• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Is Krosh gone?

...no he isn't. Kelvin is still here and enrolled. Just spoke with him. Where do you people come UP with these things?!

blackfoot bengal....my bad....yes...i am talking about the younger krosch...i think the earlier posts were also but you know the word "assume"...i was for sure.......

I am Kelvin and Kole's mother and I would like to tell the REAL story. Kole was asked to grey shirt this past semester because during high school Kole took an online English class his 10th grade year. Mackay High School failed to send in the proper documentation to the NCAA Clearinghouse for that class so Kole was not cleared at the start of the first semester. Mackay finally did get the documentation corrected and Kole was eligible to play Div 1 Football. Kole was asked to get into a weight lighting class the first semester and then jump on board with the team in January. Coach Kramer called Kole in at the beginning of December and told him they were going to honor his scholarship but wanted to move him from safety to WR and then sent him to register for his classes. On December 27th Tingey called Kole while he was in Mackay for the holiday vacation and told him he did not have his scholarship because he had not scored an 18 on his ACT. Kole had scored a 17 and met all NCAA Clearinghouse requirements. That was the first time Kole had ever heard he needed an 18 on his ACT to play at ISU. Needless to say, we were extremely upset and I personally called Tingey. The conversation was not very cordial and I asked for answers that I still have not received. Tingey had made a comment to my other son that he felt since Kole had attended Mackay he did not feel Kole would be academically ready for college. When I asked Tingey about that comment, he told me that actually what he said is, "No high schools in Idaho prepare their students for the rigors of college." I could not believe that Idaho State University's Athletic Director would make a comment like that and I asked him to repeat the comment three times. I informed him that my son, Kris, was one of 4 or 5 from his recruiting class that did in fact graduate from ISU and Kelvin is also one of 4 or 5 from his recruiting class that will graduate from ISU. I asked why Kole was never called into the academic athletic office one time to discuss this issue. If Kole would have known what he needed to do he would have done it. They had 11 MONTHS TO DISCUSS THIS ISSUE with Kole. I asked Tingey if the decision was his or Coach Kramers and he told me it was Coach Kramers. I asked for Coach Kramers telephone number and he would not give it to me but said he would give him my number. I did not receive a call from Coach Kramer the first day and so I called Tingey back the next day and asked if he had given Coach Kramer my number and he said he did and Coach Kramer did not want to talk with me. I made four attempts to talk with Coach Kramer and he never would return my call. Kole wanted to meet with Coach Kramer and our family wanted to discuss Kole's option of walking on but never received the call back. Kole had other offers during high school but had decided he wanted to follow his brothers and attend ISU. We put calls out to other schools but since it was the holiday vacation no one was available but that next Monday, Boise State's Coach Choate called me and talked with me for 30 minutes. Coach Choate had coached at Challis High School during the same time period our oldest son, Brad played at Mackay. Coach Choate was very aware of the success our boys had during their high school and college years and offered Kole to visit in the spring and then jump on board with Boise State in the summer. We have always been part of the Bengal Family and this has been an extremely difficult time but as Kole told a friend, "I will always bleed orange but I guess just a different shade." The whole situation could have and should have been handled very differently. Extremely unprofessional, to say the least.

Well I guess that because "Kandy Krosch" has chimed in, that this is just the way it is.. No biased look on things, I imagine.. Did you ever think that maybe not everyone carries your sons in such high regard such as yourself? I'm sure that there have been no wrongs done on their part.. Of course not. Bottom line is, Kramer has an agenda, trying to get there as soon/proficiently as possible, and he saw the situation as a liability, END OF DISCUSSION! Do you think your son is the only kid that has had his scholly revoked and shipped out in such manner? Open your eyes, it's the harsh reality of college athletics..

harsh reality?????/

if z had done it people would have been pissing all over themselves about what a raw deal the kid got and how could he do that to an idaho boy and thats no way to run a program... and loads of other bs like that...
but because its a new 'piper' in town - all the mice are lining up to support him.... the kid got screwed and kramer did it... (tingley ain't lilly white here either - he needs to grow a pair)...

nothing like having a double standard.... in 4 years if kramer don't win all you folks on the 'big human/ceo' bandwagon will be lining up to run him down and out of town....

