDE AND PASSION AND GO PLAY FOOTBALL.!!!!AS I SAID BEFORE ZAMBERLIN NEEDS TO TAKE CONTROL OF HIS PROGRAM AND SHOW WHAT HE HAS TO OFFER! I BELIEVE HE IS A GREAT GUY SO SHOW US BENGAL FANS WHAT YOU CAN DO!!!!GOBIGORANGE

Does anyone think the Bengals can beat the 'Jacks?

ISU shoulda won 3 games this year I think...

The Big Sky is a tough conf obviously, score prediction?

I think both teams will put up some points just like when you played EWU and MSU

weberwildcat said:
Does anyone think the Bengals can beat the 'Jacks?

ISU shoulda won 3 games this year I think...

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.
NAU is trying to make a run at the championship.
ISU needs to put everything they have into just trying to make it a game and maybe try and be in a position to win it in the 4th. Otherwise it will be a blowout. I think the kids may be giving up on a lot of things this season.

I don't believe that I have ever seen a Zamberlin coached team ever quit. If they quit on the team and each other, I hope Zamberlin shows them the door with a quickness. No exceptions.

Latest posts

Back