• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Homecoming Prediction: NAU @ ISU

john_clayton

With the UNC-ISU game in the rear view mirror, time to predict what will/won't happen at the homecoming game v. NAU.

QB Rotation? - For every fan who wants KM to start, there are equal numbers who think RH should start. In my opinion, had RH not been injured early in fall camp, RH would've been the starter in the first three games. KM was serviceable, made progress, and gained valuable game experience. However, as much as RH experience has under his belt, to ask him (or KM) to put the team on his shoulders to win the game is too much to ask for. The running game HAS to improve to take pressure off of RH/KM.

There is Moore and then... - who else on the ISU OFF is going to step up? T-Mobile is worth the price of admission and has the capability to take it to the house every time he touches the ball. Teams will scheme/kick away from him, and that potentially leaves the door open for one (or more) guys to step up. Will it be the CW-JR tandem? Even with a beat up O-line, I think they can and will assert themselves as a key factor in the game. The passing game, again predicated on how the ISU RUSH OFF can do, could open up with Burel, Rumble, and Hill as viable threats to stretch the NAU DEF.

Contain NAU's Bauman and Shanks - Bauman's a beast at RB and Shanks could be NAU's clone of T-Mobile. NAU has enough fire power on OFF that the ISU DEF will be tested in both stopping the run and defending the pass. The ISU LBs will make their plays...how well Monga et al up front and Holmesly et al in the back play will dictate if ISU can force mutiple 3-and-outs and create turnovers.

Penalties (again!) - NAU doesn't commit many penalties. ISU, on the other hand,...Lack of discipline in the form of penalties has killed ISU. Will it happen again or did ISU work on the "little things" to cut down the number of bone-head penalties?

Prediction: I'm concerned about the injuries overall, and the inconsistency on the ISU OFF. If ISU can get 100+ yards on the ground against a stout NAU RUSH DEF, then ISU will win. There is enough depth on the ISU DEF that they will be able to rotate bodies and keep guys fresh going into the 4Q. I'm taking the home dog plus the points, even though I think ISU will win outright...barely.

ISU: 28
NAU: 27

Waiting in line to get my ticket to the ISU Women's BB annual AYCE crab feed on 3-November, this is John Clayton, bengals.bigskyfans.com :D

bengallifer said:
Sniper, you need to snap back into reality.

Thanks for the heads up, bro. I appreciate your input. But I'm not sure why a prediction matters to you anyway. Nobody will predict the right score, you idiot.

27-13 Idaho State.

Defense shows up and demonstrates that they are the best unit ISU has had in the last 10-15 years.

R. Hill makes a surprise start and tosses for 300+ yards and 2 scores.

NAU pooches the kickoff three times to avoid Tavoy Moore and they kick the ball out of bounds on all punts.

Sniper said:
bengallifer said:
Sniper, you need to snap back into reality.

Thanks for the heads up, bro. I appreciate your input. But I'm not sure why a prediction matters to you anyway. Nobody will predict the right score, you idiot.

I wasn't saying anyone was going to get the score exactly right. I hope the Bengals win as well. To think ISU is going to win that big makes me think you are the idiot.

Bengals 31 Jacks 17. Always makes me shake my head when someone has so much faith and passion for his team that he makes a 48-13 prediction, and then he gets called an idiot. Do you pessimistic a$$holes get depressed when the Bengals start looking good. Folks that do that need to move on. Maybe they should get OFF BOARD. Bengal Country needs more Snipers. We need more to Get On Board like that. I don't know about everyone else, but I for one have had plenty of "reality" for a lifetime. It's time for some good positive enthusiasm. This is our team - I think we are going to kick their asses too!

Greetings, Bengal fans.

Sounds like there are a few more reasons for Bengals fans to smile so far this season. If Moore can keep up last week's performance, he just may get a sniff somewhere on Sundays.

This is NAU's first game of the year against comparable competition. They opened with Western New Mexico, a Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference team, and rolled from start to end. They played @ Arizona State U. and were close through 3 quarters (down by 7 @ start of the 4th) but ran out of gas in the 4th quarter. Then a bye week to hopefully heal up before conference play begins. Can't find the article on the azdailysun.com website but I think I heard that NAU has one defensive starter out with a knee injury (Watson...cornerback) and a few lineman dinged up. But NAU isn't facing the major injury issues. Yet.