Thanks for presenting ONE SIDE OF THE STORY. We'll never know the other side, because privacy laws are in effect. Look, most of us remember hearing about the raw deal a certain player received at the beginning of the season. It wasn't until the player himself came clean and admitted that he had flunked a course last spring which caused the series of events to happen in the first place. Not once did anybody offer that tidbit. Not once.

Perhaps somebody in the know could help explain some of the qualifications for Division I athletics. I was under the impression that the NCAA looks at the sum of the 4 parts of the ACT, not the individual score. Further, for division I athletics, I was under the impression that a sliding GPA scale comes into play. Thus, the higher the sum of your 4 sections of the ACT, the lower your high school GPA (in core courses!) needs to be. The lower the sum, then the higher the GPA would need to be.

I'm not saying this is the case here, but folks, don't mess around in high school. Those grades are going to matter for college, athletics or not.

For the past four or five years, the communication between the coaching staff and the academic support team has been less than stellar. Both sides want to blame one another, but the truth is, neither has been at the top its game.

Last year was a game changer, ISU was warned in prior years--but last year they were finally hit with APR penalties. It was communicated to all of the coaches on the prior staff what was acceptable as it pertained to signing student athletes. However, in situations like this, the message was not always communicated to the player. This is a communication problem that starts at the top and trickles down from there. Idaho State was forced to make changes and these changes put some kids in difficult predicaments. The rules changed mid-stream and everyone was ho-humming about it until the university actually got tagged with penalties.

Kramer comes to ISU and speaks with Kole, not knowing that he did not meet the NEW academic requirements that ISU submitted to the NCAA as part of its academic get well plan. He asks Kole to make a position change and everything is good. When it is time to register for class, the triggers in the system red flag and all hell starts to break loose. The prior staff has not advised Kole properly during the past year on how to fix this nor has the academic support team made resolution a priority. Idaho State retracts the offer, because making this EXCEPTION does not show continuity and consistency with the academic get well plan that ISU has committed itself to. Making exceptions to that plan, is not an option. Why, because Idaho State wants the NCAA to look at them favorably when evaluating Idaho State for academic progress in the spring.

So, in truth even Kramer had to learn (see Phil Earley same situation with Galloway) the depth of Idaho State's academic get well plan. In fact, Kramer brought kids on visits early in the recruiting process that did not meet the requirements of that plan. Once the academic status of these potential recruits was discovered, no offer could be made. Kramer figured this out and adjusted his recruiting strategy to account for it.

Does this situation with Kole suck? Yes it does and everyone in the athletic department knows it. Kole was signed before ISU was hit with scholarships reductions and reduced practice time by the NCAA. Over the past year a ton of things have changed. The way that ISU is going about its business has changed. Why? Because it has to. The next step will be a ban from post season play and ultimately ISU could lose its Division 1 status. This is not an option.

Did the communication suck with ISU. Absolutely. Everyone was pointing the finger at everyone else. Guess what the finger pointing won't work anymore.

The one common factor in this equation would be John Zamberlin and his lack of leadership, retention and poor recruiting fits. Does anyone have any idea how many kids have to leave and or be ineligible to play to cause APR problems like this? It takes quite a bit. Zamberlin simply did not recruit the right kind of kids to come to ISU. He took too many risks and did not hold kids accountable. The Idaho State program lacked discipline from top to bottom. This is the primary reason why ISU is where it is at right now and the same reason why ISU did not have much if any success on the field.

Also, the NCAA requirements have nothing to do with Idaho States academic improvement plan. This is a plan that Idaho State put together to try to get their own house in order. The NCAA has little to do with it, but when it comes time to judge ISU, they will review that plan and see if ISU is making adequate progress. Following this plan to a "T" and being dedicated has the potential to help ISU out.

Right now, ISU has to hang onto everyone that they have. Good athletes or bad athletes, excellent students or poor students it does not matter. Because everyone that they lose, they run the risk of not being able to replace them. When you are below the required APR score you lose the ability to bring someone in if they leave not eligible.

Next, JJB regarding the player in the fall that failed classes. The argument was never about the kid failing the class. The argument was the fact that the academic team recommended a course of action that was flawed. One adviser denied it and the other took responsibility for it. Thus, the appeal with the NCAA had merit and went through. Kids will fail classes no matter what. The kid is responsible and the academic support team has a responsibility to advise a student athlete correctly. There simply was more to it than waiting for a grade to post. How do I know? As I said before, because I do.

