• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

ISJ article: ISU leadership THE problem

biobengal

Surprised this has not been mentioned.

Http://www.idahostatejournal.com/news/local/isu-supporters-say-university-s-athletics-will-continue-to-fail/article_0d7155f6-55e4-5a0c-b196-81677a355164.html

spartan said:
the letter writers are all morons

write a big check or stfu

The writers are already boosters AKA have already written a check. Most likely multiple checks. If the administration has no plans to do any upgrade or even fundraise why contribute even more. They have paid their dues and have the right to not sit back and not say anything. IMO i like that they have came out and voiced their opinions.

NewBengFan said:
spartan said:
the letter writers are all morons

write a big check or stfu

The writers are already boosters AKA have already written a check. Most likely multiple checks. If the administration has no plans to do any upgrade or even fundraise why contribute even more. They have paid their dues and have the right to not sit back and not say anything. IMO i like that they have came out and voiced their opinions.

Should NewBengalFan say more Spartan? i believe he answered your question. Geeze. Telling me to write a check.

Thus the reason I have never joined the FAT club. A bunch of former jocks who get together and talk about how much better job they can do coaching, administrating, and fund raising, none of which they do on a regular basis. Most boosters are not members of the FAT club, so the statement that implied the athletic boosters want Tinley out is over stated. Better to state the truth, the FAT club wants him out, just as they wanted Lewis and Zamberlin out. They then start down the path of Texas boosters, do what we want or we won't help you, we know best because we have money, no one knows as much as we do, fire, fire, fire. Could we just once get real solutions that are better for all, not just the few who who make demands that in the long view they will not be held accountable for.

I don't think there could've been a worse possible time for these shenanigans. This witch hunt is more damaging to the program than the issue itself. We're at the beginning of Fall practice with our season getting ready to be in full swing and F.A.T decides to pull out the pitchforks now?! We have new students, players, families and fans starting with the Bengal family at this very moment and this topic is now the headliner, not the team and their progress.

I've been a huge supporter of F.A.T., but I can't support the decision to pull this stunt while we're getting ready to start our season and have it blasted in the local news. Our coaches and players need to worry about turning their season around, not the drama in the parking lot and what should be handled behind closed doors. I realize there needs to be change, but this is most certainly the wrong time and wrong way to go about it.

I'm on the fence. I remember way back when ISU's basketball team surprised everyone with a NCAA tournament win against UCLA. I remember the 70's and 80's when all three Idaho schools were competitive in the Big Sky Conference. The stands were packed, the crowd was loud and it seemed that things couldn't be better for the Bengals. I've been to the Mini-Dome (now Holt Arena) when BSU came to town where it was standing room only, taxing the ventilation system to the max. Some of those former players mentioned in the article were a part of those experiences.

On the other hand, the timing of this letter and article is suspect. Why not bring this up in the spring after graduation ceremonies? That would give the school and these names an opportunity to work thru the points that they mention.

With that said, my thought on the subject is that Vailas and Tingey are not the problem here. But they could be the solution. The competitiveness as a whole has fallen over a number, I mean a number of years. And, it's not going to fixed in a year or two.

The president should know that athletics is typically the face of the university. He needs to find a way to leverage the athletic program to benefit the school by attracting more students. Tingey needs to bring in coaches and thru them, the players to make steady improvements in their success on the field or in the gym as well as the classroom. If he can't, then Vailas needs to make a business decision and find someone that can. They both need to reach out to the business community to see how they can partner with the university to achieve the improvements needed. And not necessarily the same dozen or so businesses. New blood, new money. If they can have measured success in the next few years, everyone looks like geniuses. If not, the school needs to find the leadership that can move the athletic programs forward.

The fans need to embrace the program. Negative attitudes will dampen any enthusiasm. No disrespect intended, but "Write a check or..." is not the attitude of just one individual in Eastern Idaho. All of the fans, including these guys have to be a part of the solution, too.

Just my thoughts... Fire away with comments.

Kramer was hired by Tingey to correct the APR problem and to get players graduated. He was not hired to win games. They both said that many times. Tingey now feels it is time to be competitive and to win games. That is why he made a head coaching change.

Interesting turn of events! Vailas announces his retirement today, but finishing out the 17/18 school year. It's been reported that he's been considering this for awhile, but the timing sure does raise some eyebrows.

any hint or suggestion that the bullshit letter from the fat morons and the president retiring is ludicrous

I wouldn't necessarily say brilliance is calling the very group that supports, fund raises and feeds our team during games a bunch of morons.

We may disagree with their stance and timing of this, but I will continue to support everything they've done and continue to do for this team.

If you are interested in some insight into this. Good interview with Mike Machurek.
http://www.ktik.com/idaho-sports-talk-with-caves-and-prater-podcast/

It's a lot more than just leadership, it's money, facilities, and Pocatello can be difficult to recruit to. But once we get the ball rolling in football, then recruiting will be a lot easier. I don't agree with a lot of what Mike and the others have said, in fact most of it has been debunked by Tingey. Vailas is a lot more pro-athletics than some of the other presidents we've had, and I think that Jeff has done a fine job at ISU, considering the circumstances that we've been through. If Vailas thought he was doing a bad job, then he would have gotten rid of him long ago. It's not most of the boosters and alums that want to see Vailas and Tingey gone, it's just a few vocal ex-football players that run the F.A.T. program. It's not right for the F.A.T. leadership to blackmail the university like that by withholding funds raised by many Bengal supporters, because I'm sure they want their money to be used what it was intended for. You won't ever see me giving a penny to F.A.T., all my money will be going to BAB. And Mike said on the radio that Tingey's unapproachable, and I don't see that at all. It's Mike that's unapproachable, if you've ever met the guy.

Vailas out at ISU, most likely unrelated to the current situation. However, not sad to see him go. Vailas couldn't keep bad press and controversy at bay. Universally dislike by the faculty as he sought to increase research, but research was flat during his tenure, enrollment flat, but administration grew.

There was great hope when he came on and was generally seen as friendly to athletics. Instead, Vailas has overseen the decline of ISU athletics, declining support and chasing the easy FBS money.

Latest posts

Back