• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

ISU Signs Blake Truman

SLCBengal

Bengals add another big, sign 6'8" Blake Truman from Snow College...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/IdahoStateBball/status/852915037245132801[/tweet]
https://twitter.com/IdahoStateBball/status/852915037245132801

Snow College Stats

So ISU has added almost 20 rebounds per game in JC production in the last two days. For a team that finished last in the conference in rebounding that is a good thing.
Barring any unforeseen events, ISU has finished its recruiting in record time. Here is what the depth chart looks like to me at this very early stage:
PG
Dowd
Garrity
Sutton

SG
Boyd
Mocsan
Nakken

SF
Luzcando
Chivichyan

PF
McCord
Truman
Kimberly

C
Topalovic
Ingram

Looks like a decent team with depth and potential productivity at each position. Solving the defensive issues will be the major concern.

It's going to be very interesting watching these guards play together not much size there. Do you feel we added speed to the roster? If we play man or zone we're going to need to be quick, last years team didn't recover fast enough on defense. Getting back on defense and recovering as the ball is passed around is the key to playing good defense. Next year we have to cut down on the open 3's and get a hand in the shooter face. Adding size is huge now maybe we can control the paint.

Hank42 said:
It's going to be very interesting watching these guards play together not much size there. Do you feel we added speed to the roster? If we play man or zone we're going to need to be quick, last years team didn't recover fast enough on defense. Getting back on defense and recovering as the ball is passed around is the key to playing good defense. Next year we have to cut down on the open 3's and get a hand in the shooter face. Adding size is huge now maybe we can control the paint.

They can play Geno or Chivichyan at the two if they want more length in the back court, but you are right, not a lot of size there. Fixing the D is still the major issue, no question. ISU has the ability to go big up front, but you are right, recovering to shooters was a significant problem. In my view there are two questions: what defensive style do you want to play, and do you have the players to execute it? We shall see.

I think we're going to fine as long as we stay healthy, we've added depth and that's what hurt us last year. With the addition to the team if we get the chemistry together and play as one unit we'll be fine.

I think we're going to fine as long as we stay healthy, we've added depth and that's what hurt us last year. With the addition to the team if we get the chemistry together and play as one unit we'll be fine.

....somebody help me....I thought we could have 15 on the roster ?....I count 13 on Skippy's post....so could we not pick up two more ?....or is there someone coming back from a mission, etc that I am not aware of ?....or are you guys just thinking we are going with 13 ?....thanks in advance for educating me.... :notworthy:

I was told ISU is done recruiting this year, but I only count 12 scholarship players, unless they are going to give one to a walk-on. I know they really liked Sutton's play in practice last year.

Coach must have a lot of confidence in Dowd at the point. I'm a little nervous that we will have a lot of uncertainty at that position and not a lot of proven depth. Telfair's collapse last year shows the difference that a point guard can make. .

Loyal Fan said:
Coach must have a lot of confidence in Dowd at the point. I'm a little nervous that we will have a lot of uncertainty at that position and not a lot of proven depth. Telfair's collapse last year shows the difference that a point guard can make. .

Dowd averaged 35 mpg last season -- looking at this roster, he'll probably be close to that this year. Garrity, if he can stay healthy and eligible, and Boyd can each play a few minutes there. As I said earlier the coaches liked Sutton last year. But I suspect they are going to ride Dowd as far as he'll take them.

Any word on how the summer work outs are coming along, curious to hear feed back about the new addition.

I went up and watched them for 30 minutes today. I'm no expert, but here were my observations in no particular order:

1. Sam Dowd was the only new guy here for the summer. One of the JC bigs had a class to take and another one just got married.

2. Dowd never stops running. He has an amazing motor and seems to be fearless. Also seems to be a real leader.

3. Ingram and Chivichyan looked great. It was great to see them back at 100%.

4. Kimberly looked good playing against Ingram during a scrimmage. He needs to add weight, but he clearly has skills around the basket. Coach Evans seems to think he will see some playing time, which will be no mean feat with all the bigs we have this year.

5. Topalovic is playing with the Serbian national team for the summer. Chivichyan and Luzcando will play with their national teams later in the year. Mocsan was invited to play with the Hungarian team, but opted not to play.

6. Garrity wasn't there, and I heard that he may have reinjured his knee.

7. Coach Evans has suggested to me on a number of occasions that they are going to be in man most of the time. He made an interesting comment, that the matchup zone just has a hard time with all the 3-point shooters there are in the Big Sky. He also said that he thinks he will have two bigs playing most of the time. That is understandable when he has 5 players 6/8" and taller.

8. If Garrity misses some of the season, I worry about our depth at point guard. Dowd better be ready to play a lot of minutes. I think Sutton would be the other backup, and I didn't see him today. Not sure why.

Loyal Fan said:
I went up and watched them for 30 minutes today. I'm no expert, but here were my observations in no particular order:

1. Sam Dowd was the only new guy here for the summer. One of the JC bigs had a class to take and another one just got married.

2. Dowd never stops running. He has an amazing motor and seems to be fearless. Also seems to be a real leader.

3. Ingram and Chivichyan looked great. It was great to see them back at 100%.

4. Kimberly looked good playing against Ingram during a scrimmage. He needs to add weight, but he clearly has skills around the basket. Coach Evans seems to think he will see some playing time, which will be no mean feat with all the bigs we have this year.

5. Topalovic is playing with the Serbian national team for the summer. Chivichyan and Luzcando will play with their national teams later in the year. Mocsan was invited to play with the Hungarian team, but opted not to play.

6. Garrity wasn't there, and I heard that he may have reinjured his knee.

7. Coach Evans has suggested to me on a number of occasions that they are going to be in man most of the time. He made an interesting comment, that the matchup zone just has a hard time with all the 3-point shooters there are in the Big Sky. He also said that he thinks he will have two bigs playing most of the time. That is understandable when he has 5 players 6/8" and taller.

8. If Garrity misses some of the season, I worry about our depth at point guard. Dowd better be ready to play a lot of minutes. I think Sutton would be the other backup, and I didn't see him today. Not sure why.

Sounds like Boyd may have to play a few minutes at the point. It strikes me that ISU doesn't have ideal personnel this year to play a lot of man defense, but I also understand the Big Sky is a shooter's league and ISU has really struggled in the matchup zone the last couple of seasons. Making a commitment to playing man early will at least give the players more time to work on man principles.

Garrity had surgery on his other knee about a month ago. Says he's going to be better this year. I know Lyle Sutton got married on May 13th. Blake Truman got married on May 27th.

Let's hope we have more team leaders step up, we need to be more vocal on and off the court. The PG spot should to take care of it self with the smaller guards if they want playing time. Boyd is going have to step up and become a pass first guard he handles the ball well enough BUT he has to make everyone on the court better. Defense is a huge issue and that's what we need to improve on I have confidence in the coaching staff and I'm sure all the issue will be worked out before Nov 10 ASU.

Latest posts

Back