• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Interesting Link

Skippy

In today's Salt Lake Tribune:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsususports/53467944-55/jones-state-utah-idaho.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If ISU offers the job before the end of the season as Tingey has indicated I will be very disappointed. If ISU goes to the Big Sky tournament and host a home game I think Martin earned the job. :twocents:

Where does it 'indicate' that, Sapper? They are doing what every other responsible dept. would do, weigh ALL options.. We don't need any knee jerk reactions, so chill out and let the rest of the season play out, and the interview process go forward. Everyone wants the best for ISU, so let Tingey & Co. do their jobs. They've hired excellent coaches to date..

Tingey has stated in several interviews on TV, radio and in the paper that no decision will be made until the end of the season. Interviews are one thing but if a decision is made in the middle of the season and it is not Martin that is a classless on the part of ISU and a huge distraction to the team.

Where does it Indicate that Tuff....Really. Let me show you what Slapper is talking about.

"Jones, the lead instate recruiter on the staff, is a finalist for the Idaho State job and could be offered as early as next week."This guys isn't pulling this stuff out of thin air I wouldn't think? Someone is oviously telling Jones (Writer not Coach) that the coach is a favorite and could be getting a offer next week.

I have complete knowledge of this situation and I can assure you all that the report is false. No coach will be hired, or offered the position, until after the season. Don't believe everything you read in the paper folks.

I agree with baller. Think about it...you have a team battling not just to make it into the Big Sky Tournament (which it hasn't been to in years), and even have a chance to host a 1st round game. What could it do to that team's momentum if you announced a new coach with a couple of weeks left in the season, and it wasn't the guy that got them where they're at now? If you were an athletic director, would you do that? Even if you were hiring a coach from outside the program, you'd wait until after the team is finished with its season, wouldn't you? The writer couldn't even get his facts straight when he said the last few coaches at ISU have been fired. If he can't get that right, in my mind there's not much else in the story you should put any credence to...especially a so-called timeline.
And that's just my humble opinion...besides the fact that just last night people inside the department told me there's no way a new coach will be named before the season ends. The only exception I could see to that is if Coach Martin gets the job...that's the only case in which you would name the coach before the season ends.

Wow, this is very interesting. When you have a guy in place right now who is more than proving himself to handle a tuff situation taking over in the middle of a season and trying to get kids to play without thinking about who's going to be the next head coach. This is what happens to alot of low to mid major schools when looking for head coaches, alot of them want to try and hire an assistant coach from a mid to high major program who's never had to deal with the situations that come with a job like idaho state. Back when we was winning in the 90's we was on the same playing field as everybody else in the conference(Boise St,Idaho,etc) with recruiting, now it seems like there are certain kids you want the coaches to recruit and if that's the case you need to hire and idaho high school coach and be ok with finishing dead last in the conference every year. Everybody know it's a tough job but it can be done because it has been before. U can't tell me the people in that town didn't enjoy going to games win holt arena was packed with 7500 to 8500 a game, it was the greatest show in town especially when we beat idaho and boise on a regular basis. So i think people who are making these decision have to ask themselves do you want to get back to those days. Hire somebody who knows the league and what it takes to win at Idaho State, it might be a LM guy but he will know how to turn over rocks and push a side mountains to find players because they are not running and calling to come play at Idaho state and if they are trust me they are not very good. GO BENGALS

I think it all comes down to money. With the rumors circulating about Hawkins and Jones it's clear that Idaho State is looking for a coach that
A) will be intriguing to donors
and
B) can recruit.

Deane needs to be the selection though. I'm a journalist and student at Idaho State, so I get a bit more access to the team than most and get to attend practices/games, etc. The players were a mess under O'Brien, there was no direction and no confidence in the locker room. With Martin, things have completely turned around. I talked to Melvin the other day and he told me that the team had a new identity - its defense - and that started with Deane. The "Drag" offense has also been spectacular for Idaho State, and once Kostur is fully developed he will be an absolute monster at the 4. This team had confidence, and it started before they even won a game with coach Martin (my talk with Mel was just prior to the Arizona game). To say that he has done a great job is an understatement, because he has transformed this team into something spectacular. The students are excited, the players are happy - and Tingey thinks that he should be playing games with that...

ISU needs to give Martin their full support.

am, I'm not sure I'd use the word spectacular to describe ISU this season, or the previous few. I completely agree with Bengal90's sentiments.. All I ever hear from most of you on here, is, why you can't recruit to Poky/ISU, etc. I'm very familiar with all of those so-called reasons, which really, are just excuses.. Do you all really think that if we'd have done the smart thing, and hired Rahe, when we could've, and he wanted the job BTW, we wouldn't have at least 1 conference title? It's going to take the right coach that can recruit the right players, cuz I know for a FACT, he'll get the full blessing and backing of the admin. So let's hear WHY, not WHY NOT, a coach can be successful at Idaho State?

tuffgong said:
am, I'm not sure I'd use the word spectacular to describe ISU this season, or the previous few. I completely agree with Bengal90's sentiments.. All I ever hear from most of you on here, is, why you can't recruit to Poky/ISU, etc. I'm very familiar with all of those so-called reasons, which really, are just excuses.. Do you all really think that if we'd have done the smart thing, and hired Rahe, when we could've, and he wanted the job BTW, we wouldn't have at least 1 conference title? It's going to take the right coach that can recruit the right players, cuz I know for a FACT, he'll get the full blessing and backing of the admin. So let's hear WHY, not WHY NOT, a coach can be successful at Idaho State?

I mean it in the sense that they have been so horrible, that any hope is a welcome sign. The job he has done so far is inspiring. Will he keep it up? Who knows, but he has earned a shot.

Wow! Nice comments from all. After all the dust has settled and we are back to reality after a few nice wins I ask myself a couple questions, Was it the exit of O'brien? or Is it the coaching of Martin? that our team has a new attitude? This will show in the next couple weeks.

Is Martin going to be an average coach in the BSC if he got the job or a great coach? Is there someone else that we can get more out of in terms of coaching, recruiting, etc?

I actually like Coach Martin's demeanor and the way he handles things from the outside looking in, and I have total confidence in Tingey. If he plans on being here for the long haul which I believe he does he will make the right call with the right coach at the right time. To make things simple....This is a good problem to have, WE CAN PICK AND CHOOSE!!!!

without Chase Grabau, things are going to tough for this team, which only complicates the coaching decision in my mind.

as i stated before, when you've had this many coaches in a short period of time at some point you have to look in the mirrior(administration)and say what can we do to be better because you can't tell me all the coaches you have hired are bad. And also don't get caught up in hire somebody that the community will support because when it all boils down the will support a winner because that support will go out the window if the guy isn't winning so remember ask yourself how bad do you want to be respectable in the conference and not the laughing stock of the league. Anybody will take the job because its a head Div 1 job and not knowing how tough it will be if you cant recruit outside the area(california,washington,oregon,arizona,and all junior colleges). Be smart before you pull the trigger on a merceds benz when a toyota camry can get the same job done for long period of time.

Latest posts

Back