• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Idaho State vs. North Dakota

Well ND has hit 4 three pointers in arrow and isu makes no adjustment. Isu keeps taking wild shots.

It is so quiet that you can hear a pin drop. And it looks like junior high dance.

I stayed and suffered through the entire ordeal. I'm disappointed at our play in all areas of the game. Most disappointed in defense. We have no press, we have no trap, and we do not adjust. I'm afraid we who are faithful are in for a long season.

We stayed through the entire misery. It was awfully cold in there tonight - appropriate for the level of play the Bengals brought. At least they are consistent. :roll:

After listening to Bill Evans on the postgame shows a couple of times, including tonight, I wonder if he is as uninspirational in the locker room and in practices as he is in his interviews. Pretty bad when Brad needs to answer a question for him about what they need to do against Northern Colorado: like maybe make more baskets and get more rebounds. Oh, boy! :o

One big highlight of the game shouldn't be overlooked: it was like watching recess at a nursery school with kids running up and down stairs, over the bleacher benches and all around sections of the track. It was interesting watching the ushers try to corral the little sprinters on the track and telling them to go back to their seats. :rofl:

Let's not even go into the newly introduced seating arrangements. :thumbdown:

Can you say "fiasco"?

Personally I think Evans must be doing a helluva job in the locker room. This team does not quit and even if they do not have the ability to score, they defend for the most part well for a team. Defense is about commitment and dedication. Shots won't always fall, but defense can be something to build on.

I am not trying to make an excuse for how bad this team appears to be, but if they defend like this (minus two or three games this season)and find one or two solid scorers...the team is going to improve. The offensive system seems to be working pretty well...ISU just can't hit the shots they create.

I agree with Cub. We don't have a great offensive team, but the defense is amazing sometimes. After the four three's they made an adjustment and that threat almost went away. Thomas needs to become a scoring threat like he did at the end of the game driving to the basket. Make them foul you, shoot free throws. Just like last year we don't have an inside presence, recruiting will fix that. The problem is it puts all the pressure on the guards to score and we graduated 60% of our scoring. Either we need to run plays that allow Hansen to set his feet or he needs to spend the summer getting his shot off with speed and accuracy. As always if you don't have a strong core when you bring JC's in they tend to struggle the first year because you have to rely on them to much. Just like the football team, Rome was not going to be built in a day.

This team needs to crash the boards on the offensive side (and also the defensive side) or they are going to end up only winning 3-4 games all year. Even if we are outsized, we can still get in there and fight for rebounds. Notice what happens after we miss a shot, there are normally 3-4 defensive players under the basket and no Bengal players. ISU had 3 offensive rebounds last night (all in the second half) and ISU was out rebounded 43-22. I do think that the early recruits for next year sound promising and the defensive adjustments were impressive. But crash the boards!

I won't argue with Spudbowl's point about crashing the boards, but there was a few game stretch where we got killed in transition, so I think Coach Evans really emphasized getting back and taking away the break-away basket...which in most cases is indefensible. A lot of breakways come from turnovers, but I think the emphasis was to make the opponent play a half-court game and take away early offense.

It's a problem when you don't have the size to compete for boards on every shot. In league games Walters and Preh are our leading rebounders...but overall it's Walters, Sanchez and Morgan...and when your guards are your second and third leading rebounders, you're either a great shooting team...or not very good on the boards...and we're not a great shooting team, yet.

from channel 6 sports last night not a direct quote :

The most exciting thing about tonights basketball game was the ICCU dash for cash.

votb said:
I won't argue with Spudbowl's point about crashing the boards, but there was a few game stretch where we got killed in transition, so I think Coach Evans really emphasized getting back and taking away the break-away basket...which in most cases is indefensible. A lot of breakways come from turnovers, but I think the emphasis was to make the opponent play a half-court game and take away early offense.

Thanks for that explanation VOTB. Another issue for fans, of course, was that last night was the first time that we have seen ISU play a DI team in Poky so we really don't know much about this team. I can see where the players dropping back quickly on defense would be a reaction to stopping the transition game. Of course, it also means no second or third shots on the offensive end- I assume that this is frustrating for the coaching staff.

For what it is worth, I've followed ISU Basketball since the Herb Williams days. The last winning season was in the mid 1990's. Can't even remember the specific year.
Coach Evans does deserve a chance. When Coach O'Brien was hired, we knew it was a Paul Bubb set up. Even though O'Brien won 9 conference games his first season, it was because the 5 starters came from Doug Oliver's era. As you know, Matt Stucki and Logan Kinghorn were both Eastern Idaho kids. Coach Evans has stated that he will look at local kids. Since the LDS missionary age was changed to 18, it will be even easier to recruit Idaho kids. After Oliver's recruits were gone, the program went downhill. Except for 2 players that stand out in my mind: Amaro Morgan and Broderick GilChrist (sp?). We need to give Coach Evans a chance. He went 25-6 one year at SU. We haven't had a coach with that record since Killingsworth. I don't know much about the X's and O's of the game, but obviously we've got to give the coach some time. Last thought. I travel Montana with my job and have a few contacts in Missoula. Everyone had great things about Coach Evans, were sad he left, and wished him luck. I'm going to do the same.

At the beginning of the season, Evans said something to the effect that he hopes people don't judge the team by wins and losses. That told me all I needed to know at that point. He knew the talent and level of play just wasn't there. It's making for a horrible season to watch, but I am still optimistic for the future.

The Deane Martin & Joe O'Brien Comedy Hour is over, finally. But the bad taste still lingers. Only 5 of the current 15 players listed on the roster are Evans' scholarship players. Some of those signees were relatively late. The signings which took place in November are a good and positive sign. This is another program which will take a couple of years until we see real signs of improvement, since next year's freshmen will have to adjust to the division I game.

There were some players that left because of the O'Brien turmoil. I believe that there are some of them that are still playing either JUCO or D-II and have 2 years left. I don't know if this is true or not, but I guess my question is,"would any of these players help ISU , or is it the policy of ISU that they are not welcome back. I think I am correct that no one can be signed now until April.

I agree with Cub. I don't think Coach Evans in the locker room is the same Coach Evans in a radio interview. I stayed for the entire game and I didn't see any quit in the team or the coaching staff. We definitely do not play a lazy zone defense but a tough match-up zone. The hustle and determination is there. We are out-sized by a lot of teams. Another thing I like is that we are not settling for outside shots against a zone. Those two observations give me hope for the team's future. Coach still wants to win with this team and he refuses to place blame on any of his players. If I were a player, I'd go through a brick wall for a Coach like that.

If you can't get back on transition, you are going to get killed very quick. During the Holidays I was watching with my grandson, who plays college ball, a game with Louisville and Kentucky. I know that this is completely at another level, but a Kentucky player was at the line shooting 2, made the first and then missed the 2nd. Louisville tiped out to a guard and he ran the floor before any Kentucky player was around, and of course the slam. My grandson said,"Did you see that speed?". Someone has to get back in transition, even if it's one guy. It would be very interesting to see how fast some of those guards can run the 40 yd. at that level. Now down to the ISU level, it's the same thing, you gotta get back. Watch the halftime or post game interview and what does the defeated coach say. "Well, we didn't do to good in transition."

Latest posts

Back