• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Is PSU in trouble?????

Portland State is one of the worst environments for colllege football I've experienced. The stadium is cold, dark and sterile, and usually about 65 percent empty. The local papers bury any coverage of the team, while Oregon and Oregon State get front-page, full page coverage on game days. PSU football is already "irrelevant" for most of the Portland area. The only saving grace is there is still a lot of local talent to draw from, and Walsh can still use the city of Portland to help recruit California kids. The team remains consistently competitive, but nobody in the city really cares.

The Pokey Allen days were special for a couple of reasons: Allen was a certifiable character, and the marketing firm took full advantage of that. (I love the meteriorite gag described in the story linked above). You can only get away with stuff like that if you've got a coach with the personality to go with it. Tim Walsh, while he's a solid football coach, is no Pokey Allen. Montana State, on the other hand, has really taken advantage of Mike Kramer's outgoing personality and they are selling out just about every home game these days.

When you're trying to market 1-AA football, especially in a situation like Portland, you really need to consider personality as well as football knowledge when you're hiring a coach.

I have to agree with you about the enviroment in Portland. I was about ready to jump off a roof after the game last year. I won't be marking that date next year as a game to make it to.

Latest posts

Back