• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

ISU FOOTBALL---COACHING CHANGE

GOBIGORANGE

I just heard Coach Orthman is being replaced as Offensive Coordinator! Is this true? And by who? Is he still part of ISU Football? Anyone have comments on this topic?

Better be careful about spreading unsubstantiated rumors about coaching changes. Otherwise Frank will come in here and give you hell for it. Because free speech isn't allowed here.

Interesting if true. Because of past and present recruiting we are some what restricted to running a spread offense. The only fullback we have is Knickrelm with Laporta at RB. This late in the game, this could really impact recruiting, expecially the Texas kids which would be Orthmans area. In addition it could impact any other kids Orthman was recruiting. I cannot find anyplace where he has surfaced on the internet, but that don't mean he is still with us. With the coaches out recruiting it is difficult to get a feel for who is around or not. The next problem is, what kind of coach do you go after if it is true. Making whole sale changes to the offense after a 1-11 season, don't see it happening. Not when the question of keeping your job is foremost in the coaching staffs minds. It would take two to four years to make a major change. Two years if they just changed to a more balanced attack like Weber's. I wonder, is one of the young Offensive coaches ready for the responsiblility, I don't know. Both Jensen and Miller have the potential of being good offensive coordinators, question is are they ready yet. The other problem, no moves on the offensive side of the ball are going to fix our defensive problems. To be honest we really didn't need anything happening on the offensive side of the ball when we have so many issues on the defensive side.

Sorry, Orange--the comment was directed to the person that created a profile to talk shit.

As for you letuknow--I have a special Christmas package for you to unwrap when you get a chance.

Maybe Orthman is still coaching the offensive line or maybe he sees the writing on the wall with this program and is getting out before finding a job becomes impossible.

I am sure there are options being considered to replace the OC. From within, no doubt is a possibility.

As far as the necessity to run only a 'spread' offense, and we are only capable of doing that due to lack of fullback, well I don't see it that way. We had our TE(Messersmith) in an H-back role at times and we had 2 other tight ends that could have been much more productive but weren't given the opportunity.

We should be recruiting plenty of RB's and should again see a TE(Walker and Hjelseth) in some kind of H-back role.
One of Orthmann's downfalls was not utilizing the TE more in the offense. They all were capable of contributing and making plays but he put his eggs all in the WR slot and them 'making the plays' all the while, forgetting about the TE's and RARELY putting them in patterns down the middle or in seams. They were never the first option.
This should change with the new OC.
No reason for it to take 2 years for the team to learn a 'balanced' or even a 'pro-set' offense.

As far as the defense, I beleive that Strandley and Co. didn't have the horses to get it done.
Injuries up front hurt us alot. He is a solid coach and can do well with the right athletes.
Bottomline, this year's recruiting class in many positions, will need to fill some holes and contribute asap.

Messersmith was a fullback in JC, we converted him to TE. Walker and Hjeseth are not the same body build as Messersmith although I believe Walker is mean enough to play fullback. Really though, do you really want to go to war with a TE playing fullback. We have two RB's on the team now, three if Bartholome comes in. We need at least two ready to play this year and one to redshirt if we run a two back set. We probley need two to play this year even if we don't run a two back as runningbacks take alot of abuse. As for using the TE's, I listened to years of complaining before Orthman when Barnum was here, changing the OC didn't make any difference. Simply stated, we have a bunch of WR's and two runningbacks, what do you think were are going to do?

Messersmith was a TE/H-Back not a bonafide FB.
He was also a TE at his previous college before JC.
Hjelseth(he was a WR in hs) may not have the build yet to be FB but Walker does.
The need for a fullback is legit. There are times when we need the TE's on the line AND a FB in the backfield.
I was more trying to convey the idea to get away from the spread as much as we did as our base style.
I am opposed to putting that many WR on the field for the majority of plays that Orthmann seemed to.
We really didn't and don't have the personnel to run it effectively. We abandoned the run often and we depended upon the WR way too much which was part of my contention about not utilizing the TE more in the passing game, especially to the middle of the field.
Weber had a TE/Hback/WR guy named Nakamura that was very effective and provided outlets and primary target while opposing teams looked to defend their wideouts.
I guess it is just going to depend upon what offense will be our base.
I think we need to put in place one that our team will be most capable of executing effectively based upon our personnel.

I don't disagree concerning Orthman not running the ball enough, he is a pass happy kind of guy who always looks for the exciting strke, thats why he was hired. If you remember right, I told you we wouldn't like Orthman if you thought Barnum passed to much, his offense came from Baylor. But that does not change the fact that we only have two RB's in school right now. We list several backs on Scout and Rival we are recruiting, and I'm sure there are some we don't show on, but that don't have them in school and ready to contribute next year. You need more than two RB's to get through the season. As to not having the personnel to run the spread, who is going to block on running plays at wideout; Burel or Taylor, the only WR's we have with the size to block are sophomores. No matter who the OC is, we need at least two RB's ready to play now and one to redshirt. You can redshirt two if the others stay healthy. Knickrelm is a power back who always is going forward, a back who blocks well but is not threat to go the distance. Laporta is like the kid at Weber, I believe the coaching staff under estimates his abilities, like many thinking the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. He is solid and will do a good job, getting better with time in the weightroom and on the field.

Agreed.
I sure hope we get at least 1 solid JC RB that can produce asap.
And I have heard the same thing about Bennie Laporta-nothing but good stuff and that he will surprise a few next season and beyond.
We have many recruits coming up for visits in the next couple of weekends.
I know of a few that we would be extremely fortunate to get.
I still think we and the university have a lot to offer.

If Blum is the QB then i think things will progress for the offense. Like another poster said the O is not the problem. We need a stout Defense this year and the years to come if we are going to go anywhere. We need a lagit pass rusher or 2 to cause any kind of problems for the opposing teams. That is why UM does not have the NC title right now in my opinion. Richmond had a D-lineman that was a huge problem for Berquist All game.

Definitely keep Blum as a QB, no offense to Russell. Blum adds mobility and a rocket-launcher for a cannon. Anyone here remember the 64 yard bomb...on the fly?

mighty_bengals .... one career post and it busted on me....thanks. Anyways, there might be a press release regarding this thread later today one way or the other. Remember, John has been on the road recruiting, and I've been out with basketball, so we are finally both in the office at the same time....for once.

ISUSID

Latest posts

Back