Finally, Spartan--nice to have you back. Tingey isn't lilly white at all--and if you asked him he would tell you the same. The university has to do a better job getting on the same page and he knows it. Personally, I refuse to lay any blame on Kramer at all. He is coming into one of the most difficult situations imaginable. I will give Kramer 4-5 years EASILY with little questions asked. The task of repairing all the damage is simply that BIG.

cub...not being "bi-lingual"...i for one, appreciate you speaking plain english and explaining where we are....and how we will get out of where that is....i will repeat what i have said on other posts on this board....i am very much standing behind Kramer....that guy has a plan and WILL execute that plan..........i believe folks like the kragthorpes would have researched where their son was thinking of going and given their opinion to him if they saw something down the road detrimental to his college career....and i'm sure other parents and coaches of juco players would have done the same..... ...lets get behind him now and get our friends to do the same....you WILL be proud to say that you helped raise this program up from where we are now to where kramer will take us!!......................GO BENGALS!...........

Thanks guys.

And for the record, there is nothing preventing Kole from walking-on at Idaho State, getting things squared away and then being offered scholarship money down the road.

Kramer and Tingey are not in the business of not meeting with kids. The choice is Kole's and the lines are open to Kole and Kole alone.

With that said, I wish him the best whatever he chooses. I have heard a number of great things about the kid.

Kandy_ Krosch said:
I am Kelvin and Kole's mother and I would like to tell the REAL story. Kole was asked to grey shirt this past semester because during high school Kole took an online English class his 10th grade year. Mackay High School failed to send in the proper documentation to the NCAA Clearinghouse for that class so Kole was not cleared at the start of the first semester. Mackay finally did get the documentation corrected and Kole was eligible to play Div 1 Football. Kole was asked to get into a weight lighting class the first semester and then jump on board with the team in January. Coach Kramer called Kole in at the beginning of December and told him they were going to honor his scholarship but wanted to move him from safety to WR and then sent him to register for his classes. On December 27th Tingey called Kole while he was in Mackay for the holiday vacation and told him he did not have his scholarship because he had not scored an 18 on his ACT. Kole had scored a 17 and met all NCAA Clearinghouse requirements. That was the first time Kole had ever heard he needed an 18 on his ACT to play at ISU. Needless to say, we were extremely upset and I personally called Tingey. The conversation was not very cordial and I asked for answers that I still have not received. Tingey had made a comment to my other son that he felt since Kole had attended Mackay he did not feel Kole would be academically ready for college. When I asked Tingey about that comment, he told me that actually what he said is, "No high schools in Idaho prepare their students for the rigors of college." I could not believe that Idaho State University's Athletic Director would make a comment like that and I asked him to repeat the comment three times. I informed him that my son, Kris, was one of 4 or 5 from his recruiting class that did in fact graduate from ISU and Kelvin is also one of 4 or 5 from his recruiting class that will graduate from ISU. I asked why Kole was never called into the academic athletic office one time to discuss this issue. If Kole would have known what he needed to do he would have done it. They had 11 MONTHS TO DISCUSS THIS ISSUE with Kole. I asked Tingey if the decision was his or Coach Kramers and he told me it was Coach Kramers. I asked for Coach Kramers telephone number and he would not give it to me but said he would give him my number. I did not receive a call from Coach Kramer the first day and so I called Tingey back the next day and asked if he had given Coach Kramer my number and he said he did and Coach Kramer did not want to talk with me. I made four attempts to talk with Coach Kramer and he never would return my call. Kole wanted to meet with Coach Kramer and our family wanted to discuss Kole's option of walking on but never received the call back. Kole had other offers during high school but had decided he wanted to follow his brothers and attend ISU. We put calls out to other schools but since it was the holiday vacation no one was available but that next Monday, Boise State's Coach Choate called me and talked with me for 30 minutes. Coach Choate had coached at Challis High School during the same time period our oldest son, Brad played at Mackay. Coach Choate was very aware of the success our boys had during their high school and college years and offered Kole to visit in the spring and then jump on board with Boise State in the summer. We have always been part of the Bengal Family and this has been an extremely difficult time but as Kole told a friend, "I will always bleed orange but I guess just a different shade." The whole situation could have and should have been handled very differently. Extremely unprofessional, to say the least.

