• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

How Much Longer Can WAC -- and Idaho - Hang on?

Skippy

Looks like the new MWAC/CUSA League is already talking expansion, with WAC schools like Utah State and Louisiana Tech in the discussion. But where would that leave Idaho? Perhaps back in the Big Sky.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/53513626-77/state-conference-utah-wac.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't see it happening at UofI.. Too much pride & shame associated with such a move.. It's what they should do, though. I'd welcome them back.

Have heard from different sources, people who should be in a position to know that Idaho has already asked if the Big Sky would take them back.

I've been told the answer at this point in time seems to be 'yes' with the condition that football over a period of three years would have to get back down to the FCS level. All other sports would be immediately a part of Big Sky competition.

I understand where Idaho had said publicly many times they would "never" return to FCS levels... however the bottom line is this, if (or perhaps a better word is when) the WAC folds, who is going to want Idaho and the difficulty of getting to Moscow for a lot of teams?

Seriously...talk is cheap, but UI knows they are in a very difficult situation when the WAC goes under. The Big Sky is a natural / perfect fit. UI is close to Eastern, Portland State, Sac State and Montana...from a rivalry and scheduling standpoint, it makes complete sense.

PBP

Why the hell wouldn't Idaho ask for the Big Sky to take them back when it's obvious that the WAC will soon fall apart and NO FBS conference would invite them. And they'd never make it as an independent. Bio, we all know that your loyalties to Idaho stand out and are quite obvious. Idaho made a huge mistake by going FBS about 15 years ago and now they're paying a heavy price for doing something so foolish.

I have no doubts that Idaho has inquired about rejoining the Big Sky, if even just for their olympic sports. They'd be foolish not to, based on the instability of the WAC. They need to land somewhere if the WAC folds.

Karl Benson is the new commissioner of the Sun Belt, and he came out yesterday to say that he is going to look at expansion within the geographic area of the conference. Louisiana Tech, Texas State, and Texas-San Antonio are already being rumored as candidates. Give USU and San Jose State to the MWC rumor, and Idaho is in a world of hurt. He also said that the Sun Belt and WAC probably won't merge. I think the WAC may survive as an olympic sport type conference, but it would have to take schools like Bakersfield and Utah Valley to survive. Would Idaho rather be with them, or with schools who have the same academic profile as them - schools like Montana, Montana State, North Dakota? Even schools like ISU, Northern Colorado, Portland State, and NAU offer more in common than the likes of Texas-Arlington, Bakersfield, and UVU. :twocents:

Bio:

For whatever it's worth to you, some of my sources come from the highest levels including the conference itself. That's why I made the comment that they are in a position to know.

Two individuals have told me the same thing and provided specific details, which is why I made mention of the "three year" plan to return Idaho football to Big Sky levels. I didn't just pluck that out of thin air.

What we do know is this, the Big Sky is keeping its options open, waiting for the WAC to go under, the only two names I've ever heard mentioned in connection with 'final' expansion are Idaho and New Mexico State. UI makes the most sense for everyone....including Idaho (unless you think the Pac-12 is going to be interested or the new joint venture between the Mountain West and C-USA. If you do then you just made my day. :D )

PBP

It would be very rational for Idaho to rejoin the Big Sky. However, this is all about THE University of Idaho, the "flag ship" institution, the land grant school of the state. They don't want to be second fiddle to Boise State in anything including athletics. Many of us knew back in 1995 when UI and BSU left the Big Sky, that this was a bad move for Idaho. Moscow is a rural, isolated area (a beautiful area but isolated). They were in the Big West for a few years, then the Sun Belt, then the new WAC and now what? The UI needs to realize that athletics and academics are separate issues. In other word, athletically, they cannot compete with Boise State. Idaho would be smart to join the Big Sky. I agree with other posters that this won't happen however.

Here is part of their mentality.

http://www.class.uidaho.edu/eng207-td/Sources,%20Links/university_is_better_off_playing.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The belief that they get bigger game guarantees from being in FBS. Of course, ISU, a FCS school, has scheduled Oklahoma, Georgia, Nebraska (in the future I believe) and other big game guarantees and I am certain that ISU can bring a million dollars a year in when they want to be humiliated by a FBS school at $500,000 a shot. The UI also claims that they raise more scholarship money today (that might or might not have anything to do with being a FBS school). Certainly, the UI as a member of the WAC benefited when Boise State won the Fiesta Bowl, as I assume WAC schools shared in some of the money. They also would sell out the Kibbie Dome when they played Boise and they got a nice pay day (I assume) when they played BSU in Boise, but those days are gone.

Good luck to the University of Idaho.

Latest posts

Back