• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Idaho State ruled ineligible for FCS Playoffs 2011-2012

isusuperfan

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/05/24/bmurphy/idaho_state_faces_football_postseason_ban_idaho_lose_one_footbal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But before everyone loses their head, Kramer has cleaned house very well since his hire, with over 30 players this spring having GPA's at 3.0 or better. So this is a minor snag, and since it's from an organization that doesn't care about athletes anyway, no biggie. Keep it rolling, Kramer

As expected.

The important thing is that the football program makes progress and moves forward in the right direction. As Frank M. mentioned in another thread, ISU needs to stay committed to getting this fixed by dedicating more resources and folks to make sure that this problem does not resurface down the road.

Thirty kids with a GPA of 3.0 or better is certainly a step in the right direction. An APR score of less than 900 lets us all know that ISU has to make marked improvement to level the playing field--get the scholarships and practice time back...then worry about the post season ban.

My advice if any fans are hearing it--don't panic here. This was the logical next step by the NCAA. Deep down inside, we knew this was coming.

Be patient, the program has a new vision and in time ISU football will be better for the challenges that they face.

On a side note, imagine how bad things would have been had Tingey waited one more year...

What is the old saying...It must get worse before it gets better? I thought it couldn't get worse? It has and I hope we are at the bottom. All we can go now is up and onward. There is no need for me to rail on the old crew that was here for the last 4 years or so and I am sure that the paper will not either!?!

CUB, YOU HAD THEM PEGGED AND THEY DIDN"T LIKE IT! YOU CALLED THEM OUT MY FRIEND WAY BEFORE THEY SAW IT COMING! Way to call out accountability Cub!

We have a new HC and staff and they are here to help us and get us back to where we need to be. We need to keep our chins up and see the light at the end of the tunnel. Lets get a BSC Championship! GO BENGALS!

Ch. 6 just posted an interview about the post season ban on their website.
http://www.kpvi.com/story.php?id=43791&n=15206" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i do think a lot of us felt it was coming....not a big surprise.....BUT ...i believe the best way we can show we are behind the new coach, his staff and his team is to "Pack The House" for the first home game. I cannot think of a better way to show this team.....that we are truly with them....through whatever!!....

....PLEASE start NOW encouraging all the folks you know from the different parts of the state to plan to attend the first game......Saturday, September 10th.....4:00 is game time.......think how you would feel ....as a player.....as a NEW coaching staff.....to walk down the ramp to a packed house.....standing and cheering......think you would feel that all the work being put in right now would have been worth it?....ABSOL-FRICKIN-LUTELY!
..............The players and coaches WILL do their part.....THIS CHALLENGE is ours......BENGAL FANS...."HERE WE GO!"

More from Ch. 6. Now they have an interview with Jeff Tingey. Channel 6 has really been dominating the ISU coverage lately! I'm loving it. Not loving the post season ban but loving the exposure for Idaho State. KPVI didn't have one national story in sports tonight. It was all ISU. Tip of the hat to the folks at NBC.
http://www.kpvi.com/story.php?id=43791&n=15210" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that everyone is blaming Coach Z. The coach is not the only one at fault. I think that the Athletic department staff needs to be held accountable. The coach is the one in charge but the staff appears to have failed. There are specific positions in the staff that oversee the academic progress of athletes. There are good successes at ISU but to have the football team NEVER meet the APR goal is completely unacceptable. As an Army officer if one of my sections failed like this I WOULD BE FIRED. I think that ISU and the AD need to address this and show that academics are a big deal and that the behavior of the football team is unacceptable. If you go to every class and do your home work you will get C’s if you put a little effort into it you will get B’s. This shows me that the ISU football team does not go to class or do their home work. When it comes time to donate money and support a university I will give my money to the school with scholar athletes. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

Valid points Sapper. However, I think most agree that almost everyone in the athletic department shares in the burden and blame.

A few points...

The APR challenges that ISU has had MORE TO DO WITH ATTRITION THAN GRADES.

The football program under Zamberlin, is the only program at Idaho State that seems to suffer in the APR process. Zamberlin and Company simply recruited the wrong type of athlete to Idaho State on too many occasions and duplicated the process multiple times.