Just a couple of thoughts, it's a bit dissappointing that this happened to Kole, and it appears that the APR issues at ISU DID put him in this spot. We all knew rules, and unfortunately, our APR performance caused this casualty.

I'm pretty disappointed with the AD's comments that Idaho High Schools don't prepare students for the rigors of college, as he is not and education expert, nor has he even earned his Master’s Degree yet (at least to my understanding). I have a couple of friends from Mackay that graduated from ISU and they might take offense to that slight. I'm not going to communicate this to them, because it would do nothing to build up the program, but it is disappointing. From the outside looking in, a call to the kid and perhaps the parents, from Coach or AD to at least explain it would be positive given the families history at ISU.

QB, you're assuming that Tingey did indeed really say that, and that she didn't take that out of context, or fabricate that.. I tend to believe the latter, because I know that there is more to this story, actually a huge piece that she failed to make mention of.. Hey Kandy.. If you were going to tell the WHOLE story, don't you think you should've mentioned Kole's arrest history? Once again, a biased parent or family member coming on here to air out dirty laundry without telling the whole story.. Maybe that jogged her memory a bit, and she can come back and tell the real, WHOLE story now.. .?

tuffgong said:
QB, you're assuming that Tingey did indeed really say that, and that she didn't take that out of context, or fabricate that.. I tend to believe the latter, because I know that there is more to this story, actually a huge piece that she failed to make mention of.. Hey Kandy.. If you were going to tell the WHOLE story, don't you think you should've mentioned Kole's arrest history? Once again, a biased parent or family member coming on here to air out dirty laundry without telling the whole story.. Maybe that jogged her memory a bit, and she can come back and tell the real, WHOLE story now.. .?

That is a fair statement. I was just going with my gut reaction to her story.

The Post Register ran this story last week, and it's online. It's pretty much as stated... It's pretty fair reporting as well (the ISJ should get this guy! ;) )

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Mackays-Krosch-set-to-walk-on-at-Boise-State-64462604" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mackay High School graduate Kole Krosch will still wear orange when he plays college football next season. It'll just be a different shade.

The 2010 Mackay graduate will walk on at Boise State University next season after losing a scholarship at Idaho State due to the school's new academic requirements, which were implemented after the NCAA took away seven scholarships.

While Krosch is frustrated because he qualifies academically for every other NCAA program not on academic probation, he said the move to Boise State may turn out for the best.

"I think it may be a good thing," he said. "Me and my brother talked about it and it might be a blessing to go to a different program."

Krosch signed a letter of intent a year ago as part of John Zamberlin's last recruiting class at Idaho State. But he grayshirted this fall due to paperwork issues with his transcript. He was eventually declared academically eligible, but by grayshirting, he did not go on scholarship.

Then, the NCAA cracked down on Idaho State for low Academic Progress Rate (APR) scores and took away seven scholarships. Idaho State submitted a plan to the NCAA to get those scholarships back that stated all future recruits will need a 2.5 GPA in their core academic classes and a minimum of an 18 in both the math and English portions of the ACT, or the SAT equivalent. Both of those requirements are well above the NCAA minimum.

But because Krosh grayshirted, he was technically a new recruit for the 2011 class and was subjected to the new requirements. He just missed the ACT test score goal.

He could still walk on at Idaho State, but left with the choice to walk on at Idaho State or Boise State, he chose the big-time program.

"I already talked to (special teams coach Jeff) Choate, and he told me to come down in spring ball, check out everything, meet all the coaches," Krosch said. ""And then, if I like it, I'll be able to start in the summer.""

Idaho State athletic director Jeff Tingey can not comment on a student's academics. But he said the high bar the school has set for its recruits is to show the NCAA it is taking its academic progress scores seriously.

"We'd like to do so well that they give us back all seven (scholarships) in one year," Tingey said. "We want to able to say, 'Look at the changes we've made, look at the requirements we've put in.' "

If he's anything like his brother, then I'm sure that Cole is a fine ballplayer. But I wonder if he'd get a chance to get any playing time at a place like BSU. I mean, this year they'll have two wide receivers drafted in the first few rounds, and they've got some depth at that position. Oh well, it doesn't hurt to try. If he doesn't make it then he can always come back to ISU and play right away and get a scholarship there.

Latest posts

Back