(Lack of) Injuries and depth. The two things NAU has going for it so far. The defense cycled in a lot of different players against ASU and held the Sundevils to 56 yards rushing. I'll temper this by saying that ASU seems to be more of a passing team. Offense returns a lot of starters on the line and they're strong at QB. A lot of question marks at receiver and running back, though. Lots of youth and transfers. I expect Herrick to have a decent season but don't know if he'll put up the yards he did last year. Punt and kickoff coverage vs. ASU was sketchy. Uh-oh!

I think you guys know more of what to expect from the Bengals than NAU fans know what to expect from the Lumberjacks.

Cautiously optimistic with my prediction....
NAU 27
ISU 21

After watching the NAU ASU game I think it is going to be a tuff one. I have a feeling that ISU is going to be fired up and seems to be tracking. If ISU can play error free and pay attention to detail it will be a great game. If ISU can get the ball to Moore, establish a run game 4 yards a down and not be predictable on the offensive play calling ISU can do it. Because this will be my only game I will get to see until next year when I come home I have a feeling ISU will pull it off.

28-21 ISU

It is Homecoming. We must defend our home. (IF) and this is a big (if) ISU can eliminate the penalties early on and keep the momentum in high gear, we can pull it off. We need to keep the D off the field (plus stop their QB and freshman RB) and use the clock.

We have the tools to do this but will all our ducks be in a row!?

ISU wins this in an overtime thriller ISU 31 NAU 28 (blocked kick)

I see some real positives this year and think we are more competitive but I don't think we are there yet. Mistakes and penalties will be the difference. NAU 34-24

Hey mt jack, I see Nick Larson listed as a TE on the roster. Has he always been a 2 sport athlete for NAU? If he catches balls like he rebounds, he's liable to pull a few down.

sasquatch said:
Hey mt jack, I see Nick Larson listed as a TE on the roster. Has he always been a 2 sport athlete for NAU? If he catches balls like he rebounds, he's liable to pull a few down.

This is Nick Larson's first year of playing football at NAU. He had used up his basketball eligibility last spring. (I think) he had played football in high school and decided to go out for football at the urging of the coaching staff for his final semester at NAU. I think he's down the list on the depth chart but he definitely has more height that a lot of college tight end/receivers. I hope his skills get utilized at some point.

NAU hoops will miss his lunchpail efforts this coming season. He's right up there with Ruben Boykin and Kelly Golob as one of my all-time favorite Lumberjack hoopsters.

Nick's brother was a tight end at Ohio State University recently.

I wonder if ISUsuperfan know that?

biobengal said:
35-27 NAU

WOW!

I was giving Zamberlin way to much credit. I came from Maine for the homecoming game and.... well, this is garbage ball. Sure, this is the first time I've seen the team in action in 4 years but I was shocked at how poor the offensive play was, it seems to get worse every year. The offense looks lost..... this is an embarrassment to ISU and its alumni. Z should do the right thing and resign after this year.

the players on the field deserve credit for playing hard. The Bengals seem to have a tough time getting the right players on the field on defense, NAU went no huddle and problems began. Plus, the size differential was huge, NAU was huge on the Offensive line and had big receivers and running backs. NAU did a great job of containing Tavoy Moore on special teams.

NAU did do a great job on Tavoy - and they obviously prepared very well: deep kicks to the end zone, kick away from him when they were penalized on the kickoff, and great punt coverage. He was relatively obscure on offense today; Just a question but, when we have the ball, have our offensive gurus thought of maybe involving Tavoy Moore on an end around or something similar? I was expecting to see that tried at least once today.
The defense played pretty well considering the time they had to spend on the field.
The ISU offensive attack was nicely contained with help from our own side. How can anyone expect to get any consistency with the cycling in and out of the QBs? Frankly, I thought Moore looked reasonably good despite the two drive-killing interceptions. Once again, the late in the game TD pass by Hill was totally meaningless (just like at Utah State) - except for avoiding the shutout.
At least we're consistent - feels just like 2008 and 2009!
I hope we win another game this year.

Latest posts

Back