As for the AD addressing it, I believe he has. He has made the process of obtaining a scholarship at Idaho State more difficult by increasing the academic requirements of the student athlete. Higher GPA's and ACT scores must be obtained before ISU can sign and football player. These requirements are considerably higher than that of the general student population.

The men's basketball team at Cal State Northridge was banned from the post-season next season. Ironic or coincidence that Paul Bubb was the AD there and hired the basketball coach there? 2 of the 8 schools (25%) banned from men's basketball or football playoffs next season are schools where Paul Bubb was the AD and hired the coaches who created a lot of the problems.

That tells me that the previous adminstration should be held accountable to some degree, but it's still not a total excuse. ISU track and cross country do a fantastic job. Coaches need to be help responsible, as do the students.

This is NOT A TOOT MY OWN HORN DEAL that I'm about to illustrate, but what it takes in part is constant diligence. I had several meetings with Matt Steuart where for softball, we wrote out the entire lineup on the giant whiteboard in the academics area, and went through the APR scenarios for everyone. It was very thorough, and then I met with Shelly and basically went over stuff. We made a conscious effort to let players know that no scholarships would be cut, and we would do everything we could to keep them at ISU.

The result, despite a few folks leaving, we kept them in good academic standing, and softball had a great single year APR. It takes that level of APR commitment as well...You almost need an APR coach to monitor it all and find all the bonus points and things you can get (I.E., Kevin Sweetwyne graduating got ISU a free bonus point a few years back).

I think in the last two+ years, Matt has been a little more diligent in the APR game, and Jeff definitely is well in tuned to it.

Also, this APR score has ZERO to do with Mike Kramer, and honestly, next year's will still bear some of John's handiwork as well. The slight increase in the APR on this latest report si more a testament to Jeff's implementation of the tougher academic standards.

Remember for football the APR will be a slow process as ISU still has four scores in the 800s. Even a perfect 1000 next year would not help out all that much right away, because you would still have three scores around 890 or so, and then a 1000. After two more good scores, then it gets better. The beauty is one really good score (like softball's 954) is gonna stay in the rotation for four years.

APR=game=strategy.

Former ISUSID (Live from Hohokam Stadium in Mesa!)

The way I see it, the post season ban will probably be in place until ISU is ready to make a run at the playoffs. I can't see a team turning into a playoff team in two years coming off back to back to back one win seasons. Stranger things have happened, but I don't see it.

Get if fixed and get it fixed correctly. Get the scholarships and practice time back and then worry about the playoffs.

The sad thing is, Idaho State really has a horrible APR score and they are one of only three 1-AA equivalents to be hit this hard. What I worry about is losing Division I status. I am not sure how realistic it is that it could happen, but it is the next thing in line. That scares the hell out of me. I cannot imagine that it will get to that, but we will see.

With all this said, I hope a post season ban does not hurt recruiting too much.

If ISU plays its cards right, it could come out of this whole mess in better shape. With the right kinds of kids in place and a walk-on program that rivals that of the Montana schools.

4311188791a5132781535ml.jpg

Me: Well even though this wasn't what we wanted, it was expected

BengalCub: Yes...all according to plan...*rests on palms* *laughs quietly*

Rest of BengalDen: "........."

Read on espn about APR penalties and ISU is one of three schools that were band from post season play. In my office I have officers that are huge football fans and that have graduated from some of the most prestigious schools in the country such as West Point, Pen State, MIT, and several Ivy League schools. As a student of ISU I am embarrassed. :ohno: :evil:

To be honest, Sapper, I can't see how being banned from postseason play is more embarrassing than having a 6-39 record over the last 4 years. Give it time...every coach deserves a shot for 3 seasons.

Besides, the postseason ban is a Zamberlin legacy, and we knew it was coming.

On a side note....I just found out that I am moving to Grand Forks North Dakota...home of future Big Sky Conference member North Dakota...pretty stoked I will get to see my Bengals for the first time since 1994!!!!! Hopefully by then we will be eligible for the playoffs and be sporting a good team!!!!

it probably hurts recruiting with no post season possibility --then again we last went to the playoffs in 1983

Its no fun to feel hosed. Its really no fun when you are the hoser and hosee! We Bengal Fans are pretty used to adversity. This isn't stopping my plans to go to every football game this season. I'm thinking road games too.

Latest posts

Back